Monitor buying help

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

Monitor buying help

Postby heuji on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:49 pm

the last time i bought a monitor you looked for 5ms (actually it was so long ago it might have been 6 or 8ms) response time and not much else. also, there's no point in having a reasonable gfx card if i can't push it a little in a new fancy bells and whistles single player. so, i guess at least it needs to be, bare minimum, capable of 1080p with i guess a refresh of ~2ms??
here's where i hit the wall with my monitor knowledge. i will do some reading up too, but, is there any other stuff i need to look out for? i see this nvidia g-sync on some. is that only useful for nvidia cards? i do want to stick with radeon as i prefer the way they render stuff. see, to me this looks like a great gaming monitor (sorry, monitor for gaming) for example: BenQ 24-Inch Monitor. £100 sounds scarily cheap which is the reason i'm posting this topic. what am i missing, or, are monitors dirt cheap now? i mean a monitor with a 'gaming' tag seems to be treble or quadruple the price. i like my visuals, but, i'm not paying that sort of money if it is just for a 'slightly' smoother game.
ohh, i don't currently have a gfx card as i'm just using my i5 6600k's on chip gfx. it's a 100fps in TF2 and that's more than fine while i save for these final two components.

ideally i want to spend not much more than £200 on the monitor. if a decent enough monitor is only £100 i'd rather get 2 and dual screen (or get a 27-inch) than a monitor that's only marginally better. come on techies, hit me with the news.
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Re: Monitor buying help

Postby heuji on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:52 pm

ohh, here was another monitor i really liked the look of: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM57 ... ed-monitor
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Silkie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Not very helpful I know but that monitor is just crying out for old school super wide screen schmups. IIRC there is a Darius version on Steam.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby hagz on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:14 am

can't comment on that particular model but I bought a Benq monitor after 15 years of using Samsung screens and found my one to be excellent mine is more expensive admittedly but not much more so I would go with any reviews on the site.
hagz
Senior Admin

Player: ES'9/Hagz
STEAM_0:1:5480023

Postby heuji on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:47 am

yeah, the benq monitors are sweet but there does seem a little bit of label inflation with them.
what model did you get if you dont mind me asking?
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets