serious problem cant get on my pc :(

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

serious problem cant get on my pc :(

Postby weetabix on Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:52 pm

ok so basically i moved my pc from one room to another today. picked it up gently, carried it carefully, placed it down gently. then i plug in the stuff and load up the pc. all is fine. open firefox and the screen freezes. and the pc starts making noise like its playing css on max graphics or something even though its just firefox. so after 10 seconds like this i switch it off. then when i turn it back on it gets halfway through loading and freezes again. tried another 10 times and now the monitor doesn't even recognise that the pc is loading any more. tried it with a different monitor and its the same.

i'll take it down to get it seen to tomorrow but any ideas whats wrong with it? is the graphics card broken?

My PC is:
Processor : Intel® Pentium® 4 530 HT Processor
Memory : 1024MB DDR RAM (2x 512MB)
Hard Disk : 400GB (2x 200GB) 7200 RPM Serial ATA Drive
External HD: 250GB 7200 RPM (USB2/Firewire)
Optical 1 : 16x Dual Layer DVD-Rw Drive
Optical 2 : 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Graphics : 256MB ATi X600 PCI Express Graphics Card
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: weetabix
STEAM_0:0:4772217

Postby saggymanboobs on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:15 pm

What's it on? (desk/floor/ceiling/shelf??) Stupid sounding question, but it is relevant.

A few reasons. Flat? no? case will twist and can force cards out of slots or can twist/warp/flex the mobo making no connection with...ram...cpu...agp/pci cards...even power!
Surface? Carpet is bad. Carpet is bad. CARPET is BAD. Static travels through carpet like nothing else I've ever seen. I've had a carpet that cost me three motherboards before I realised what was happenning. I walked across the room and the PC stopped working. Just stopped. Took it apart and everthing was cooked - I generated a massive power surge that found earth as quickly as it could - through my pc case.

Check fans, connectors, heatsinks. Especially check the cpu heatsink. I said check it, don't f*ck with it, lol.

Check power connectors.

Check all cards (ram, gfx and add-ins) are seated 100% correctly.

I'll think of more. I'd fix the thing if I could get there, FOC. Scotland from Brighton...ouch!

- Saggy
Sarah says: I am indeed, enjoying the big willy so to speak!

Fede said: oh col, gotta tell you this, i had a dream, and you were in it as a mexican wrestler, fully tatooed and with an awesome costume :D
saggymanboobs
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Saggymanboobs
STEAM_0:1:1621139

Postby weetabix on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:34 pm

it could be the carpet i guess, it was on there for a minute whilst i was putting cables behind the desk, then again when i was checking the leads, just before it stopped loading entirely.
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby saggymanboobs on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:48 pm

Nowt a trusty yellow pages can't help with, lol- it'll insulate the pc nicely. Also works as a good dampener for floorstanding speakers if you don't have low contact points.

Check all the other bits chap. Especially check everything is seated in it's slot.

One last thing, plug it direct into the wall, not through a skanky old 4 way.

- Saggy
Sarah says: I am indeed, enjoying the big willy so to speak!

Fede said: oh col, gotta tell you this, i had a dream, and you were in it as a mexican wrestler, fully tatooed and with an awesome costume :D
saggymanboobs
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Saggymanboobs
STEAM_0:1:1621139

Re: serious problem cant get on my pc :(

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:47 am

1 or 2 questions
Does it beep, or make a series of beeps at boot up. ?
This is POST(Power On Self Test).
If it does what is the rythym of the beeps. ?

Can you boot into Safe mode. Press F8 after bios start.

Have you checked your BIOS settings.

OK now the easy bit.

Check all devices are correctly seated in there sockets and unplug all the drives.
Turn On and it should at least show the system Boot Up.

Reconnect the drives 1 at a time starting with the floppy, then the CD. If all is well at this stage plug in the HDD and see what happens.

If it fails at any point report back in, or get me on MSN if Possible.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby weetabix on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:21 am

i'll try reconnecting all the devices tomorrow after ive slept.

no beeps, no way to tell if im in the bios screen since neither monitor gets a signal from the pc.
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:33 am

weetabix wrote:i'll try reconnecting all the devices tomorrow after ive slept.

no beeps, no way to tell if im in the bios screen since neither monitor gets a signal from the pc.

Do the led's on the k/b flash when it tries to start.

