Unsure CPU

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Unsure CPU

Postby sweetamber92 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:33 pm

(also posted on overclockers)
I'm thinking about purchasing this [link] as its the only i7 on overclockers that will fit my current board, but im scared it will have 8packs pubes on and might break. (It clearly states at the bottom of the page that it may have thermal grease residue with pubes in it)
Its quite a substantial purchase to make, im used to buying retail or OEM CPU's can someone explain "binned" CPU's im a noob. :3
Thankyou
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Re: Unsure CPU

Postby Security on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Simply said product binning is a way to select and categorize products mainly used in the CPU and GPU business.
Normally a company like Intel designs a chip to function at a max specific speed, for example this 3.5Ghz quad core CPU, not all the CPU's that come off a wafer will meet the specs but can be sold as a slower version, for example a 3Ghz quad core. That process is called binning.

In this case it means that someone (an overclocker named 8Pack) filtered out the best performing chips of them all (or at least they claim) so they can be sold as such by Overclockers, this process is also often called cherry picking. These chips perform allot better then what they were originally designed for, it could be that this chip does over 5Ghz when you use LN2 to cool it where a lesser chip wouldn't be able to run at that speed under the same conditions.

Anyway, unless you are planning on (extremely) overclocking the CPU you are better off buying the standard chip for less if that is an option.

Edit: Clarified allot of stuff. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Reeeeading between the lines, this is probably an old tester chip used in their overclocking demos/records, LN2 tests and the like. Being rebranded as a bonus, but means it has probably had a crazy high voltage pushed through it during to hit those speeds, wouldn't be too hopeful of it now lasting indefinitely... that 90 day warranty isn't very inspiring either.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby sweetamber92 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 pm

The main reason I was looking at it is because its seemingly the cheapest lga1155 17 on their site... I dont really fancy buying one from sketchy ebay or the odd sellers that iv never heard of that stock them on amazon. lga1155 i7 seem rare now :( just cant seem to find them stocked anywhere reputable.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby ApacheFlame on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:46 pm

Possibly delidded as well, sounds like more hassle than it's worth. You can probably get a very reasonable new mobo and comparable processor (speed wise) for similar?
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby sweetamber92 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Yea im thinking im probably going to have to shell out on both a new mobo and processor as im not going to get much more speed regardless of how much i shell out and overclock an older haswell... will have to wait till next payday.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets