To dual or not to dual? that is the question !!

Discussions about all aspects of technology, what you're doing with it and exchange of ideas and solutions to problems you might be having.

To dual or not to dual? that is the question !!

Postby WaitNBleeD on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:55 pm

Ok, so all of a sudden we've got "dual core" technology on our doorstep, and things are starting to look a bit edgy for "single core" processors !!.

I'd like to try and keep this thread AMD friendly tbh, seeing as though AMD is going to be my processor of choice when I get my new system :roll: .

So what do you guys think about dual core processors?. Is there any need?, are they worth it? would a single core FX-57 last the test of time?.

After all, I got my FX-53 just over 12 months ago, and already tracking one down just to compare prices seems near impossible without some extreme google'ing :? . AMD seem a little too anxious to sell the FX-57 to a consumer market that craves the latest stuff, ie: dual core. Even more worrying !!, are they just as anxious to discard the FX-57 once dual core processors start to be more of a requirement rather than a fancy gimmick :? .

They've been so quick to disregard the FX-53 that it makes me wonder just how long the FX-57 is going to be regarded as the "Best AMD processor", well, at the moment anyway. FX-53 was the bees knees when it came out, and like i've already said, they appear to be vanishing from the face of the planet as I type !!.

My (and probably a lot of other people's) dilemma is, should I go for a powerful single core processor (FX-57, 2.8Ghz)) and take the risk that AMD are not gonna disbandon the single core generation just as quickly as they seem to be doing with older versions??, or should I opt for the seemingly next big thing, dual core (2.4Ghz), with regards to multitasking and future hardware/games??

I know that single core processors will be with us for years to come yet, but it's important to look towards the future, especially with regards to pc's/gaming

What do you guys think about it all ??.

ps: this isn't just a way of helping me decide what I really want, although i'm having a hell of a nightmare deciding !!, I also think it would be nice to hear what everyone thinks and see how we all feel about the future of gaming (processor wise anyway). Is anyone else worried that their brand spanking new single core processor-powered rig might not cut it in 12 months time ??. I wasn't 12 months ago, but I am now :cry: .
WaitNBleeD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Piefinger
STEAM_0:1:542294

Postby LuckyNV on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:37 pm

currently only the OS and specific tasks fully utilises SMP (multiple CPUs) like transcoding...

however, in the near future games will take advantage of dual cores.

which dual core CPU is in question? so it would be out of the FX57 and a dual core...

If i were to get a new CPU now and I was willing to spend that much, I'd go dual core option anyday, in single core mode, gaming it will be fast enough, once dual core is used, it would blow away the FX57
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby La Chavvy on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:38 pm

I still thing Single Core processor is the best.

Why you may ask well heres my little Phear Essay:

There is less heat dissipated from the processor, clearly as there is only 1 processor less heat is created, thus you have a cooler system. Though this point is debateable, I still reckon that the single processor will run cooly, which means more overclocking potential etc etc.

Multi tasking processor are almost unknown in the present day, and by companys undergoing this method of CPU usage, would imply that software would have to be either dual or singular cpu. As most consumers use singular processing, the software will follow, meaning that the transfer from single processing software to dual processing will be extremely long, meaning that its not really worth getting dual core.

The FX-57 is one of a beast of a processor, and I dont think it will be shunned after 12 months. Though I would believe there will be new forms of single CPU and dual CPUs out by then which will over power it, it would still be a respectable processor, unlike the FX-53 which is virtually the AMD 64 3900 or there abouts.

So, with the points provided I dont worry too much about being shunned in the darkness of eternity that my new processor will not function, though mine is only a 3700 and not in league with the FX series. It still does a remarkbally good job and it does everything I need.

Xavi

La Chavvy
UKCS Sponsor

Player: La Chavvy
STEAM_0:1:1281267

Postby WaitNBleeD on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Good points so far guys :D , keep em coming.

Was reading a review of the FX-57 (can't remember where though) and apparently it was dead easy to overclock. They got it running at 3Ghz through case fan cooling alone :shock: .

Just imagine what it'd be like with a seriously good water cooled case around it , OMFG !!.

Tbh though, 2.8 is bloody good enough anyways, but it's still unbelievable that they got it to 3.

Btw, the dual core i've been eyeing up at the moment is the x2 4800+
WaitNBleeD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby the_tub on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:29 am

single.

get dual next summer when theyve actually had more time to develop the hardware and the software to harness it.
= UKCS Old Time Patron =
the_tub
Experienced Member

Player: the_tub
STEAM_0:1:3308393

Postby Brick on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:03 am

cough hyperthreading

Brick
Home Member

Player: Brick
STEAM_0:1:434114

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:10 am

Dual Core as Lucky says, bet the speed gets increased before long anyhow so single core will no longer have any advantage.

How about one of these http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_13167,00.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a look here too, think this says it all really.

http://multicore.amd.com/en/Products/

Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby WaitNBleeD on Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Hmmmmkkkkkkkkkkk.

Dual it is then :D .
WaitNBleeD
UKCS Life Sponsor