Graphics card tweak - improve performance!

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

Graphics card tweak - improve performance!

Postby TεX™ on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:50 am

Chow edit: I've renamed and stickied the thread, so people will find it, as I agree with TC, we should all be doing this, it rocks!

TC EDIT:

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WITH AGP GRAPHICS CARDS. IT REALLY DOES MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.
GETS RID OF LAG ON DE_CHATEAU WHEN GRENADES GO OFF AND RUNS SMOOTH.

I SPEAK FROM PERSONALLY TESTING THIS - TC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the post:

This might help people suffering from stuttering gameplay & sound apparently high end video & sound cards & are using unessecarly high amounts of PCI latency I found this on another forum download it & run it & follow the instructions below people are reporting 50-100% boosts in performance in games after changing the setting so enjoy the smoothness all :D.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

STEP 1. open the pci latency tool

STEP 2. Rightclick on your graphics card and click change setting(s)

STEP 3. change to desired setting (from 248 to 64) and hit ok

Step 4. click settings and select apply at startup so it has a tick next to it

STEP 5. click settings and select save so everything you have just done is saved

STEP 6. right click on your video card and click quickset latency (if you want to set it straight away)

hope thats helps all the people having trouble 8) .

TO OLD TO DIE YOUNG.......
TεX™
Recruit Member

Player: TeX
STEAM_0:1:64040

Postby rocket_Magnet on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:56 am

just a few q's what exactly is a "high latency"? mine is at 248 atm for my gpu,
and what would happen i were to increase the latency to say, my sound card?

rocket_Magnet
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:1:309520

Postby Chrisey Bear on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:23 pm

my graphics card and sound card arent pci though so i dont think it will work for me :( gfx is agp and sound is usb (Sound blaster extigy external tower 8) )
Chrisey Bear
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:1:3190785

Postby gandy on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:33 pm

rocket_Magnet wrote:just a few q's what exactly is a "high latency"? mine is at 248 atm for my gpu,
and what would happen i were to increase the latency to say, my sound card?

Sound cards tend to hog the pci bus, even more so if they are made by creative. This is where the latency comes in to it, the higher the latency the slower things will run through out your system. The easyist way to see latency is like ping on the net. high is bad low is good.

To answer your question though if you upped the latency to your sound card it could have a noticable slow down on hard drive access and graphics performance.

gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby TεX™ on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:50 pm

You must use the tool as setting the PCI Latency in BIOS has NO effect. Windows has the power to override it.

What is PCI LATENCY? This is the amount of time a certin device is given the attention by the cpu. Setting it higher will allow it more time with cpu, but the drawback is, other device will have to wait their turn. When one device is set higher than others...e.g. video 248ms, sound at 32ms, the video card is getting a significantly more time than the sound card. Thus, causing sound problems.

ATI cards are default set to 248ms. To change this search your registry for "DisableProgPCILatency" and change the value from 0 to 1 that will stop the ati drivers from setting your vid card latency to 248ms

Myths. Lowering the PCI Latency does not MAKE that device FASTER. Its not the same as setting MEMORY RESPONSE TIME. Setting the PCI LATENCY lower only means it gets less time with cpu processing.

Fact: So there needs to be a balance of pci latencies between different devices. Setting them to be more equal will allow a more equal processing time. If read setting it to 64 is a magic number.

Fact or Myth?: AGP does get affected by PCI Latency.

I hope this answers your questions :).

TeX

TεX™
Recruit Member

Postby TheBigLongy on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:51 pm

I gave this a blast this mornin to find that my radeon 9800 pro was runnin at 242 lat, so i dropped it to 064 the same as all my other components and from what i have seen it has made a gr8 improvement. Hopefully this will solve my problem and no more will pop up.
[center]Peace N Chicken Grease.
Tellin it like it is...
TheBigLongy.

** TheBigLongy
TheBigLongy
UKCS Sponsor

Player: TheBigLongy
STEAM_0:1:2864764

Postby Cobra on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:56 pm

I had this before I turned AA off. It seems that if you are having sound stuttering also, turning AA off will stop it (well it did for me).

This is a great fix though, nice one.

People, remember to keep your drivers updated regularly, check the sites every week just in case. :wink:

Cobra
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cobra^Trinity
STEAM_0:0:2543793

Postby Bullets on Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:11 pm

TεX™ wrote:ATI cards are default set to 248ms. To change this search your registry for "DisableProgPCILatency" and change the value from 0 to 1 that will stop the ati drivers from setting your vid card latency to 248ms

Any chance you could explain this in detail as i don't even now what the registry is or where to find it? I'm such a computer noob.
Bullets for the Deaf|UKCS|
Bullets
Map Seeker

Player: Carlos the Brave
STEAM_0:1:3225421

Postby TεX™ on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:45 pm

The best thing to do if your not familiar with the registry is to uninstall the video card drivers then follow the steps below this way theres no need to touch the registry.

