CoD4 lags thanks to antivirus; what do?

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

CoD4 lags thanks to antivirus; what do?

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm in a tad of trouble. A few months ago I had to format my hdd, losing everything in the process. Before this CoD4 worked fine with F-Secure, after disabling Deep Guard. Now that I installed everything again, CoD4 MP gets MAD, just plain MAD lags every 2 seconds. Even the menus lag when searching for servers! I tried disabling my antivirus and that seemed to solve the problem, but nevertheless I uninstalled the game cus I didn't feel like disabling my antivirus every time I wanted some MW action. Scanned for viruses, found some, tried installing again, but even the damn installer lags, with my mouse twitching as I move it across the screen. This happens EVEN if I disable F-Secure, but still maintain it's firewall. There shouldn't be any malware or viruses on my comp, I did another check and it came up clean. Also searched with SpyBot, which was also clean. I'll leave the installer running as I'm heading off to work and see if the MP still lags, but if anyone has any kind of ideas what exactly in F-Secure 2010 2010 10.12 build 108 can cause this lag, please, share it. I'm thinking that this is a PunkBuster related issue, but so far I've yet to narrow it down to nothing else F-Secure being a twat with PunkBuster.

- I tried adding everything associated with CoD4 to the exception lists, didn't help. Added PB executables as well, didn't help.
- Disabling Deep Guard was of no use this time as well.
- My comp is two years old but it still runs BC2 and many other new games with ease, I get a stable +100 fps in almost every Source game.
- Could it be the BIOS virus protection or whatever it's called? When I was formatting my hdd back when my Windows took a big, big dump, I noticed that it wasn't enabled, so I switched it on. Was this bad? Should it be enabled or disabled?

Tl;dr: Antivirus messes with CoD4/PB, solutions other than "Get better antivirus" or "Disable antivirus while playing lol"?
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Player: aekson
STEAM_0:1:9679660

Re: CoD4 lags thanks to antivirus; what do?

Postby Flawless on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Could be scanning files outside of CoD4's directory that CoD4 is saving info to
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby LuckyNV on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:45 pm

exempt the whole CoD directory, not individual files.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Did that LuckyNV, did no good :F

EDIT: YES, got it working. Added PnkbstrA.exe and PnkbstrB.exe to the firewall list as allowed applications, sorted it :D
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Player: aekson
STEAM_0:1:9679660

Return to Games Help & Solutions