What have you just READ?

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Re: What have you just READ?

Postby Eileen on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:21 am

Frankie Boyle: My Shit Life So Far.

As shockingly funny as he is on TV.

Eileen
Recruit Member

Player: Phil
STEAM_0:0:9644178

Postby Useless² on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Reading through all the Inheritance cycle books (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr) in preparation for the 4th book (Inheritance)coming out this november!! Eeeeeeeeee :D
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 am

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
If this is YA fiction these days it's pretty good!

Nearly at the end of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. So far it's been middling at best. Too much tell and not enough show; and a level of nostalgia for the 80s that's really depressing.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Charon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Just finished Un Lun Dun by China Mieville, if you like Pratchett check him out.

Currently reading Yellow Dog by Martin Amis, devastatingly clever use of language which can sometimes leave you scratching your head for a few seconds as the awesomeness of what you just read sinks into your mind!
Charon
Recruit Member

Player: Vermis
STEAM_0:0:17721498

Postby re# Skilgannon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:35 pm

most recent new read is The Dread by Gail Z Martin

loved it :D
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Into the Forbidden Zone by William Vollmann
- A journalistic piece about entering the evacuation zone near Fukushima last year. Mostly learnt about the author's paranoid opinion on radiation and nuclear power. :roll:

Blood of the Mantis by Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Book 3 of a fantasy series I'm quite enjoying.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
- Vietnam war stories. Reckon it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's about the difficulty of dealing with the things that happened as a young man, how to try to explain or why you might bother trying to explain those things. Why the truth isn't always possible and why a fictional story may convey truth better than the non-fiction account pulled from old memory and told through the prism of guilt and self-interest. The language is beautiful. It's a collection of short stories and it's not very long so it's not a massive investment of time. Read it!
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby cerb on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 am

Dune
Paul of Dune
got the next 3 waiting :)
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080654

Postby Omnicron on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 am

The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
Omnicron

Player: Omnicron
STEAM_0:1:19183224

Postby JennyWren on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Anna Kerenina by Leo Tolstoy - Very long book, felt like it took an age to read, but totally worth it. When I got to the last 100ish pages I could barely put it down. Wanted to finish it before the film comes out. Keira Knightley will not make a good Anna!!

Filth by Irvine Welsh - The most disgusting and disturbing book I've ever read, but sooooo good! Did not see them plot twists coming!

I feel like I need to go and read something really trashy and light after wading through those two!

JennyWren
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Jenny
STEAM_0:1:15899741

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 am

Yay! More love for the book thread! And congratulations on finishing Anna Karenina! I have a copy sitting on my bookshelf, intimidating me. One day I’ll pick it up, it’s just that I’m a lazy reader and took about 3 years reading W&P on and off.

Lately, I've read:

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
- If you want grim fantasy with messy, scary warfare/fight scenes and morally dubious characters trying to stay alive these are the books for you. I bloody loved it!

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
- A mish-mash of steam-punk, horror and fantasy set in a grimy, sprawling city on the confluence of two rivers and sitting under the rib cage of some enormous long-dead leviathan. The ideas are really out there, the cultures and characters well thought out; and, while the over-arching plot is largely a monster hunt, it explores ideas about artificial intelligence, identity, consciousness, race relations and justice across cultures. It completely eschews the usual monarchist tones of a lot of fantasy stories and must be the only one I’ve read to feature a labour dispute and strike! This sort of semi-realism in a fantastical world also applies to the fates of the characters - they have no plot-armour, so if you enjoyed the Game of Thrones books for the unpredictability of what happens to the characters then you’d really enjoy this.

Flat Earth News by Nick Davies
- Nick Davies is the journo who broke the News of the World hacking scandal which led to the Leveson inquiry. This was written in 2008 and basically details the changes in the newspaper industry since WW2 towards absolute profit maximisation. They’ve stripped news teams down to the bare bones and expect them to produce more copy than ever before. As a result they don’t have much time to write on each article, let alone do any double checking. PR and state propaganda sneak in easily this way. There’s more stuff to do with risk aversion, the hiring of inexperience (and cheap) staff into inappropriate positions and management pressures to fit certain kinds of story (there are tales of the Daily Mail literally telling reporters to come back from going to an interview when the victim of the crime has turned out to be black). There’s a chapter on the “dark arts” – phone hacking, blagging, sifting rubbish, bribing police etc and some in depth stories of how all the elements have come together in particular newspapers like the Mail, Times and Observer. You’ll trust the news even less than ever before after reading this.

