So which film have you seen last ?

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Re: So which film have you seen last ?

Postby Silkie on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:04 pm

I have an indulgence hangover. Pizza, sweet potato fries, Boddingtons draught and amazaballs (Maltesers in salted popcorn) do odd things to my guts but were perfect for a movie double bill.

The Revenant. A group of trappers are making their way to an outpost in the far North pursued by a native war-band searching for a their chiefs kidnapped daughter. The scout leading the band and his half native son are the focus if anger from a trapper who barely survived being scalped. When charged by an angry mother bear the scout barely survives and is left behind with the scalped trapper, a young trapper and his son so the party can forge ahead to the outpost. It's a story of murder and betrayal that's a visual treat with the amazing wild scenery but although very good falls down in a few parts. I find Tom Hardy miscast yet again as the man is roughly as menacing as Alan Carr but nowhere near as butch as the spexy beast so a better villain was needed. Leo as the scout and Domhnall Gleeson as the Captain in the charge of the expedition are both very good and the overall feel is authentic. FFS stop giving Tom Hardy villain roles as frankly I've passed motions that were harder and there are much better actors out there who can be menacing. Not however as ridiculous as giving the midget the role of Bane but pretty close.

Deadpool. First of all can I please ask you to put some pants on when you read this because those boxers are too loose for your modesty to remain intact. Mending wall number 4 and back to pointing out just how damn LOL funny this action movie for sort of adults is with only a few slow parts but so much giggly grossness. It needs a few watches to catch all of the jokes and references as mercenary Wade Wilson seeks a cure for his terminal cancer that hits just as he finds love. Cue evil British villain (our only growth industry) and origin story leading to hunt for revenge with guest team ups. Is it perfect? No but it doesn't pretend to be and any film that pokes fun at the star in the film along with the studios budget cutting and reluctance to even make what turned out to be such a huge hit deserves a lot of love. Deadpool seems to have changed everything with a lot of planned superhero films looking to take the 15 certificate route.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:45 am

The Big Short. A film about the housing/mortgage crisis in the USA that affected the world and plunged the UK and others into a recession. Its a bit slow and a lot of numbers and terms in it that get happily explained by cameos from Margot Robbie and Selena Gomez. Even though it is slow I did enjoy it. Its a bit like Wolf of Wall Street without the wolf bit.

Hardcore Henry. Shot entirely in first person this action romp is quite entertaining. Because its in first person it can get a little dizzy. Its got a bit of cult/B-Movie vibe to it.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby Silkie on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am

Tower Heist. Amazon Prime. I guess because I wasn't expecting much I liked this old fashioned crime comedy which got lifted up by a solid cast including Alan Alda as the villain. After they realise the wealthy resident of a luxury tower block has lost all the money they were saving for retirement the employees (lead by Ben Stiller) and aided by a local crook (Eddie Murphy) plan to rob him in revenge. Nothing special but up to date with having a 1% bad guy and with regular laughs.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:57 am

Rurouni Kenshin. Amazon Prime. A live action 2012 film with high production values and mostly very good casting although the main characters actor seemed a little young I'm not familiar with the original Manga. A wandering samurai who has sworn never to kill again is drawn into the polices attempt to bring down a drug lord who is aided by a man murdering people while using the swordsman's original name. A little slow in parts but the fights are good and a little light relief in the form of a fist fight through a kitchen are thrown in.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 pm

