RAM help

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

RAM help

Postby Cass0 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi guys,

Been a long time since I posted here but need a bit of PC help.

I've just bought myself an early Christmas present; some http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-8gb ... 3m2a1866c9 for my PC but don't know if I've bought the wrong RAM for my system. It's the 1800mhz version that I've purchased.

My motherboard is MSI 890fxa gd70 with AMD phenom II x4 black edition.

The mobo specs state that my board can support the RAM I've bought but only over clocked. Would I have to manual adjust the RAM in bios in order to achieve the speed stated on the RAM or would it set automatically. If it has to be set manually would somebody be able to recommend the correct settings/ timings I should use or whether I should invest in some other RAM? I just bought it thinking 1800mhz was better but in further research I'm completely confused as to whether it's going to be able to run on my system.

Much appreciated.

Cass0
Old Timer

Player: Cass0
STEAM_0:0:296845

Re: RAM help

Postby coldandtired on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:26 am

You can use MSI's utility program to do it but you probably won't notice much difference in everyday use.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Re: RAM help

Postby hagz on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 am

you may find it works out of the box but you only have to overclock the board if you want to get the top speed. tbh I doubt you will see much difference in the overclock unless your doing something quite intensive tbh
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: Hagz/koalaty.ovh
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets