So which film have you seen last ?

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Re: So which film have you seen last ?

Postby Silkie on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:28 pm

Child 44. Amazon Prime. Set in 1950's Russia a former war hero tries his best to track down a serial killer despite being blocked by a state that refuses to even allow for the possibility in their glorious Soviet Union. Despite a good premise and an excellent cast it fails to really do them justice with a film that doesn't really work as well as it should.

Ip Man 2. Netflix. Direct sequel and has the same strengths but also the same liberties of the first film. This time it chronicles his establishing a martial arts school in Hong Kong while dealing with local gangs, police corruption and a slightly cartoonish western boxer. The fights while entertaining lose some of the realistic feel of the first movie but the look is good and it features the always entertaining Sammo Hung.

Shrek 2. The continuing adventures of the Scottish accented ogre where he and his bride Princess Fiona go back to visit her parents. Introducing Puss in Boots so it had me hooked as that kitty is so cute.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby coldandtired on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:02 am

I'm reading Child 44 at the moment after a recommendation. Not finding it too special, to be honest.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Force Majeure
A Swedish middle-class family go on a skiing holiday in France. While on a rooftop deck eating breakfast they witness a controlled avalanche. The father assures his family all is fine even as it balloons in size and hurtles towards them. Just as they realise it's too late the father drops everything and runs for it leaving his wife and two young children behind. But all that actually hits them is a giant cloud of fine snow. The film is really about the emotional lives of the family in the aftermath. It's a darkly funny film about brittle masculinity and I laughed my arse off :D
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Silkie on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 am

Black Death. A former crusader (Sean Bean) is sent to investigate stories of a village untouched by the plague along with a young monk (Eddie Redmayne). An interesting idea and a pretty good cast but despite a good overall look for the medieval setting it doesn't raise itself above mediocre too often. The fight scene is a stand out as it has the feel of what a real skirmish would be like rather than the more stylised battles you often see.

Shrek 3. Fairly predictable but kind of fun as the adventure of the McOgre continue.

The Muppet Christmas Carol. A really very good telling of the Dickens classic starring Michael Caine in the main role that doesn't even stray too far from the original story.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:56 am

Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation
Fun but a bit forgettable.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
It holds up well to a re-watch. It is too close to a remake of the very first film but the new characters do stand on their own feet and bring something new. The use of humour was refreshing and captured some of the old Han Solo sparkle. The new antagonists (bar a character called Snoke) are great and more 3-dimensional than I've ever seen in Star Wars. The bit that most bugged me is that the political situation is really poorly explained or characterised; a bunch of stuff happens that leaves you wondering why and having no emotional investment in certain events. Ultimately I'm looking forward to the sequel, the new characters have been established and by the end of the film they're all left in situations that could go any number of ways.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:37 pm

The Legend is Born: Ip Man. Netflix. Very loosely based on the early life of the martial arts teacher and although interesting in parts it strays too much into fantasy to be memorable.

Guardians of the Galaxy. Blue-ray. Yes again and that's how much I love this superb action comedy.

For anyone considering buying this the Blue-ray disc is nicely presented with excellent audio and video complimented by some very well done extras including a very cute behind the scenes documentary presented with intros in the style of a retro video game.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Monsters Dark Continent. Netflix. I liked the first Monsters film despite it's flaws but this was so unwatchable I quit and I've watched some of the worst films ever made all the way through.

Event Horizon. Netflix. A long time favourite that's more horror than science fiction although although it bears a resemblance to an old Isaac Asimov story about hyperspace travel experiments it still has quite a fresh feel to it. A rescue spaceship is sent out to investigate the distress signal from an experimental spaceship that had gone missing years ago while testing a new drive system. The look and feel of the film are what make it worth watching and it deserves it's status as a cult classic.

G-Force. Netflix. Standard Disney fare with a team of guinea pigs training as intelligence operatives that is corny enough to get swarmed by chickens but still fun especially as I'm a fan of snufflepiggies.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am

Wild Tales
An Argentine film featuring six tales of revenge. The first two tales while very funny had some fairly ropey acting. The rest were wonderful. I loved the road rage and wedding tales in particular. Also, is there some Argentine cinema rule where Ricardo Darin has to be hired for every single movie? :lol:
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:23 am

The Homesman
A western starring Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones. It spends a lot of the time focusing on the misery of frontier life, particularly for women, and then breaks it with absurdly funny moments. Swank's tough frontierswoman is amazing and the plot blows life into many of the characters showing them to us at their best and worst. It works well for the first ¾ of the film and then kinda unstitches at the end which is a shame. A decent modern western nonetheless.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 pm

The Day the Earth Stood Still. I'm a long time fan of the original but was curious to see how the modern remake compared and caught it on Channel 4 recently. Interesting but nowhere near as good as the classic partly due to to Keanu Reeves not really doing a good enough job but also thanks to it not really updating the USA's response so it felt like oddly an old fashioned film with modern effects.

Slow West. Netflix. A very quirky Western about a young Scot travelling across America to find his sweetheart without realising she and her father are being tracked by various bounty hunters. He gains a guide who is using him to track down the pair for the reward placed on them over the accidental death of the young man's father (a Lord) who forbid their romance. The young lead is played by Kodi Smit-McPhee who will play the role of Nightcrawler in the next X-Men film and was previously in the film The Road while the bounty hunter is portrayed by Michael Fassbender. It's got a very odd feel reminiscent of a Wes Anderson or Coen brothers film and I found it a good watch but it meanders at times.

47 Ronin. Netflix. Not bad but still rather disappointing fantasy samurai film starring Keanu Reeves mainly worth watching for the excellent villainess played by Rinko Kikuchi. I felt that all the ingredients are there for a better film but it still failed.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby moe_guays on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:30 pm

Armed Response - The owners of a failing security company start robbing houses to boost business. :cheers:
Well funny movie
Image Image Image Image
-- UKCS Profile -------- Add me on Steam --------- Follow on Twitter -- Add on Facebook-
:coffee: UKCS CS:S Admin :coffee: UKCS TF2 Admin :coffee:
I'm also in charge of the maps you see on CS:S, If you find a map you feel will suit our UKCS servers then please post a link to the map Here. Alternatively apply to be on the map test team Here.
Happy Gaming :!:
moe_guays
Experienced Member

Player: ☠Moe @I65
STEAM_0:1:28237563

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm

The Man Who Fell to Earth
Fairly incoherent art film dressed up as sci-fi. RIP Bowie.

Dogma
RIP Alan Rickman :(

Black Dynamite
A great, loving parody of 70s blaxploitation cinema. Endlessly quotable :lol:

It Follows
I'm not normally one for horror films but this one worked remarkably well with very little on-screen violence. Just an ominous soundtrack and a great story hook.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Gambit. Netlfix. (2012). A fun if a bit old fashioned comedy starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz and the late Alan Rickman that is mostly entertaining for the cast. A frustrated art curator (Firth) attempts to defraud his boss (RIckman) with the aid of Texan rodeo rider (Diaz) using a forged painting but little goes to plan.

A Little Chaos. Netflix. A historical romance set at the time of the reign of King Louis XIV of France which may not to be everyone's taste but is really rather beautiful and has a superb soundtrack with interesting insights into the time it was set. Kate Winslet plays a fine part as a widow who designs gardens and is hired to construct a new feature for the palace of Versailles to please the king played by Alan Rickman but falls in love with a married man. A scene where the women of court suddenly break from light chatter as they learn she has lost a daughter and reveal how many of them share a similar grief is very moving and Rickman is as fascinating as ever.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:05 pm

Straight Outta Compton
Early gangsta rap is not a story or music genre I've really had much interest in so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film and how small a world it was for the various big rap stars of the 90s - everyone's in here! Special mention must go to Ice Cube's kid who plays his dad with aplomb.

The Revenant
This film is stonkingly beautiful. Every shot is carefully framed and planned. Inarritu's long shots are here again but aren't used as one big gimmick like in Birdman. The camera will follow DiCaprio's Hugh Glass over rough terrain, between branches, over ledges and then pan out or focus in on some piece of interesting natural feature or landscape. That sometimes feels a bit distracted but it does help convey the indifference of nature to human survival. The length of time it will settle on violent scenes also hammers home the horror. There's nothing particular sadistic about what happens in this film but it doesn't let the viewer off; it definitely got a squeamish reaction from me on a few occasions and did so for the rest of the audience as far as I can tell. Modern horror and violence in film is normally a bunch of quick cuts and a rapid progress of timeline shortly after, allowing you to mentally bypass it, not so here. How the heck they pulled off some of the more elaborate sequences that would have involved stuntmen, horse wranglers, pyrotechnics and special effects in a frigid and harsh natural environment and only using natural light I have no idea. The making of documentary if it should ever come out will be fascinating.

DiCaprio's performance was decent but I don't see why it's particularly Oscar worthy. He has very few lines and largely grunts and looks haggard. The story overall is a fairly standard revenge plot which was a bit disappointing but having heard Hugh Glass's story before I'm not surprised they changed things to give Glass more relatable motivations for a 21st century audience.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 am

Solaris (2002)
An interesting story wrapped in a ponderous script and bored actors.

