Microphone probs

Problems and solutions for CS, Steam and other Games.
USE MEANINGFUL SUBJECT NAMES ONLY

Microphone probs

Postby Nish on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Okay, so with my old microphone I had a horrible squeeky noice (sounding like a mice)

but now, ive bought a Steelseries Siberia V_2 White
But the squeeky noice is still there, anyone got any suggestions to take this sound away?

Its usually when I talk on mumble and vent...
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Re: Microphone probs

Postby Seany on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Drop some balls?
ImageImage
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder"
Seany
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Seany.exe
STEAM_0:0:4765474

Postby Nish on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Mkay, so I've tried using Audio Wizard and installing the drivers, the sound has lowered, but its still there...

note that I can't finish the installation because I 'haven't' connected my headset to the PC.

Which I have...
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 pm

could be your computers microphone socket?
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Nish on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:18 pm

bump

STILL not fixed.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 am

Is your headphone "plug"/jack scratched or corroded? (if so dont scrape it with a knife, it just makes it worse btw)
That might explain the sound?
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Nish on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am

Nope T_T

I only have this problem on Ventrilo, Mumble or if I'm going to record my own voice.

Steam and Skype works like a joy.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby S.O.Sniper on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am

If it's not a headset it could be your mic is too close to your speakers or your speakers are too loud, that can loop the sound and mess with the frequency.

Different programs can have different volume settings and what not which might be why it's better with some programs than others.

Edit: And I just noticed you put it's a headset. Nevermind then!
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby cowboyfromhell on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 am

Given that it works fine on some programs, I would have to say it is likely to be a software/driver/codec problem on your PC, rather than hardware.
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby Shuriken on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 am

If you've got the option, try turning treble boost off.

Try running it through a virtual audio cable: http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-Audio- ... 67766.html

there's a few youtube vids to set it up if you have any problems.

A daft maybe, could it be a feedback issue? Some programs use background noise cancellation and anti-feedback shennanigans, does it change at all if you move the mic around?
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Are you using any enhancements, for instance when i use dolby surround sound / audio enhancer, on one of my sets of headphones it makes peoples voices really quiet and everything else extremely high pitched, could a similar thing be happening with your mike?

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Nish on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Are you using any enhancements, for instance when i use dolby surround sound / audio enhancer, on one of my sets of headphones it makes peoples voices really quiet and everything else extremely high pitched, could a similar thing be happening with your mike?

Nope.

A daft maybe, could it be a feedback issue? Some programs use background noise cancellation and anti-feedback shennanigans, does it change at all if you move the mic around?

How would I change that?

I would have to say it is likely to be a software/driver/codec problem on your PC, rather than hardware.

Most likely, I've had 3 headsets and the same PC for the last 5 years, and the problems has always occured when I got a new microphone/headset when I'm on Ventrilo / Mumble.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:11 pm

I mean physically moving the mic to a different location further away from speakers etc lol, it's a very long shot as it doesn't really sound like feedback.

If you go into the windows volume options and click advanced at the microphone, can you turn down the treble manually? it may not fix it entirely, or do anything, but there's a chance it could help.

I presume your sound card drivers are up to date, do you have a separate control panel for the card?

edit: do you have a second microphone socket? Mine acts funny like that, the rear socket is quieter than the front, even though they're both set up the exact same way
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby sphinx on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:24 pm

try buying an USB sound card with 2 jacks.. See if that helps (usually they are 5-10 quid or so at your local pc store from Conceptronics,Sweex,trust) cheap brands, but should do the job right.
sphinx
Old Timer

Player: Sphinx.
STEAM_0:0:8528594

Return to Games Help & Solutions