The Bonfire of the Vanities. Amazon Prime. I haven't read the Tom Wolfe novel this is based upon but I do understand the films casting upset some fans as they didn't care for Melanie Griffith or not having an English actor play the journalist Peter Fallow who is the stories narrator. Tom Hanks plays a successful Wall Street Investor who when meeting his mistress (Griffith) takes a wrong turn and ends up driving into the Bronx area of New York. His mistress panics when they are approached by two young black men and backs the car over one of them putting him into a coma. Despite it's age certain aspects of it remain very relevant as the press set out to crucify Hanks and portray the young man as a saint despite neither really being guilty of anything but being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The police are used by the mayor to strengthen his campaign and gain the black vote, the lawyer sees a chance to make his name in a high profile case, the community leader sees nothing but money and the actual driver of the car perjures herself to implicate her former lover. Worth watching despite it's flaws.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Amazon Prime. A fascinating cast in the form of Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood and Tom Wilkinson feature in this slow starting science fiction romantic comedy. The idea revolves around a process that can remove certain memories from people that they wish to forget which is mainly bad relationships. Carrey and Winslet have both undergone the procedure separately but his is in reaction to finding that she went first and she no longer even recognises him. As he starts the process he first realises that he still cares for despite their very different personalities and tries to halt the loss of memories with her aid in his own memories. Yes I know this is a bit muddled but I think I may need to watch it again. It has a few slow parts but when you realise that both people are really very damaged but basically good people you start to root for their fractured romance and minds. Actually a very uplifting film about accepting our humanity with all it's flaws.

The Hateful Eight. GooglePlay half price rental. Before I begin I'll let you know that Quentin Tarantino is one of my favourite directors and something in his work appeals to me a lot so I can't pretend any form of objectivity when reviewing his movies. This is the story of a group of people who end up trapped in a stage coach lodge during a violent storm who all find connections to each other but often not pleasant ones. It has an odd feel that reminds me of the old Hammer Horror anthologies and relies a lot on the skills of the actors and actresses.

The Good. It looks and sounds superb with a great deal of authenticity and chunks of the history of this post US Civil War Period thrown in to bolster an excellent cast of character actors. The story is mostly logical and the brutal nature of the times with bounty hunters rarely attempting to bring in the quarry alive while a few simply let the hangman's noose do the deed give it the grim tone it meant to show. Jennifer Jason Leigh gives a powerful performance as the outlaw woman at the centre of the story but the whole cast shine.

The Bad. It feels a bit too long but remains watchable although I was put off seeing at the cinema because of this and wish they still had intermissions for long films. The way so many characters had prior connections pushed the bounds of belief a bit but for the sake of a story it was forgivable.

The Ugly. Ah now it has to be said some things might make you very uncomfortable even if you are used to Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs as the film has a lot of visceral violence, harsh language and a scene recounted from memory that may make anyone homophobic squirm. Generous use of that 'N' word but as race is part of the plot so it has to be in a film set when it is could bother some. Last but not least is the treatment of the Jennifer Jason Leigh character who receives considerable violence which offended some at the time of it's release. I felt that the people who complained were being hypocritical as equality doesn't just cover the nice stuff and she played as nasty a person as the rest of the cast. This film is 'warts and all' so be aware.

For me it made me add it to my list of films to own when I spot a copy as it contains enough to be worth watching repeatedly. See it but not when the vicars over for tea, unless yours is a hipster. :P
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Modern Times
The first Chaplin film I'd actually watched all the way through. This one sits on loads of "best films ever" lists and now I finally know what all the fuss is about. Way more political and emotional than I expected from a silent-era slapstick!

The Great Dictator
Holy crap that final speech. Chaplin impressed me with Modern Times but I had a proper lump in my throat, especially as his voice cracks while beseeching soldiers not to blindly follow fascist leaders. Chaplin's humanitarian attitude shines here and you can really feel the urgency of this film's message being made as it was in 1940.

Mad Max: Fury Road
Third time I've seen this; now on the big public screening at the Edinburgh film fest. It's got its moments but the story's too light and the film too long to really enjoy watching this expensive music video too many times.

The White King
Another film fest thing. I was lucky enough to win tickets to the world premiere and it was pretty cool walking past the red carpet and all. Unfortunately the film was a bit of a mess with lots of story threads that lead nowhere or just have no impact on the rest of the film. It's a YA dystopian story that at least manages to eschew the currently popular "small band of good-looking youngsters overthrow regime supposedly capable of oppressing millions of adults" trope and clearly has some smart ideas. The young lead acts pretty well, as do most of the rest of the cast but the characters are poorly fleshed out and the script and editing is generally atrocious.

Mojin - The Lost Legend
Tries to ape Indiana Jones but comes out more like the last Tomb Raider film. Very ropey special effects, several actors more well-known as pseudo-models or pop singers and humour that's clunky (at least in English); very much a film made for a Chinese audience. It is mostly innocent fun and is very light-hearted. Shu Qi from last year's The Assassin is also here but she's put totally to waste :(

The Terminator
Finally got around to watching this modern classic. Talk about unrelenting!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Funny in places and then just peters out.

Play It Again Sam
Woody Allen plays the same character he always does. The slapstick was so forced it was cringe-worthy (there's a bit where he pretends his hairdryer is too strong for him to handle and so he waves his arm around for ages, deliberately reaching for things to knock out of his bathroom cabinet for "comic" effect). Really quite boring.

The Brainwashing of My Dad
A documentary about a father who changed dramatically into an angry right-winger after starting to listen to right-wing talk radio near constantly. While I'm generally left-wing I found this film totally frustrating and rather rude. It pathologises political opinion, invalidates the opinions of others, has a smug attitude against anyone who disagrees from pat left-wing lines and the supposed medicine is just to deny/block off all access to dissenting opinion!?

Independence Day
When the film gets temporarily fixated on whether Bouncer outruns the giant fiery explosion that moves at walking pace you realise how different a time the 90s were - before we all knew what it looks like to see huge buildings collapse, when we had a boring but massively optimistic view of how civilisation would pan out in future, when we weren't offered so much brutality in our real news media, back when giving a crap about a family pet in a disaster film doesn't seem so naive and silly...
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Silkie on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Deathproof. Amazon Prime. Two groups of women cross the path of a psychotic driver in a car modified for stunt work in a film that pays homage to the exploitation film genre. Good but not great and mostly for a good car chase sequence as QT's foot fetish seems to be on display again.

The Grand Budapest Hotel. Bluray. Each time I watch this wonderful film I find another little detail that makes me smile. A story within a story within.... Lots of good performances but my favourite is lobby boy Zero and Gustave just after a prison break. The way Ralph Fiennes handles the realisation he's unloaded a petty but very human tirade on someone who has lived such a terrible life and retracts it in such style. <3

Godzilla (2014). Amazon Prime. I was hoping that Bryan Cranston would be in it all the way through along with a bit more of the big G but it disappointed me on both. The story is more faithful to the original Japanese films in that it's a big monster battle with some humans thrown in but ends up being just average. I liked the Godzilla designs and the monsters were also quite good but otherwise it didn't do much for me.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Movie 43. This is a linked set of short films of gross comedy and if you don't like disgusting this isn't for you despite a star studded cast. The link is some slackers trying to revenge prank one of them's tech savvy little brother and they distract him by trying to get him to find a mythical movie online called Movie 43. The whole thing has the feel of older comedy films like Kentucky Fried Movie and the humour is in the vein of Jackass with Noxville actually appearing in one of the short films. I loved it mostly but if you are a tad sensitive then give it a miss as Elizabeth Banks drenched in urine from an evil jealous cartoon cat beating it to a pulp with a shovel in the middle of a children's birthday party may not be for you. Yes this is the one with neckballs Wolverine.

Tomorrowland. A young boy inventor discovers a hidden high tech world when given a pass badge from a mysterious young girl then switches to a feisty young woman whose positive attitude is out of step with a negative world. While trying to stop the dismantling of NASA equipment where her father worked she ends up in jail and finds one of the badges that shows her glimpses of the future she wants. It's all a bit predictable and misses some opportunities without ever really being bad. i wanted to like this film as the message that no matter how bad our problems are they can be solved is a much needed one in a world as miserable and self indulgent as we live in now but the film misses the mark.

Terminator Genisys. Although I still think the original has never been bettered by a series of sequels that ranged from awful to forgettable I actually quite liked this but that may have been due to low expectations. Now I hate Terminator 2 and told the cinema so as I left which I've only ever done that once as I felt that it wasn't just the price of the ticket but 2 hours of my time I'd rather have spent in the dentists chair getting a root canal but this film is a much better attempt. The whole thing is standard time travel mind twisting but mostly paced well and enjoyable as it rewrites some of the first film quite well. A for effort but I still wish the original had remained an only child and at least it isn't another shitty reboot.

The Martian. Amazon Prime. 99p rental night. Better on the big screen but still very enjoyable as Matt Damon plays a stranded astronaut who has to survive on Mars while trying to contact home and eventually reach a rescue mission in orbit. It's a likeable film that doesn't descend into aliens or mysticism with a strong cast although the idea isn't actually that original of course. The film Robinson Crusoe on Mars did a similar thing but with padding in the form of aliens while aknowledging the source material that inspired it.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Edge of Tomorrow. Amazon Prime. A reluctant soldier fighting an alien invasion of Earth gains the ability to reset the day by dying while retaining what he's experience and tries to use it at first to escape until he realises that fighting is the only option. Entertaining with the usual silly bits of exo suits not sealed or even properly armour plated but strong alien designs with a solid cast led by Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise raise it above the mediocre.

Deadpool. Bluray. Yes again. Deadp :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D l.

The Exorcist. Amazon Prime. A restored version introduced by the director. Practical effects, good casting and an amazing vocal performance by Mercedes McCambridge as the demon mean that this classic can still chill your bones. Disturbing but fascinating.

The Losers. Amazon Prime. A rather mediocre action film about a team of soldiers double crossed by their handler. It never really engages and I forgot about it while I was watching it.

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales. DVD. Two linked stories set before the destruction of space station Babylon 5 with some of the original cast. Mainly only for fans like myself but the second story was both humane and enjoyable. Its a variation on the old theme of killing a murderous dictator before they rise to power common in time travel stories.

Firewall. Amazon Prime. A crime thriller starring Harrison Ford as a bank cyber security expert whose family is held hostage while criminals try to use him to break the banks security protocols. Very average.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby EWJ on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Jane got a gun. I felt like it was going tarrantino'esque in places. Enjoyable all the same but fairly predictable outcome.

The Nice Guys. Set in the 70's with a great soundtrack and a fairly fun vibe to it, even with the violence. The kid makes it though with her attitude.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Bobbobthebob on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:45 am

The Ambassador
Danish comedian/journalist investigates the dark world of ambassadors for hire in sub-Saharan Africa. With enough cash and some interesting meetings in the Netherlands and the UK, he gets himself appointed as Liberia's ambassador to the Central African Republic. It's sketchy as heck as he wheels and deals his way into the CAR and tries to demonstrate how easy it is to start trading in conflict diamonds. This guy seriously put his life on the line for this film - the CAR is horrendously poor, corruption is rife and life seemingly cheap. Some of the stuff on France's involvement there is seriously, seriously dark.

Batman v Superman
Starts rather well (despite the obvious Jeep commercial) with Batman watching Superman tearing his city apart while battling Zod. This really brings home the human cost of these superhero events in a way that I feel Capt. America Civil War really failed to do. But then the film leaves much of it behind to get incredibly bloated and boring (with a whole chunk of advertising halfway through the film to advertise other franchises that won't otherwise be part of the story).

Prince Avalanche
Weird little indie flick with a great soundtrack starring Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd as highway workers cleaning up and repairing a remote road after a wildfire in the 1980s. A bit of an odd couple comedy but mainly just two very insecure guys trying to work out what to do with their lives.

Warcraft
I've never played WoW or the Warcraft strategy games so the world was all new to me. Definitely felt like there was a lot of meat behind the story but all we got in the film was the skin. The orcs themselves were impressive and well acted but I really didn't give a monkey's about the humans or their plight. Overall pretty average/good for a videogame film.

Gone Girl
David Fincher is a wonderful horrible bastard who makes engrossing and unnerving films like this one. Felt like it tied things up a little too perfectly towards the end but that's literally the only criticism I can make of it.

Keanu
Tries to be an American Hot Fuzz and when it's Key & Peele together it really works. It's just a shame that we don't get a huge amount of them riffing on each other. Fingers crossed they make more films as I really love their TV skits.

The Man from Nowhere
Korea's answer to Liam Neeson's Taken series. A young loner runs a pawnshop and strikes and unlikely sort of friendship with the neighbour's young daughter. When she's kidnapped by gangsters after a drug deal gone wrong, this "man from nowhere" reveals he has a very special set of skills. It's a bit paint by numbers but has some well choreographed and gruesome action scenes.

Memories of Murder
Very Fincher-esque. A bunch of cops in rural small town South Korea find their lives taken over by the hunt for what turns out to be Korea's first ever serial killer. Based on a true story and totally engrossing. If you like films like Zodiac or Prisoners, you'll love this.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Willow. I don't see why this occupies such a special place in many peoples hearts so maybe it's a childhood thing as despite being a likeable enough fantasy film it didn't do anything for me.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. OK animated future Batman cartoon with pretty good voice acting. The future Batman suspects the return of the original Joker to Gotham masterminding a series of crimes.

9. A very enjoyable animated film in which little mechanically propelled sack creatures try to bring down a corrupt AI that has destroyed humanity.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Watching again after snagging the Bluray on sale which has a generous amount of extra content along with a solid plot and excellent fight sequences.

The Last Witch Hunter. Vin Diesel plays a man cursed to eternal life by the queen of witches in a daft romp with a few good bits thrown in.

Hellboy 1 & 2. Both films are pretty good and Ron Perlman owns the part of the big red demon puncher.

Dragon Blade. A very odd film that despite an obvious budget seems very cheap and suffers from some odd casting. Jackie Chan plays a soldier sworn to help preserve peace on the Silk Road when a large force of Roman soldiers arrive. A few good fights but it can't decide what it wants to be and ends up a mess.

Jeremiah Johnson. One of a slew of quality 1970's Westerns that left the traditional 'cowboys & injuns' to try and show something more interesting. Robert Redford plays a man fed up of civilisation who heads off into the wilds to be a mountain man while struggling at first until he encounters an older grizzly hunter who teaches him to survive. Mostly very good especially for the time despite the Amazon streaming version suffering from a fair few picture quality issues it has a lot of heart along with a much more enlightened view of the native tribes.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Whiplash
Great character study. JK Simmons is terrifying.

Eye in the Sky
Felt like an extended BBC TV episode of something like Spooks. Notable as the last film released starring Alan Rickman. The plot/script gets a bit too heavy-handed in places particularly labouring the moral points of the use of drone missiles but it does examine the differences in US/UK approacheson this front rather well.

Star Trek Beyond
Rather boring. Shows us characters from the previous films and then does very little with them except to throw them into peril periodically and expect us to care much. Just tons of the weightless destruction disease that's been plaguing action SF and the superhero genre so much lately. The bad guy is sorely under-developed and is a total waste of Idris Elba.

Midnight Special
A fairly tight little sci fi about a boy with mysterious powers wanted by both a religious cult and the government. Michael Shannon plays his dad, ferrying him around the United States and keeping him in hiding, not knowing what is up with his son or the true strength of his powers but sacrificing everything for him. It's a bit of a heavy-handed allegory for parenthood but very watchable.

Take Shelter
Michael Shannon plays a working class American in the mid west plagued by apocalyptic, possibly prophetic dreams. He struggles over it with a family history of mental illness but a mismatching set of symptoms driving him in different ways. Shannon is absolutely fantastic in this one.

The End of the Tour
Almost claustrophobically intense study of writers and their egos. David Foster Wallace rocketed to fame for his book Infinite Jest in the early 90s when a journalist from Rolling Stone joins him for an extended interview by following him on the tale end of the book tour. Both Jason Segel (yes, really!) and Jesse Eisenberg act their socks off - very believably portraying a tortured, uncertain genius and a shrewd but vulnerable journalist respectively. Slow going and entirely dialogue driven but engaging throughout.

North by North West
I don't get what the fuss was about. Thought the sex scene represented by a train entering a tunnel was pretty funny though. :lol:

Taxi Tehran
Wowee. Iranian director Jafar Panahi has been a bit of a gadfly for years; making films critical of the government or about sensitive or contentious subjects. He was recently banned by the Iranian government for 20 years from making films, writing screenplays, holding interviews for any media and from leaving Iran. Despite this he made this film shot largely from dashboard cameras in a taxi that Panahi drives himself around Tehran. There's an impish sense of humour as the actors entering his vehicle call him out on the deceit over fact/fiction and some frankly bizarre passengers turn up in quick succession. It throws digs in at hardline Iranians eager for capital punishment and explores the repercussions; it makes fun of Iran's film code as Panahi's neice is given homework to make a short film within the rules and struggles to shoot anything "distributable"; and it also calls attention to the plight of political prisoners of all stripes within Iran. Well worth a watch!

The Big Year
A bland, feel-good comedy that I have a soft spot for by being a bird-watcher myself.

The Imitation Game
A decent historical drama if a bit paint-by-numbers. While the focus was on Turing's homosexuality and persecution, I felt it undersold the story of his war contribution and the real "imitation game" in the latter part of the war whereby we managed to hide from the Germans that we'd cracked their code.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby windowmaker on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Just seen the Martian (I know, late to the party but I had to read the book first...)

windowmaker
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: WindowMaker
STEAM_0:1:6784095

Postby Silkie on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:54 pm

The Little Prince (2015). Netflix. Although this covers the children's fantasy story it's more about a stressed out girl with a pushy mother who becomes friends with an eccentric old man who may be the pilot in the original story. It's fairly good and quite charming without being too sentimental.

The Woman in Black. A rather old fashioned ghost story that mostly works well as a recently widowed lawyer is sent to a deal with the affairs of a deceased client and encounters a haunting by a vengeful female spirit.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya. Film 4. One of Studio Ghibli's last two films is a very traditionally animated Japanese folk tale that has a lot to please fans of animation but may be less interesting for others.

Chef. Film 4. A funny, warm hearted film about a man reconnecting with his son while regaining the passion that started his career as a chef which I can't recommend highly enough.

Kung Fu Hustle. A totally over the top martial arts comedy from and starring Stephen Chow but the Chinese version of Flo and Andy Capp steal the movie for me. :D

Rounders. Matt Damon leads a good cast in this film about a reformed gambler trying to deal with his life and help an old friend fresh out of prison but although it has it's moments it didn't do much for me.

Resident Evil series. Yes the whole film series which is wonderfully terrible and really only for fans of either the series or Mila <3

Megamind. Netflix. I really quite enjoyed this animated story of a villain forced to turn hero as after finally defeating his life long nemesis he finds himself so bored he tries to create a replacement who turns into a power mad psychopath. Solid animation and pretty good voice acting made this a very entertaining watch.

Escape From LA. Ouch. A mess that looks more like a fan film but has some entertainment value as Kurt Russell reprises his role as the mercenary Snake Plisken forced into another rescue mission for a corrupt US government. As though there's ever been any other type of American government. :roll:

The Good, the Bad and the Weird. A Korean film described as a Kimchi Western by it's director lifts most of it's plot from the obvious spaghetti Western and thanks to some quality fight scenes makes a good job of it. Three men search for a treasure map in 1940's Manchuria all pursued by the occupying Japanese forces with the Weird gangster doing most of the comedy.