The Dead Lands
A Maori historical epic. It's like a reverse Apocalypto as the son of a massacred tribe tries to track down and kill the man who instigated it and has insulted the honour of his ancestors by stealing his father's head after killing him. It's really interesting to see the Maori tools, clothes, buildings and weapons used in the flesh (so to speak) and there's plenty of the culture to see in terms of taboos, hakas, folklore, superstition etc. The fights are as violent and ugly as you'd expect from a stone technology tribal society. Laurence Makoare puts in a surprisingly good performance for a guy I've hitherto mainly seen play giant orcs, uruk-hai and witch-kings in LOTR films. But sadly the plot's a bit too lean and full of archetypal characters (the wise elderly father brutally cut down; the brash & naive young man out for revenge; the evil, hubristic, aristocratic bad guy; and the scary anti-hero who takes the young man under his wing).

Polytechnique
A film based on the Montreal Ecole Polytechnique massacre when a possibly mad student killed 14 people, mostly women, whom he accused of being feminists and blamed for all his problems. It's utterly sad, the camera moves around in a detached kind of way as people die alone and for no reason. There are some small twists and turns that just add to the emotional gut kick beyond the massacre itself and onto the survivors. It's pretty amazing how much emotional punch can be squeezed into a sub-80 minute film.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:24 pm

My Best Fiend
Werner Herzog's documentary about his love-hate relationship with the deceased actor Klaus Kinski. Kinski clearly was a bit of a lunatic, the ravings he goes on and the beatings he hands out to cast and crew are indefensible. But this is clearly also Herzog's chance to get the final (negative) word in on their relationship and Kinski's life despite their collaborations launching Herzog's career.

The Rover
Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson star in a quasi post-apocalyptic Australian thriller. I always knew Pearce was a great actor but Pattinson really surprised me, often outshining Pearce in their performances together.

The Burning aka El Ardor
An Argentine modern western with an eco-warrior message starring Gabriel Garcia Bernal (Che Guevara from the Motorcycle Diaries). It sounded like something I'd like but it's a complete mess. :( Sometimes Bernal's character is some 'one with nature' type hero communing with a jaguar, other times he's an expert Rambo type setting elaborate man traps from jungle vines and hurling handmade javelins and yet other times he's clearly channelling Clint Eastwood with tense standoffs and squinting. I think we're meant to see some sort of chemistry between him and the woman in this film but apart from a very perfunctory sex scene, they barely even look at each other.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Killer Joe
A bizarre redneck black-comedy starring Matthew Mcconnaughy as a disgusting hitman/detective. It's grim, amoral and pretty tongue in cheek with great performances from the entire cast.

Sunset Boulevard
Another one of the "greats" crossed off the list. Loved the snarky little lines about Hollywood from the protagonist screenwriter and it must have been hard to get away with given all the heavily enforced censorship going on there at the time. The story doesn't really pay off until the end but when it does, it's awesome. I'd seen the "I'm ready for my close-up" scene before but it's so much better in context! :lol:
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 am

Spotlight
A decent journalist's procedural and maddening because all the injustices were real. I didn't get quite why it's being lauded and getting Oscar nominations. It's a Sunday evening TV movie kind of deal.

Flame & Citron
Denmark's biggest budget film to date covering the later lives of two of the Danish resistance movements most famous and successful assassins. This film really doesn't have time for being hagiographic nor making a messy war a black & white affair; there's a lot of suspicion flying back and forth about double agents and even whether the people Citron is killing are truly guilty or even the right people to be shooting in the first place. Refreshing compared to most other resistance films which often just consist of the relevant country giving itself a pat on the back.

Frost/Nixon
The Hollywood treatment of the famous Frost/Nixon interviews. It actually feels like a boxing movie complete with training montages, pre-fight/debate publicity and ringside teams (advisers just off camera). Nixon, the old favourite when it comes to debates consistently bests the plucky young Brit upstart until the Brit has an epiphany, trains even harder and makes a knockout comeback. You'd think two guys talking politics in a dim room would be boring but it's pretty intense.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Deadpool. Imax. How do I keep this spoiler free? Well I am a Deadpool fan and this feel makes me feel like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpgnYhzdkI

The film deserves it's 15 rating for all the right reasons and hits you with the snarky laughs straight away with moments of surreal Deadpool humour and mixes in some gore and ultra violence. Spoilers follow so no peeking.

No peeking I said. No seriously stop peeking, you'll go blind and your name isn't Al. Cease the peeking, do not do the peeking or on the naughty list you will go. All Santa will bring you is a big old bag of reindeer crap and a DVD of the Green Lantern movie.

This movie touched in me ways that were beautiful, shameful and wrong yet it did at least warm it's hands and buy me dinner before hand. Go see it.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Security on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Tonight I went to see the Deadpool film and it was awesome!
The humor is great and it also has constant action.

And of course the references, they are never ending and almost all golden.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

PreviousNext

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!