A little Latin help wanted

If you need help with something which doesn't fit in to another forum section, then post here.

A little Latin help wanted

Postby Silkie on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:44 am

I didn't get a classical education so I'm stuck trying to find a Latin phrase.

So far my best guess is 'Ignis Diabolum Lunaris' which I think may translate to 'Fire of the Devil Moon' but as I said it's based on Google and the like. It's not very important but I would appreciate any help as I'd like to name a new toy in TF2 and I feel Latin would be a nice twist.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Re: A little Latin help wanted

Postby Shuriken on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 am

What is it you want to translate exactly?

Guessing the Latin is likely to make it very wrong lol

In ignis de luni diabolus translates as the fire of the Devil Moon
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Silkie on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

I have a Blood BK Flame Thrower which I intend to mainly use on full moons and Halloween with this little loadout.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559835772141072579/31F887E8E39FA4B31EE1076F12D2E8077FD242C3/

With the undead monk look I put together I thought a Latin name would be a nice touch. So it should be 'In ignis de luni diabolus' then?

I thought about adding 'cineri gloria sera est' as the description which according to a list of Latin quotes is 'Glory paid to ashes comes too late (Martial)' which seems fitting.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 am

LOL that's really fitting, I like it, especially the description :D

Cross checked it with a friend who studies Latin and he says it looks right to him, how much that means at 10:30 on a sunday morning I'm not sure XD, but yeah as far as my mediocre understanding of the language goes it should be right :)
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Lurker on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 am

Ablative case again :(
Lurker

Player: Prosecutor Lurker#nihilo-satani
STEAM_0:0:46716322

Postby Silkie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:58 pm

In the end I went for ""Ignis Lunae Diaboli" which a few people seemed to agree on.

What I've been told is "Fire of the Devil Moon --> Fire of the Moon of the Devil --> Ignis lunae diaboli" is how it should be.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Return to I need help with...