Deadpool. I'm going to wear the bloody disk out at this rate but each time I watch it I spot something new and it still makes me laugh every time.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:41 am

Argo. Amazon Prime. Very loosely based on the rescue of six American diplomats from Iran in 1979 using the cover of a film crew scouting for a science fiction film location. To me this is wildly over rated and a missed opportunity for a better and more accurate film. If I was Canadian this film would make me as angry as one of their geese.

Ironclad. Amazon Prime. A crusader version of the magnificent seven that has some odd casting choices and simplistic views of history but works as an action film. The fight scenes are entertaining and it offers the chance to see Vladimir Kulich in action which is worth anyone's time. When the looks were being handed out he got extra helpings of rugged and handsome.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Passable live action meets animation in the style of Roger Rabbit but the toons steal the day and it even features my favourite Bugs & Daffy skit. Duck season! Wabbit season!

Dead Man. Amazon Prime. An odd film shot all in black and white featuring Johnny Depp as an accountant who becomes a murderer and then runs from the law across the old west. An interesting cast keeps things going but it meanders a fair bit. Not for everyone.

Akira. DVD. A classic in animation and the film that brought the Japanese anime genre to mainstream Western attention is amazingly nearly thirty years old but still fascinating. In a rebuilt Tokyo after the devastation of a limited nuclear war some members of a teenage bike gang accidentally get involved in a secret government project to unlock psychic powers in children. Visually still a treat and featuring a fantastic musical score it remains as watchable now as when I first saw it.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Rampage. Amazon Prime. I've never watched anything by legendary terrible film maker Uwe Boll but this caught my eye as it's his first to get positive reviews. The plot of this 2009 film is sadly still relevant as it's about a spree shooter and his killing rampage in his home town. The main actor does a fairly good job of portraying a chilling killer with a plan and even provides some insight into the type of person who does these things. A pretty good effort.

Zootopia (AKA Zootropolis) GooglePlay. An odd but entertaining Disney animation that actually feels more like a Dreamworks production complete with a poster very much like their standard one. It loses it's way a bit in the middle and the plot is pretty by the numbers but remains watchable even with such an obvious villain.

Kiki's Delivery Service. DVD. A studio Ghibli animation from 1989 that mixes a 1930's style Mediterranean city with a world where witches still live and uphold an old tradition of going out on their own into the world at 13. Kiki and her end up being rather ignored but she finds a friend in a local bakers shop owner who helps her set up a delivery by broomstick service and offers her a room. This isn't a Disney style film so there isn't a villain just a very charming story of a girl finding her feet and making new friends with beautiful traditional art and a rich musical score.

Tales From Earthsea. DVD Another Ghibli film but one that didn't do so well and I can see why. Based loosely on the Earthsea novels it suffers from a tendency to meander and although well made it never really engaged me.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:51 pm

The Big Lebowski. Film 4. A case of mistaken identity gets a slacker involved in a tangled web of kidnapping and lies all told in the usual odd but entertaining Coen brothers fashion. The film has a deliberate Raymond Chandler feel about it and I can't believe it's taken me so long to actually watch this very entertaining film.

Little Big Man. Amazon Prime. Dustin Hoffman stars as a white settlers child adopted by Cheyenne and wraps his life around the events of the time leading up to the battle of The Little Bighorn all as told to a reporter by the main character as a very old man. The film is a war satire not surprisingly as it was released during the Vietnam war but it's humour and sympathetic portrayal of the Cheyenne mean it has aged well. Chief Dan George steals pretty much every scene he appears in as the Little Big Mans adoptive father and received a well deserved Oscar nomination for his performance.

