Ok this is beyond a joke now.

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

Ok this is beyond a joke now.

Postby Flare on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:16 am

I can understand TF 2 having crap performance...it being updated and new shite being added, I can sort of understand DoD:S struggling a bit, it too gets updates to the engine, but when CS:S drops to under 30 FPS its beyond funny.

I was playing CS:S on a f'ing 5700le and getting above 60 FPS... I was aiming for 100 FPS max, I had some older P3 CPU as well... now my dual core AMD Athlon 64 x2 , with a GTX 260 card cant keep above 30 FPS in CS:S ..what the f*ck is going on ?
Seriously ?

System is up to date, has good drivers and works well with none Source based games , I mean I came off UT3 with the Titan mutator in a Warfare mode with absolutely everything maxed out...and it ran well and my hit reg was good, why cant CS:S ?

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ (2.4 ghz) , 4 gigs DDR2 ram at 533, XFX GTX 260 video with the latest WHQL drivers , and a X-FI extreme gamer sound card, on Win 7 64 Ultimate with a good anti virus, and I maintain the system regularily .. why cant the Source based games work properly..its pissing me off badly.

What would you do to sort this ? Re-install Win7 , re-install XP Home SP3 , revert nVidia drivers to some old ones , revert audio drivers?
Please advise I am at wits end, logically my specs should be a dream machine for CS:S , but acts worse than my old equipment that barely made miminal specs.

ALL my Source games are acting funny.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: Ok this is beyond a joke now.

Postby Flawless on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:26 am

What settings are you running CSS on? and what FPS are you achieving on the FPS test?
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Flare on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 am

I got a ave of 138 FPS on the test , with 1900x1200 res and everything maxed out... try play the bloody game online and I can barely start the bastard game at times.

Wierd thing: To get the game to work in fullscreen mode , I have to launch in window mode, change to fullscreen , apply, realise I cant select anything in the menu , alt tab to windows, alt tab back to the game, suddenly I can select stuff in the menu and then I can play CS:S in full screen...at 30 - 60 FPS.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Flawless on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:41 am

If you're talking about a 64 man server with max everything sounds about right to me.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby WAR on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:42 am

FPS config is ur friend.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby Flare on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:49 am

I used to play in these servers on a lesser machine and get better performance... I cant accept that my PC is only capable of 30 - 60 FPS in CS:S , especially when I can play UT3 at MAX settings, on a fully packed 32 man warfare , with Titan mutator UT3 server with smooth FPS and great hit reg...and the bloody game looks a lot better , and has a crap load more action going on than a typical CS:S game.

Compared to my CS:S days this PC I am using is a dream machine, why is it performing worse that those older CPU / Video cards ?

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Flawless on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 am

Flare wrote:I used to play
I'm sure luckyNV, gandy etc. anyone who has been playing CSS since it started can testify that with the frequent updates performance went down a lot.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby gandy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:13 am

if i remember correctly it was December 2005 that css took its first major performance hit, also css runs better with agp gfx cards than pci-e unless you have a faster cpu.

With your problem flare i would say that your cpu is to weak for that gfx card as css will only use a single core. With my i7 920 i get 100+ fps in dod with my 4870 and css it can drop to 30ish but most maps it will stay around 100 or more.

With all games that support it.. make sure you turn HDR off as ive still yet to see a game that looks good with it on and that can bring any pc to a standstill And using ultra high screen res use x2 or x4 AA and about the same for AF as well.
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Flare on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Its wierd then, as I completed that silly survey Valve asks us to take periodically and the results show the most common CPU is a 2.4 ghz dual core CPU (AMD or Intel) , so Valve is basically updating its software to beyond the bulk of thier customer base.

Other issue I found is on TF 2 and DoD:S , the menu background picture will load after the vid as normal but without the menu, then after a sec it goes blank and comes back but with the menu ... ideas ?

CS:S on the other hand developed a perplexing issue, I have to launch it in window mode, set it to full screen which dispays everything fine but refuses to respond to mouse clicks, alt tab out and back in and then the game will respond to mouse clicks .. ideas ?

I will try boost my PC to push for a few more FPS and accept that the Source engine ages horribly :P

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Return to Games Help & Solutions