I've just started reading Cloud Atlas after seeing the immense trailer that came out a couple of weeks ago. So far so very good!
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby JennyWren on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Cloud Atlas is an amazing book! I've read pretty much everything David Mitchell has read, and it's all good, but that one's just incredible. I have mixed feelings about the film! Not sure it can ever do justice to the novel!

JennyWren
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Jenny
STEAM_0:1:15899741

Postby cerb on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:18 pm

well, after these two reviews, put Cloud Atlas and Perdido St. Station on my list. cheers..!
just finished The Hobbit... a friend who served with me got me this as a parting gift. it was great fun!
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080654

Postby BenJy! on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 am

Tried reading the first book of Game Of Thrones but couldn't get into it, going to put them on eBay. Got myself a new Horror book that covers everything from the early 1900s to present day, have a bout 6 of these books but it's always nice to read something from a different perspective.
BenJy!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: GGGhost!
STEAM_0:1:10348274

Postby re# Skilgannon on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 pm

"The Lost Treasure of Tartessos" by Neville Duke

only available on Amazon through kindle but actually a really good read, was pleasantly surprised :)

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Khaja on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am

just finished re-reading the full Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy once again. Still as wierd and funny as ever and infinitely better than anything on tv or film.
Khaja

Player: Khaja
STEAM_0:1:20690963

Postby Bobbobthebob on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I've been reading like a machine lately. In the last month I've read:

• Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    - Go watch the trailer to the film. Looks amazing, right? Go read the book before you see the movie!
  • The Red Hourglass by Gordon Grice
    - Pop sci / nature writing about predatory animals
  • The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh
    - Interesting almost dreamlike memoirs of the Vietnam war by a Vietcong veteran
  • Born to Run - Christopher McDougall
    - Really inspirational pop-sci/gonzo journalism piece about long-distance running and the Tarahumara indians.
  • Future Science by Max Brockman
    - Meh. A few good essays but an awful lot of crap and waaaaay to focused on neuroscience/psychology for a book thats meant to broadly cover science as a whole.
  • Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
    - A pop science book about the research done using human cadavers and the history of that work. Sounds weird and a bit dry but the author maintains a wry humour throughout and makes it very interesting. A very easy read given the subject matter.
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Book thread resurrection time!

I've been on a little bit of a sci-fi kick lately with The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks and Startide Rising by David Brin (this features space dolphins so it's a little on the goofy side but still a lot of fun).

A couple of stand out books from the last couple of months:

• Help! A Bear is Eating Me! by Mykle Hansen
    A short book narrated entirely by a disgusting yuppie trapped underneath his SUV in Alaska with nothing but beer and designer pills for company and a bear eating his feet. The story is told in a stream of consciousness from the yuppie speaking to an imaginary would-be rescuer, explaining how he came to be in his current predicament. Bits of the story start to fall apart at the edges and he alters his story to cover for the discrepancies, all the while the effects of the drugs and alcohol begin to exert their own influence.

• A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara W. Tuchman
    It's a narrative history of Europe in the 14th century, loosely revolving around the life of a particular French nobleman with strong ties to England. If you enjoyed a Game of Thrones, many of the events in this book influence the plot and setting of that world. It's got war, backstabbing, poisoning, plagues, crusades, whole cities put to the sword, torture, kidnapped kings, pogroms, revolts, antipopes, flagellants and roving bands of mercenaries pillaging the countryside. Seriously f***ed up stuff which actually happened. The parallels with the horrors of the 20th Century are also very interesting.

So, what've you been reading guys?
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Postby coldandtired on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Currently reading The Naked Ape, which I've never read before.

The kids have totally removed any time and energy I had for reading :(

Although to be accurate I've read many, many Postman Pat/Bob the Builder/assorted fairy tales recently.

On that note I can recommend The Bear Snores On and The Bear Feels Scared to any parent who needs something new to read to their offspring (no sarcasm).
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Shiho on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 am

I've just finished reading Halo: Cryptum, the first novel of the Forerunner trilogy.
And I'm currently reading Halo: Primordium, sequel of Halo: Cryptum.
It was so long to wait for Halo's 4 release, and I was very curious about Forerunners.
Because from Halo CE to Halo 3, we've only known about monitors and agressor Sentinels :)
I got interested in reading SF novels through the Halo ones.
I'd like also to get the novels of Kilo-Five trilogy.
"Un seul être vous manque, et tout est dépeuplé."
Shiho
Recruit Member

Player: [一方通行] Ophis
STEAM_0:0:34193379

Postby re# Skilgannon on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 am

Meeting Mr Write by Cassie Lewis (amazon download only)

first book and surprisingly touching

re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

PreviousNext

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!