This sounds more like a PSU problem.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby weetabix on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:17 am

nothing on the keyboard leds, didnt notice that before since the desk in that room has one of those annoying foldback bits.

also tried ridding the pc of power, unplugged and then pressed the power button and the lights on the front lit up for a couple of seconds, dunno if thats normal but it didnt happen the last time i did that on my pc.
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby gandy on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:35 am

here is some thing you can try....

Take out...
Graphics card
Sound card
memory unplug your hard drives and optical drives
and the only thing you want left on the motherboard is the cpu. After you done that put it all back in and plug it all in and power up.. i
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Little_Devil on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:56 am

weetabix wrote:nothing on the keyboard leds, didnt notice that before since the desk in that room has one of those annoying foldback bits.

also tried ridding the pc of power, unplugged and then pressed the power button and the lights on the front lit up for a couple of seconds, dunno if thats normal but it didnt happen the last time i did that on my pc.

Residual power stored in capacitors on the system can cause a brief flash of the LED's . Depends how long the power has been off, thats quite normal.

I presume from this that when you turn your computer on that the fans start up?

Ok before you touch anything inside the comp as Gand has suggested that you do, you can do a few things first.

Do a good visual check of all the leads and seatings of the boards for anything loose.

I personally would go with the steos I provided earlier, however there is nothing wrong with stripping the comp as long as you feel confident in doing so.

First check that the internal speaker is actually plugged inti the mobo. As you are not getting any beeps at startup this can meen one of two things, either the speaker aint plugged in, or you are not getting any power to the mobo. Given that you have no video I would presume the latter.

Next check the power supply connectors are plugged in properly, if they are not or one of them has come out this will have that effect.
Make sure that the Square 4 pin one is plugged in properly otherwise this will have the effect you are describing.
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby weetabix on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:00 pm

decided to take my pc down to pcworld for a diagnosis, cost me £20 and the first thing they said when i collected it is that in future i shouldnt add so many extras to my pc.

i have not installed any extras to this pc. i f&%£ing hate tiny now (yes i know i was a noob when i bought it).

their diagnosis:
installation of graphics card so close to other cards may have overheated damaging card and slot
power supply not capable of sustaining this system
potential damage to mb/cpu
unable to test cpu/mb further, probably have to strip down machine and remove all alterations to system and start from there. this would be required to claim under 1yr manufacturers warranty.
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby gandy on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:09 pm

why on earth did you take it to pc world...they are full of shit and you can take a fully working system to them and they will tell you that it needs new parts. If you want to take it to a computer shop to be check find a local one and take it there as you will get a more honest report on whats wrong..and they will test the mobo and cpu for you.

tbh im thinking that when you moved it you could of damaged the cpu core :(
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby weetabix on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:21 pm

nah i think its had problems with overheating before so with the summer weather and everything it may have just been too much. i took it to pcworld cos its just down the road and i was too lazy to go further than that.

the report also had:

350W power supply not sufficient to maintain adjustments to system
2 hdd ok
2 ram sticks ok
2 optical drives ok
pci-e graphics card does not function in test system
pci-e slot on mb fails to work with test cards

it came with all 6 slots taken, graphics, sound, network, digital tv, firewire, wireless network so its kinda packed in there.
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:08 pm

I would not trust pc world to fix my torch, probably tell me I had the battery in the wrong way round. :roll:

So they are saying that they don't know if it is the mobo or graphics card then. Stupid idiots, what did the POST say it was. These Bozos have taken your money and done nothing, Gah.

Oh yeah as for the PSU not being big enough, sorry they do not know what they are talking about.

PS did they suggest you buy a new PC from them?
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby weetabix on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:27 pm

no they sugested that i send it to tiny to get it fixed/more probably replaced
coco pops are evil!
weetabix
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby ƒookin ßomboclaat!!™ on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:50 pm

i have an isider for pc world and ill let you into something . be lucky ya system did not boot as if it did they would have returned it with a formatted hard drive. they are not software engineers and half of them havent even done an a+ in hardware. so the check list that is circulated tels them to forat ne hard drives to avoid driver conflicts.

backwards. dont take it there again please. mastercare are shit aswell and you would be intrigued to know that they are all the same company

tiny time computer center curries pcworld comet are all owned by the same dixons group.
ImageImage
ƒookin ßomboclaat!!™
Old Timer

Player: Rastaman-FB
STEAM_0:1:2712314

Return to PC World, Technology and Gadgets