April and the Extraordinary World. Amazon Prime. A very entertaining French-Belgian-Canadian animated film based on the works of comic artist Jacques Tardi set in an alternative history where the Franco-Prussian war didn't happen. The mysterious disappearances of scientist's all over the planet lead to a long lasting stagnation of science and a lasting steam age where coal reserves are exhausted and wars are fought over dwindling forests in a world choking on pollution. The daughter of two missing scientists tries to complete their work to make an 'invincibility' potion that's only result so far is an intelligent talking cat while a dogged policeman still tries to track down her grandfather through tracking her. It has a pleasing Steampunk style, humour and a solid story that came as a pleasant accidental find on Amazons newly added movies list.

Deadpool. Yes I know but every time I watch it I laugh and find new things to enjoy. I'm obsessed with this film.

An American in Paris. Amazon Prime. A still amazing looking old musical starring Gene Kelly and the exotic dancer Leslie Caron that cheered me up during the flu. An American who stays on in France after WW2 struggles as an artist until he catches the eye of a rich divorcee but he falls in love with a young woman he sees in a cafe.

Rio Bravo. Amazon Prime. When I'm ill I like to watch old movies and although I prefer the remake of this (El Dorado) it still manages to be a good but old fashioned Western. The brother of a local cattle baron is held by a local lawman and a rag tag group of deputies until the Marshall can arrive starring John Wayne & Dean Martin.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Public Enemies. ITV4. A very lightweight telling of the story of the bank robber John Dillinger starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale that prefers style over substance.

The Expendables 2. CH5. More of the same hokum but if you grew up watching eighties action flicks like me it still manages to be dumb fun as ageing action heroes shoot an endless supply of bad guys led by Jean Claude Van Damme.

Gravity. Amazon Prime. It loses some of the impact of seeing it in 3D at the cinema but still has a lot to offer in a story of an inexperienced astronaut stranded in Earth orbit.

Tokyo Godfathers. DVD. An amazing film by the late Satoshi Kon about a odd trio of homeless people who find an abandoned baby around Christmas time and attempt to care for it while looking for the parents. Funny and sad but ultimately heart warming.

Rio Lobo. Amazon Prime. A rehash of Rio Bravo played a bit more for comedy.

Room. Amazon Prime. A fascinating film about a women and her son whose entire life is lived in a single room. No spoilers but you should soon realise what is happening and how relevant it is to some true events then just enjoy two very good acting performances. I really can't recommend this film highly enough.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Silkie on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:34 pm

The Raven. Amazon Prime. A serial killer bases his crimes on the stories of Edgar Allen Poe and the detective in charge of the case brings in the author to help but the movie doesn't engage much despite this interesting premise.

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. An entertaining adaption of the book with some good casting as a con man is forced to take the vacant role of Post master in Ankh Morpock.

Deadpool. Yes I know I'm an addict but each time I watch I laugh.

The Dead Next Door. DVD. A real stinker notable only for a voice dubbing by Bruce Campbell as a police team hunt zombies and a cult at the same time. Cheap and messy.

The Devils Rejects. DVD. A gory but surprisingly stylish movie about a family of serial killers on the run from the law that's actually a lot of violent fun.

Phantasm. DVD. Old and cheap horror movie with a few good ideas especially a flying murder drone.

The Man With Two Brains. Amazon Prime. Ye olde Steve Martin comedy about a brain surgeon who marries a psychotic murderess then falls in love with a brain kept alive in a jar.

Shutter Island. FILM4. An excellent thriller with masses of twists as two detectives are sent to investigate a disappearance from an asylum that gets cut off during a storm.

The Last Days on Mars. Film4. A bit bland but with a few good ideas about a Mars mission that discovers a force that possesses the astronauts in a murderous fashion.

Star Trek into Darkness. Bluray. A guilty pleasure in this reboot that boasts great casting with a rather weak story but good action.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Film4. A very beautiful film with a message that won't appeal to everyone but the story of a dreamer who finally heads off on an adventure is one I enjoyed.

The magic Roundabout. DVD. A bit stuck between a children's movie and nostalgia but with a laugh or two as Zebedee's evil twin comes back to life.
Silkie
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!