After uninstalling the ATI drivers

open the ati driver .inf's

look for

[ati2mtag_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

Add the line:

HKR,, DisableProgPCILatency, %REG_DWORD%, 1

anywhere before the lines start to read
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\

then install your drivers then reboot & walla your done....

Incase your wondering what this does is tells the video card to use the bios latency setting (32 default) & stops windows overiding the bios & setting it to 248.

I hope this helps you it takes the risk out of the procedure if your not familiar with the registry 8) .

TeX

TεX™
Recruit Member

Postby gandy on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Think i should also add a little to this

If you are using onboard sound you could be having the stuttering problem due to this.

I format my system and thought i would give the onboard sound a try and low and behold welcome to stutter city. I disabled that and put my audigy back and bang the stutter has gone.

Ok so this is no cure but its something to think about if you use onboard sound and have a stuttering problem.

Oh and im running a Abit IC7-G Max2

edit-----
discoverd something else as well turning off fast user switching and the other thats located with it (the welcome screen one i think) should clear up the last of it

gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby I Got Germs on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:04 pm

gandolfone wrote:Think i should also add a little to this

If you are using onboard sound you could be having the stuttering problem due to this.

I format my system and thought i would give the onboard sound a try and low and behold welcome to stutter city. I disabled that and put my audigy back and bang the stutter has gone.

Ok so this is no cure but its something to think about if you use onboard sound and have a stuttering problem.

Oh and im running a Abit IC7-G Max2

edit-----
discoverd something else as well turning off fast user switching and the other thats located with it (the welcome screen one i think) should clear up the last of it

There are known issues with onboard sound on that mobo, I found that out a while ago. It's well documented on the Abit forums.
I Got Germs
UKCS Sponsor

Player: I Got Germs
STEAM_0:0:334655

Postby TC on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:02 pm

GUYS - I've tried the AGP PCI latency trick on two PCs, one AMD, and the a P4. This REALLY DOES MAKE a good improvement. Just played chateau which used to stutter for me every time a grenade went off - now its pretty damn smooth ! This DOES work - just try it.

Seriously recommended !

TC
UKCS President

Player: TC
STEAM_0:0:3198285

Dude?

Postby -={Cpt.Darling}=- on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:14 pm

eh up. Chrs for helping with all this but im a bit noobie when it comes to drivers and graphics cards. Mines an ATI radeon 9500 pro and i dont know how u change any settings and stuff. ^^^^ dont understand what and where im meant to be changing settings. can u help me in pm or add me to msn cos i just need a few things explained. Cheers bud
LONG LIVE THE HIP!!!

HiPPeH HiPPeH ShaKe!!!
-={Cpt.Darling}=-
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby I Got Germs on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:37 pm

DL the PCI Latency tool Tex refers to and it's dead simple from there.

Run the tool and you'll see the card devices in your PC along with each ones latency setting. Most devices will be 32 or 64ms but you'll see your GFX card is approx. 248ms.

Simply click on that and set it to 64 then use the top tool bar to save the setting, click the apply now option and also tick set at startup and that's it.

:D

You can edit the ATI drivers to set this but it may be easier to just use the tool.
I Got Germs
UKCS Sponsor

Postby SupaSharpShoota on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:46 pm

Will this only work with ATI cards?
SupaSharpShoota
Admin (Retired)

Player: SSS
STEAM_0:0:2275281

Postby I Got Germs on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:55 pm

The PCI Latency tool will work with any card devices (any Ethernet cards, Sound Cards, any GFX cards just anything!), I've used it with my 6800 Ultra with no probs

:D
I Got Germs
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Ra the Rugged on Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 am

I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 and when i open the tool i see a primary and a secondary videodriver.......to which one should i apply the setting ?
"How many know about cratediggin', what does cratediggin' mean to me"
Ra the Rugged

Player: Gust of Wind
STEAM_0:1:4658299

Postby ChowRiit on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Primary I think, secondary is a phantom one for a second monitor, or something...
Visit my Computer Security or Webcomics threads! :)
ChowRiit
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:0:4566834

Postby Lagb0y on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:32 am

Will changing my settings affect the way my GFX (Raddy 9700 Pro) work for normal use (inc DTP, multi media editting, etc)?

Lagb0y

Postby TC on Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:47 am

This is not a complex thing to try. Takes 30 seconds and is doesn't change anything you can't undo. Yer just changing a number in a box from one number to another, and thats it.

So, rather than ask questions you should just try it. 3dMark scores do not get affected for example by changing this, but in game smoothness in CS improved.

TC
UKCS President

Player: TC
STEAM_0:0:3198285

Next

Return to Games Help & Solutions