CS 1.6 internet server, through BT voyager 210 router?

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

CS 1.6 internet server, through BT voyager 210 router?

Postby MiK3Yb0y on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Guys I hame having real trouble getting a CS 1.6 server showing up on the server list so people can join my game.

I would like to be able to set up a 'listen' server for CS 1.6 or Condition Zero so I can host private games for me and my friends on my PC (2v2, 3v3 games only) over the internet.

I have a PC with Steam CS1.6, Condition Zero and the HLDS which all run with no problem. My internet is connected to the PC through a Local Area Network Device and then into a router, the BT Voyager 210.

While trying to sort this problem out I've been using the HLDS to test if I can get the game to show up on the main server list. I can set up a game on the HLDS and then join it through the same machine and that works. But my friends can't join my game because they cannot see it on the server list. If I give them the IP address found in the running HLDS they get the message 'could not connect to server' (or server not found?).

I've done a bit of research on this and found that I need to enable something called port forwarding. I have assigned a static IP to my PC and then accessed my router settings by putting the default 192.168.1.2 address in the browser. In the 'virtual server' setting I have enabled port forwarding on Half Life and Half Life server (it lets you choose from a list of games), but it still will not work! Does anyone know why this is? I am tearing my hair out trying to get this to work! :D

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Mike

MiK3Yb0y
Recruit Member

Postby La Chavvy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:00 pm

From what I remember, what you need to do [this was before steam was made so could be wrong]

Host the game within counterstrike not sure the dedicated server - that is for machines soley to act as a server.

Then once you're in if your press ` [Tidal key, left of 1 and above tab] you will see the console code.

In there it should state an IP address as well as the port for your mates to connect.

As for BT's port forwarding it sounds as though its correct, but if you're not certain try this website out. Has helped me out for things like BitTorrent etc;
http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Good luck

La Chavvy
UKCS Sponsor

Player: La Chavvy
STEAM_0:1:1281267

Postby DeanX on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:22 pm

yea you need to open port 27015 i think to let other's see your server
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby MiK3Yb0y on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Guys, thanks very much for the replies. That link is very handy La Chavvy. Looking through it, there is an entire guide for setting up Counter Strike on this router! As I'm not the most IT-literate person though, I'm stuck on two points which I think I might be getting wrong:

1. DMZ HOST

I don't know what a DMZ host is? Should this be the address of my LAN PC or router? (Or something else!?)

2. FORWARD TO INTERNAL HOST IP ADDRESS

Again, should this be the LAN connection on the PC or the router? (I think it should be the PC addy?)

Sorry for all these questions, feel a bit cheeky asking since I've only just joined. :oops:

Thank you!

MiK3Yb0y
Recruit Member

Postby DeanX on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:50 pm

well you need to enable TCP and UDP for port 27015 - 27015
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Postby Nelsaidi on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:20 pm

You have to give them your ip, as joining by steam wont work.

Make sure tup and udp are both open
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby DeanX on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:26 pm

nelsaidi2 wrote:You have to give them your ip, as joining by steam wont work.

Make sure tup and udp are both open

read his posts.

why post something someone else as said? you allways seem to just post the same as above posters just with changed words.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Postby Nelsaidi on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Only skimmed through what was said (first post or two)\

Sorry dean
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby La Chavvy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Don't bother with the DMZ, I have no idea exactly what its for but it sounds as though its one or the other.

Port forwarding as far as I know is safer as it defines which ports are accessible, DMZ does the entire computer - easier but more risky. [?]

I amn't familiar with that layout for a router so I can't be much help. THe only thing I can point out is you have to select the TCP [already selected] and then UDP [scroll down for it] and you'll have to lines of ranges.

La Chavvy
UKCS Sponsor

Player: La Chavvy
STEAM_0:1:1281267

Postby MiK3Yb0y on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Argghhh....struggled with this all night. Not how I wanted to spend my Friday evening. :(

Still no joy...although something I am not understanding is this:

my static ip address = 192.XXX.X.XX

According to what'smyip.com: 86.150.XXX.XXX

:shock:

I am betting this has something to do with why it won't work? :?

MiK3Yb0y
Recruit Member

Postby DeanX on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 pm

the 86. blah blah, is the main IP adress that comes into your house, the 192. is the lan ip addresses that the router gives out to the many computers on the network.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Postby Nelsaidi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:22 am

Yeah, once the server is set up give your friends the 86.xxx.xxx.xxx (or whatever youget from whatsmyip.com) with the port number, and if port forwarding is set up correctly it will work.

open command prompt (type cmd in start > run), and type in ipconfig, you will get different text with numbers, it will say 'IP Address : 192.xxx.xxx.xxx', now this is your computers ip address, make sure you port forward to that ip.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby MiK3Yb0y on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:29 am

RIGHT! I think I am almost there!

Booted up the server this morning and it still didn't appear on the Steam list of Servers. Just before I was about to heave the comp through the window, two random French people joined the game! Played a few rounds with them on de_aztec and it all worked fine. Happy days.

What I don't get though is:

1)Why doesn't the server show on the master list?
2)How did these guys connect?

Perhaps the server you are running does not show on the master server list you are looking at on the same machine? (Wouldn't have thought this though :? ).

Also, by adding the 192.168.x.xx address I can get the server to show in my favourites with the correct info and I can join my game from there. If I add the 86.xx.xx.xx address, it says server not responding and cannot join the server. :?

MiK3Yb0y
Recruit Member

Postby Nelsaidi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:48 am

The server does show on the master list, thats how they connected, it can be a pain to find though.

To get your friends to connect tell them to type 'connect (your 86 ip):(port number usually 27015', eg, 'connect 86.150.123.123:27015', and they will get to your server. Checking out the master ip will always say that the server cannot repsond, dont know why, just doesnt work, but, the servere is there.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Return to Games Help & Solutions