Weird TF2 lag problems.

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

Weird TF2 lag problems.

Postby Freaky Dug on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Since the day after the Heavy update(it was working perfectly the evening of the update) I have been having periods of really bad lag in TF2.

I'm actually not sure that it is lag exactly. Basically, I will playing like normal and then suddenly the game will warp but instead of jumping around a bit and then going back to normal like it usually does, it'll get stuck. Everything is still running, I can look around and characters continue to breathe and stuff but they all stand still and it won't respond to movement keys/firing/chat/etc. It then starts jumping between two different views really quickly and then it'll stop and it sort of switches between those at random for a while. Sometimes it also spins the camera round like mad for a few seconds Every couple of seconds it'll update a bit and I'll get kill messages or those little read damage thingies or I'll hear some sounds but the picture doesn't update properly. I also get the disconnection warning appearing and beginning to count down, but it has never actually reached zero and disconnected me before disappearing. Oddly I continue to hear voice chat but can't send voice myself. After a few minutes it'll go back to normal. Sometimes it'll then go hours before happening again sometimes 5 minutes.

If I have net_graph 5 up when it happens I get lots of things happening which I can't explain very well so I took some pictures of it:

I suspected my wireless but I tried wiring straight to the router with no change and wiping my settings and turning off anti virus and firewall had no effect. I also get it on all servers, not just TF2. Sometimes I get disconnected from steam chat while it's happening but MSN and Gtalk continue working without a hitch the whole time. Between the last time I played when it did happen and the when it started nothing, as far as I know, changed in my PC and network set up.

If anyone can suggest anything that might help me, I would be extremely grateful.

Freaky Dug
UKCS Sponsor

Player: [BUNCS] Freaky Dug
STEAM_0:1:14514498

Postby Mickey Stirup on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:17 pm

have you contacted you isp?
could be a adsl splitter thing?
i pretty much know nothing btw :D
Mickey Stirup
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Looee
STEAM_0:0:12047989

Postby quaduski on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:05 am

If nothing changes after trying the above post:

Next time it happens; run the tracert app. [with ip address of the server you are using] in command prompt (right click and run as admin in vista).

And post results on here

eg: tracert to UKCS TF #1
quaduski
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: meme
STEAM_0:1:5190098

Postby Freaky Dug on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm

I've contacted my ISP and they want me to run Wireshark during the lagginess, so I'll run tracert at the same time.

Thanks.

Edit:

I did two captures 'cos I missed the lag with the first one but I'd thought I'd post both as a comparison:

Freaky Dug
UKCS Sponsor

Postby quaduski on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:39 pm

That second tracert shows the problem to be a local problem, ie isp.
quaduski
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: meme
STEAM_0:1:5190098

Postby Freaky Dug on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:42 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll wait and see if my ISP can work out what's going wrong.

Freaky Dug
UKCS Sponsor

Postby bullet_sponge on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 am

*cough* traffic shaping *cough*

what times are you getting the lag?

Virgin media are seriously losing popularity with me recently.

I need to move and get myself some adsl with be instead. Shame my brother has us tied in with virgin for tel, tv and broadband.

xerxes had a similar problem with virgin.

They're messing around at the local exchanges and messing things up really badly!
bullet_sponge
UKCS Sponsor

Player: the spanish inquisition(bsp)
STEAM_0:0:9005143

Return to Games Help & Solutions