The English Language

If you need help with something which doesn't fit in to another forum section, then post here.

The English Language

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working on my bachelor thesis right now and about 95% of the literature I have is in english. While I understand pretty much all of it, yesterday I stumbled on something that I just couldn't figure out and I thought some of you native speakers could probably help me out.

In other words, for a variety of reasons, the financial system is seen as initially vulnerable; suddenly, a shock occurs, which is then amplified by the endogenous response of market participants. There is no role for the factors underlying the build-up of the vulnerability in the first place. Finally, in many models, structurally illiquid portfolios are the key source of vulnerability and amplification. Liquid liabilities, and the threat of deposit runs, play a key role.

What exactly does he mean with the seconds (red) sentence? As I understand it he says that there are no factors which contribute to the vulnerability. So the system can't be made more or less vulnerable. It just is.
But then in the third (green) sentence he says that structurally illiquid portfolios are the source of the vulnerability. So more illiquid portfolios would surely make the system more vulnerable, which condradicts the second sentence, doesn't it?

Is my interpretation right, or did I misunderstand the second sentence?

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Re: The English Language

Postby Coffin Stuffer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Bud, I'm English and I don't have a clue what any of those sentences mean. :scratch:
Difficult to understand out of context too.
Coffin Stuffer
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Ao ❤
STEAM_0:1:17837497

Postby m0lineux on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 am

Are you not able to raise your concerns with a tutor? maybe they are able to clarify it for you. They are there to help after all. :)
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 pm

m0lineux wrote:Are you not able to raise your concerns with a tutor? maybe they are able to clarify it for you. They are there to help after all. :)

Yeah, I probably have to do that... Thanks for trying though :cheers:

sNaKeBiTe

Postby m0lineux on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm

No worries, i have had it myself where a tutor releases a scenario or assignment brief and had to clarify they hadn't made a mistake. We are all human ;)
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Shuriken on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm

It seems like he's saying that the things that cause the vulnerabilities do not have a role to play, or are redundant in the system, they're just there. Then highlights illiquid portfolios as an example. So the misunderstanding I think is that there ARE factors, but those factors do not play a role in the operation of the system.

It's a bit tough to tell without full context though :)
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 am

Shuriken wrote:It seems like he's saying that the things that cause the vulnerabilities do not have a role to play, or are redundant in the system, they're just there. Then highlights illiquid portfolios as an example. So the misunderstanding I think is that there ARE factors, but those factors do not play a role in the operation of the system.

That makes sense. Thanks! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

sNaKeBiTe

Postby Shuriken on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm

\o/ No problemo :D I'm usually terrible at explaining things too! :cheers:
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Return to I need help with...