My Steam account has been hijacked . [Resolved]

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

My Steam account has been hijacked . [Resolved]

Postby Sparks |UKCS| on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Well this happen yesterday and I was completely shocked when it happened. I usually change my password weekly and when this happen i couldn't really believe it and really this hasn't really happen to me before in any solution because i am quite bit of a over protected loonie. I don't not know how this person did it, he must of breached my computer some how through my Norton which is fully paid for :O. i never fall for phishing scam, never given my password to anyone and even to those silly Vac moderator impersonators who I just laughed at(and sent the info to Valve). I've already contacted steam straight away when this happened so i guess i have to play the waiting game :?

Can anyone offer me tips to stay sane ?

Been a day without tf2, css l4d etc :cry:
Last edited by Sparks |UKCS| on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me
viewtopic.php?t=41375
Opinions are like bum-holes, everybody has one and most of them stink !
Sparks |UKCS|
UKCS Sponsor

Player: T2|
STEAM_0:1:17594487

Re: My Steam account has been hijacked .

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:55 pm

you need to get ready any payment details (steam bought) or CD key (retail) to prove that the games on that account are yours.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby Sparks |UKCS| on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 pm

LuckyNV wrote:you need to get ready any payment details (steam bought) or CD key (retail) to prove that the games on that account are yours.

yup i sent my paypal payments via email to steam and most of my games i brought online
Me
viewtopic.php?t=41375
Sparks |UKCS|
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Just out of thought is your password all letters or all numbers because there are systems out on the internet that allow people to bruteforce someones password by just getting their steam account name and then just running the program until its bruteforces a password. Be careful whose is on your friends list and trying to add you. Most times you will be fine as long as you can prove to valve that its your account by any methods. My tip is to make your password and mixture of letter and numbers and make it as long as you can doing this will prevent it being bruteforced especially if you rotate your password.
There is also another system that uses your account name and your email that you use if you loses your password.It uses these details to give the hacker your password as well so make sure your lost password email is not tied with any other program such as msn, keep it secret and not affiltated wth regular traffic just personal.This system usually works by someone adding you on steam and then adding you on msn.They assume then that your email is your msn and then run that through the program to get your password.If it isn't they might try and get other email off you until they get your lost steam email. Be very carefull want you give out in terms of info becuase anything linked to steam can be used against you. Stay sharp stay safe.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby gandy on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:00 pm

the chances are if your pc was infected it still is, if you used a simple plain word password then im not surprised you got your account stolen.
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Sparks |UKCS| on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

gandy wrote:the chances are if your pc was infected it still is, if you used a simple plain word password then im not surprised you got your account stolen.

i never use simple passwords never lol hence the reason this is the first time ever i've been hijacked, he must of used key loggers or something.. i've been advised to get AntiSpywareBOT ;O

anyways valve has got the person and banned his ip address from any steam related thing and again valve is my hero !! :D
Me
viewtopic.php?t=41375
Sparks |UKCS|
UKCS Sponsor

Re: My Steam account has been hijacked . [Resolved]

Postby Unspecified on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:15 am

welcome back then ;)
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Seven. on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:58 pm

I had this a couple of week ago. I'm a total security nut and I've never had my password stolen in any case before.
I'm running two antivirusses and a bunch of anti-spyware and a good software firewall that doesn't let anything pass through unless I allow it.

Yet my Steam account was hijacked. So it can happen to the best, so to say.
My best guess is that brute force was applied after someone figured out my username.

I send some pictures of cd-key codes and previous paypal transactions and I got my account returned to me in 3 days time.

On a side note: I think Valve should change the e-mail adress change option to involve BOTH adresses. Both new and old, use the old one to verify the change to the new e-mail adress.
Seven.
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colonel Seven.
STEAM_0:1:3465036

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:40 pm

bruteforce program takes ages to find a password but it can be left on for ages and takes hardly any resources to run so it can run in background. Its a nasty program which needs to be put down.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Demiguise on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Seven. wrote:On a side note: I think Valve should change the e-mail adress change option to involve BOTH adresses. Both new and old, use the old one to verify the change to the new e-mail adress.

I thought they already did, I don't dare change my e-mail from my old one to my new one (seeing as I lost the password to my old one but I still remember my Steam password).
"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about His fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I am the End."
TF2 Admin
Demiguise
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: ;.;7
STEAM_0:0:109558

Postby Unspecified on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 am

Sir Bob Geldof wrote:bruteforce program takes ages to find a password but it can be left on for ages and takes hardly any resources to run so it can run in background. Its a nasty program which needs to be put down.

You'd have though valve would lock the account after X incorrect tries though. Thats the major drawback with online brute force attacks - its pretty easy to spot. Offline brute force however...
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 am

valve don't take notice of multiple logins unless the account is being accessed by two different places. Indeed the bruteforce program does have an off-line mode as well. :|
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby ZeyOrk on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm

I can tell you this Sparks, If i accidenlty find the guy in Norway, who hacked your account, I will beat the shit out of him, hate ppl hacking. Have valve contacted you btw?

Sincerly Yours( I am now Permanently a Property of KAN O )

ZeyOrk
ZeyOrk
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ZeyOrk
STEAM_0:0:316359

Postby BenJy! on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 pm

ZeyOrk wrote:I can tell you this Sparks, If i accidenlty find the guy in Norway, who hacked your account, I will beat the shit out of him, hate ppl hacking.

:lol:
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby cowboyfromhell on Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:02 pm

I think this thread has run its course.
The problem has been resolved.
Locked.
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Return to Games Help & Solutions