somehow boot my laptop without the native hdd

If you need help with something which doesn't fit in to another forum section, then post here.

somehow boot my laptop without the native hdd

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm

hi guys
i need help.
i have win7 and the shell32.dll file is corrupted/broke/gone. I have a backup of all system files but on my hdd which i cant acces because virtually everything(including explorer) requires the dll to run and i cant remember the path. The only thing i can do is safe boot with the command prompt. My laptop came with win installed so i can restore it to the factory condition but for obviose reasond thats not great as i dont have a backup and acnt make one. I could boot it with the hdd of my other computer but that wouldnt solve anything as i would still ahve a non bootable hdd

So..
i either need to acces my hard drive and move+rename my backup shell32
boot from, network,cd(dont have),flashdrive...
edit my hdd with another computer with a transfer cable(which i havent got)
somehow restore the file (syst recall doesnt work)
reinstall windows without completely wiping my hdd

anyone know how i can accomplish any of these thing with what ive got??
is it possible to move+rename my backup via the safe boot command prompt, if so how, have tried (file) rename (filenamenew) but it says that it didnt expect the command

thanks

also please dont tell me just to google it as i have and it no help whatsoever
Last edited by Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Re: somehow boot my laptop without the native hdd

Postby {TPUK}Advocate on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Two simple ways
1st:
Do you have access to another computer?

If so - whip out the HDD, stick it in a caddy and plug it into the other computer - copy across whatever files you want to keep - stick hdd back in machine and reformat/reinstall.

2nd:

Alternatively - download Ubuntu, install it in a partition on your computer - navigate to the windows part of the hdd from inside ubuntu - copy files to external hdd - reformat whole drive and reinstall windows.

{TPUK}Advocate
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WindowLicker
STEAM_0:1:10948978

Postby ApacheFlame on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 pm

easier way than that mate.

Download ubuntu and run it as a 'live CD' either as a CD or a flash stick, depending what your laptop can boot from. You should be able to access all your hard drive from there. Save files. ?! Profit.

Alternatively; find a friend with a win7 disk and put it in. there is an option to repair when you boot up with it.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby {TPUK}Advocate on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:18 pm

I thought safe mode stopped you having network abilities :. stopping you from being able to download and burn the live cd?

Either way - unless you have an external/memory stick to transfer the files you want to save those methods wont work.

The repair option should work... not tried it myself though so don't know if you risk losing data doing it that way round...

{TPUK}Advocate
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WindowLicker
STEAM_0:1:10948978

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

{TPUK}Advocate wrote: I thought safe mode stopped you having network abilities :. stopping you from being able to download and burn the live cd?

you can safe mode with networking i think

{TPUK}Advocate wrote:The repair option should work... not tried it myself though so don't know if you risk losing data doing it that way round...

nah doesnt do anything, says everythings fine :roll:

thanks, but as i said i did know this, i wanted to know if there was a way without me having to buy a cradle or a cd.( im ill and cant really go out)

thanks
Last edited by Kaelan002 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm

FIXED!!!

took me two hours of guessing but i finally found the path to my backups by blind luck.

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flatline on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:03 pm

{TPUK}Advocate wrote:I thought safe mode stopped you having network abilities :. stopping you from being able to download and burn the live cd?

You can run a "Safe Mode - With Networking" for internet/LAN needs on all newer Windows systems (XP and upwards I believe)

(Sidenote - not really interesting in regards to the thread issue itself)

Flatline
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Illanair
STEAM_0:0:5018149

Return to I need help with...