Anime!

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Anime!

Postby POTATO on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:09 am

Alright, since there are quite a few threads relating to anime springing up, i decided to make a universal uber anime thread!

Post here anything to do with anime.

Anime I have watched in order of awesomeness from top to bottom:

FullMetal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku hen
Cowboy Bebop
Fate/Stay Night
Great Teacher Onizuka
Elfen Lied
Azumanga Daioh
Furi Kuri
Air
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 1st GiG
3x3 Eyes
School Rumble
Full Metal Panic the Second Raid
Full Metal Panic
School Rumble Season 2
POTATO

Postby Wash on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Not a big fan of anime but one I do love is the obscure yet insane FLCL. A review:

"FLCL is a very, very unique anime. The only anime that I can think of that even comes close to the insanity and instability of FLCL is Excel Saga, and even that doesn't fully describe FLCL.

It is truly insane. If you're not completely and utterly confused at what the hell just happened during the first episode of FLCL, then you are more insane than the characters that are in it. Even after the anime ends, you'll still be in a stupor with one statement in your mind. What the hell just happened?"

It's not deep and meaningful but boy is it fun to watch.
Wash
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Washington Irving, Esquire
STEAM_0:1:5996500

Postby jihn on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:25 pm

One Pice, anyone know if its any good?
"The rover batteries have 18kwh of juice. The oxygenator alone uses 44.1kwh per sol. See my problem?
You know what? "Kilowatt-hours per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name.
One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything.. um...I suck at this ... oh FK it. I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".
All told, the Big Three need 69.9pn, most of that going to the Oxygenator and Atmospheric regulator."
-Mark Watney 'The Martian'
If you want something done, select a busy person‚ for the other kind has no time. - based on Elbert Hubbard
jihn

Player: uSayItBstWhnUSAYntn@all
STEAM_0:0:159716

Postby CraKinShOt on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:30 pm

Yeah its really good.... long winded but good.

I got up to eps. 150, but there after I wasn't able to get the rest.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby Azzy on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:32 pm

If ya want to talk about anime Vex is ur man he seems to be all ninja fied of watching it think he watches naruto.

I myself have never watched it, seen some of the anime that has been on tele and cant get into it :/
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby Zolf Kimblee on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Ones I've watched, in no real order:

Fullmetal Alchemist
FLCL
Steamboy
Azumanga Daioh
Bits and pieces of others

Oh yeah, I'm a REAL expert.

Steamboy has Patrick Stewart in it. Hooray for Patrick Stewart! The one I'm currently watching is Azumanga Daioh (up to episode 10). Funny how it's meant to be a 'kid's anime', yet on Blockbuster's website the DVDs have virtually the same ratings as Neon Genesis Evangelion. I got a few questions for those that have seen more of it, because I'm damned if I know what's going in it most of the time, lol:

1. What's the deal with Kagura? She's in the opening and end credits, but out of all the episodes so far she's been in about 3 of them, and she's said about 2 lines in total. All it shows is that 'she's quite good at sport, but not as good as Sakaki'. Does she come in later, or something? EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot. The next episode I watched properly introduced her.

2. Is Kaorin really a lesbian? Judging by the context of the anime itself I doubt it, but she does act distinctly...iffy. Loads of the characters are always remarking on how 'cool' Sakaki is adn following her around idolizing her, but for Kaorin it's the only thing she does. She even dreams about her and fantasises about getting married to her. She obsesses over Sakaki in much the same way that Shion obsseses over KOS-MOS in Xenosaga, and I thought it's pretty much a given that they are. Plus, some guy on an anime forum said they were. I don't trust anime forums as far as I can throw them, but you never know.

3. What's the pervy male teacher's name? The one who always has his mouth hanging open. I can't remember them ever saying it. Funniest character in anime EVER.

4. What IS that cat-thing that they all dream about and appears in the end credits? It's...spooky.

5. Why do they give Osaka the nickname 'Osaka', when I'm sure Tomo says in the first episode that she's from Osaka as well. Why don't they call HER Osaka?

As you can see, I enjoy anime, but I'm by no means an expert on it. Probably my favourite anime of what I've seen what be FMA, and I'd recommend it for someone just getting into anime, as it has a little of everything in it, noticably non-pervy (that a lot of anime can be, as I'm sure most are aware), quite Western in themes and pretty easy to understand.

On these forums I'm also named after a character from it, and my avatar's a picture of him. Zolf Kimblee, the Crimson Alchemist. His particular alchemy techinque involves turning people into living bombs by turning their blood into something resembling gunpowder. Oh, and the quote in my sig is something he says. He's a definite 'bad guy' in it, and enjoys blowing people up a little too much. Not my favourite character, but the one with the coolest name.

Last edited by Zolf Kimblee on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zolf Kimblee
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Pattern Spider
STEAM_0:1:12371376

Postby Volkan^ on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Last Exile <-- need to download the last 3 episodes >.<
Orguss II <--- absolutely awesome story line, everything about it totally rocks.
In the process of whatching "A.D Police" seems to be quite good. i like it.

im very big on anime, but i dont have the money or download speed to whatch as much as i would wish. plus i get realy confused sometimes. like ghost in the shell dvd's i cant figure out which dvd's to get there seems to be 500 versions of it and stuff.
1337 Posts Reached On 6th of September 2007
Volkan^

Player: Rick Grimes
STEAM_0:0:13219288

Postby Zolf Kimblee on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Lol Volkan, I had exactly the same trouble as you: Ghost in the Shell is pretty much the only anime that all my anime-savvy friends agree on being really good, and they're always pestering me to watch it. But...like you said, there's like 500 versions of it, and I don't know where to start.

I also heard there's a 12-episode anime based on Xenosaga, which if it exists could possibly my very idea of awesome (the Xenosaga games have one of my favourite stories of any computer game, but tbh I'm not really that big a fan of the games themselves). Plus, KOS-MOS is both favourite video game character ever, and if there's an anime she's my favourite anime character ever by default.

Zolf Kimblee
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Pattern Spider
STEAM_0:1:12371376

Postby sarie on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:15 pm

What about Metropolis? And you missed off Studio Ghibli ;)

sarie
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Sarie
STEAM_0:1:10848049

Postby CraKinShOt on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Patrick Stewart is also in 'Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind', English Dub of course.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Ninyja on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:44 pm

is anyone like me that just watches the anime without reading the manga ?
or do u guys and girls read the manga also ?

hmmm, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind......reminds me of other great old studio ghibli's like grave of the fireflies and laputa: castle in the sky :wink:

i see everyone loves naruto and bleech here :?

Ninyja
Home Member

Player: nTamack
STEAM_0:0:1933705

Postby CraKinShOt on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Laputa: castle in the sky, is another great one which brought a tear to my eye.

The Japanese seem to keep bring up the idea that there was a civilisation before the current time. Sometimes they try to tie it into our time line and say its a thousand years in the future, other times they just don't explain it. Almost every Japanese RPG game I've played has the "Ancients" element to them.

Its touching and exciting to think about the "Ancients" as they are always portrayed as being at peace with nature, all knowing, and in some regards our parents/guardians. For me it just hits a nerve.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby CATCHERAL on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Tenchi <---- Best ive watched, seen it all, all really good.

Really didnt like Once Peice though
CATCHERAL
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Catcheral
STEAM_0:1:4317924

Postby Volkan^ on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 pm

naruto blows, im sure bleech does too.
i hate going along with the "main stream"
naruto is nothing special for sure. dragonball Z was what i liked alot 8)
the moomins :)
Volkan^

Postby The_Pope on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:52 am

Volkan^ wrote:i hate going along with the "main stream"
naruto is nothing special for sure. dragonball Z was what i liked alot 8)

Isn't Antithesis great?

GitS is a tad confusing as to what to buy, but here is my guide:

The two movies - Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence, you can normally find them in 2 disc boxes separate or 3 disc sets together

The First series - There is the box-set, which is entitled Ghost in the Shell : The Stand Alone Complex Gig 1 [GitS SAC Gig1] And then there are the Volumes, which are GitS SAC Gig1 Volume 0.1-0.7

The second series - Exactly the same as the first series, but it's Gig 2, not 1

And if you think that's confusing try finding Evangelion stuff, there's the original, the directors cut, both on one disc, the remastered original, the remastered directors cut, the two movies, the extra one, and 7 million different box sets

Oh and Crakin, those are both Studio Ghibli, great studio who make great films, didn't know Patric Stewart did the English dub for Nausicaa, only ever watched it in Japanese :P

And anyone who liked FLCL, go watch Evangelion/Cowboy bebop - The companies who in conjunction made FLCL made those series's separate, and damn they're both kick ass :P That reminds me, gotta watch Samurai Champaloo soon...
The_Pope
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: The Pope @ i49
STEAM_0:0:2895797

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:09 am

The_Pope wrote:Oh and Crakin, those are both Studio Ghibli, great studio who make great films, didn't know Patric Stewart did the English dub for Nausicaa, only ever watched it in Japanese :P

yea, he was the old man/Sword Man and was introduced near the beginning.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has a awesome ending to the series.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Volkan^ on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:04 am

DBZ isnt mainstream!
i whatched that stuf when i was a kid man! on tv!
no one goes around going "OMG DBZ I RECOMMEND" >_>
anywho, anyone whatched Last Exile? its fantastic!
Volkan^

Postby Trev on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 am

i've always been a massive fan of ghost in the shell: moreso the culture and the cityscape that's portrayed in the film. the chase through deserted urban wasteland is just stunning and enthralling, it's so desolate and a proper mental view of what it could be. the haunted house short from the animatrix has a very similar atmosphere, all this urban jungle and not a soul around to see it.

and pokemon is shit.
UKCS Life Sponsor - Bovine Ambassador - Return of the Bovine

**join the UKCS Last.FM group!**
Trev
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Trev MD
STEAM_0:1:261844

Postby Sausage Down! on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:09 am

Bah... not really into anime as much as I used to be, most stuff nowdays tends to be aimed at American audiences to bring in the big bucks :? If you wanna see some real anime in my opinion, go watch some stuff from the 80's and 90's (Manga FTW)

sarie wrote:What about Metropolis? And you missed off Studio Ghibli ;)

and if you haven't seen Metropolis, you all deserve to burn in the fires doom! :twisted:
Thanks to Phys!o-T3rror!st for the sig!
Sausage Down!

Player: Antonius
STEAM_0:0:8589783

Postby Reibus on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:38 pm

Ive seen Last Exile although I didnt like the ending

generally seen most of the big ones already listed

Also
tri Gun
Ergo Proxy
Im sure theres more but cant think of the right now

and I love One Piece and dont know why

and although its had to start enforcing its own rules on licensed anime due to spiraling bandwidth cost crunchyroll.com is (was) a good place to find easy to watch anime

Reibus
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Reibus
STEAM_0:1:6458148

Next

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!