Retrieving Server Info really slow

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

Retrieving Server Info really slow

Postby Jerome on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey all,

Sometimes the Retrieving Server Info part of the loading proces is REALLY slow, and always miss the pistol round when map changes.. this is annoying me as i have this kind of hardware:

Motherbord: Gigabyte X58 3D
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: 2x GTX295's
PSU: Corsair 1200W
Memory: 6gb Corsair 1600MHZ DDR3

iam really fed up with this, or could it be internet side? as i only have 6mbs internet.

I hope anyone here has a solution to solve this, i also defragged the game through the Steam thingy.
The Moaning Mexican
Jerome
Recruit Member

Re: Retrieving Server Info really slow

Postby Lord Talan on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 am

Hi,

I'll have a quick stab at this, then someone will prolly post here and say that I am wrong.

First off, nothing at all wrong with your PC config, very nice in fact.

Second, you didn't mention your broadband connection (who with and at what speeds).

The first time after a reboot/switch on, TF2 is always slow at retrieving server info. But once it's been done, subsequent times are a hell of a lot quicker. Even leaving the game and going back in (just don't switch off or restart) makes little difference to this. This is for UKCS, I don't know what happens if you swap to different servers.

I think that initial server retrieval is mainly down to the net connection and your PC getting info off HDD. And I would also guess that a busy server would take (slightly) more time.

Try defragging the HDD and steams/valves own defreag thingy, may make a difference.

Yup, that initial connection time can be annoying, but let's face facts it doesn't happen all that often. If subsequent connections are still taking a "long" time, then yes, something is wrong.

EDIT:- You don't even mention which game. Above I am on about TF2, but I notice exactly the same thing with CS:S

Cheers

LT
Early retired UKCS Full TF2 Admin Image I don't die. I just respawn
Lord Talan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Lord Talan
STEAM_0:1:7454406

Re: Retrieving Server Info really slow

Postby EWJ on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

this happens to me in CS:S too..sometimes I miss the pistol rounds and other times I have no bother..yes its a pain but tbh I've never looked into why it happens...And tbh It ain't your system cos thats Sweet! :D
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Return to Games Help & Solutions