What have you just READ?

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Re: What have you just READ?

Postby jihn on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Been reading a fair bit lately :)

Gaiman:
Good Omens
American Gods
Coraline
Anansi Boys
The Graveyard Book
Neverwhere
Smoke and Mirrors

Jack McDevitt:
Deepsix

Dan Simmons
Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion

Hugh Howey
Wool Omnibus edition(wool 1-5)
First Shift - Legacy
Second Shift - Order
"The rover batteries have 18kwh of juice. The oxygenator alone uses 44.1kwh per sol. See my problem?
You know what? "Kilowatt-hours per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name.
One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything.. um...I suck at this ... oh FK it. I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".
All told, the Big Three need 69.9pn, most of that going to the Oxygenator and Atmospheric regulator."
-Mark Watney 'The Martian'
If you want something done, select a busy person‚ for the other kind has no time. - based on Elbert Hubbard
jihn

Player: uSayItBstWhnUSAYntn@all
STEAM_0:0:159716

Postby Synaphix on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 pm

I've been reading through the James Patterson books again for Alex Cross :D
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin team? Apply here or inbox me if you are a current UKCS Admin.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Postby Aceo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Peter Brett - Demon Cycle 1&2.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Lurker on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:57 am

Uncle Borio - Onre De Balzac
Not sure if it's spell correctly since i'm translating.
Lurker

Player: Prosecutor Lurker#nihilo-satani
STEAM_0:0:46716322

Postby Bobbobthebob on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason Stearns

It's all about the civil war(s) in the Congo. To say it's complicated would be an understatement. It's really interesting; the politics involved and the moves the different forces take are pure Macchiavelli. But ultimately it's the everyday non-combatant people that suffer. The second Congolese civil war is reckoned to have killed 5.4 million people mainly through starvation and disease. The lack of interest from the first world in doing anything about the most deadly war since WW2 is properly sickening.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby Dauntless on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 am

Managing My Life: My Autobiography by Alex Ferguson, Hugh McIlvanney.

The book takes his life from birth to 1999/2000.

There are 3 reasons why I love this book. Firstly, yes I am a Man Utd supporter, thats the first reason done. Secondly, it fits well with my current managment development at work and Thirdly, I have never read an autobiography that has kept me enthralled from start to finish like this one did, in fact I believe it may be the first one I have finished!

"1999 was an outstanding year for Alex Ferguson, not only did he lead Manchester United to a unique and outstanding treble triumph, but he was also awarded the highest honour for his sporting achievements?a Knighthood from the Queen. Universally respected for his tough but caring managerial style, Ferguson is an intelligent man with a fascinating life story. Covering his tough Govan upbringing through to his playing days and onto his shift into management, Managing My Life is told with a fine balance of biting controversy and human sensitivity."
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby jihn on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:01 pm

World War Z - Max Brooks
A must read for all zombie fans, talks about the scams, the scares, the ignorance and the fight related to the walking dead roaming the earth. Its written as a collection of stories from all over the globe spanning from the beginning of the infection and onwards, all written in a chronological order.

The Martian - Andy Weir
What can i say, it was right up my alley, sci-fi with humor!
I had a good few laughs while reading, my other half looked at me strangely quite often while i was reading in the sack :P

"I'm stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I'm dead. I'm in a Hab designed to last 31 days. If the Oxygenator breaks down, I'll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I'll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I'll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I'll eventually run out of food and starve to death. So yeah. I'm f----d." - Mark Watney
"The rover batteries have 18kwh of juice. The oxygenator alone uses 44.1kwh per sol. See my problem?
You know what? "Kilowatt-hours per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name.
One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything.. um...I suck at this ... oh FK it. I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".
All told, the Big Three need 69.9pn, most of that going to the Oxygenator and Atmospheric regulator."
-Mark Watney 'The Martian'
If you want something done, select a busy person‚ for the other kind has no time. - based on Elbert Hubbard
jihn

Player: uSayItBstWhnUSAYntn@all
STEAM_0:0:159716

Postby Templar+ on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 am

Bradley Wiggins: My Time.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Walking Dead P1 graphic novel/comic book thing.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Bobbobthebob on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I've read a bunch lately:

• Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
    - A woman's memoirs of growing up in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe (during the civil war), Malawi and Zambia. A crazy time and place and a crazy family to match it.

• Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class by Owen Jones
    - A really worthwhile book and I wish more people could internalise the main points of this book when looking at the state of the working class in Britain.

• The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie
    - It's basically an anti-war fantasy war novel. I really enjoyed this and thought it was a heck of a lot better than his previous standalone novel, Best Served Cold. I think the fact that the entire story revolves around one battle helps to keep the narrative tight and focused, whereas BSC with its revenge plot got rather episodic as the protagonist went down her list of targets. That said, there were bits and pieces that didn’t really add much to the story other than to contribute another bit-piece in the overarching “war is hell and pointless” theme. For example,

Stranger-come-knocking and the prototype cannon

are both built up as if they’ll have an important impact upon the story later on but then practically disappear as far as this book’s plot is concerned. I can only guess that they’ll be appearing in later books.

• Don’t Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett
    - A really interesting book. The first two thirds cover the village life and culture of the Pirahã (a remote tribe in the Amazon), the author’s life as an embedded linguist and missionary and a bit about the lives of the other peoples in the area; particularly the Caboclos and river-traders. The Pirahã have a cultural stricture that causes them to basically discount almost anything that has not been directly experienced (i.e. they will believe an eyewitnesses account of something but will not believe a story related from an earlier time) which became very problematic for a missionary trying to get them to believe in tales of a man who lived thousands of miles away thousands of years ago. This “living in the now” culture and lifestyle means that they have few cultural artifacts of their own. They do not build their own dugout canoes, even when shown how to; they do not store food like nearly every other culture in the area; they don’t have any creation myths. They’re also resistant to the influence of other cultures due to some cultural chauvinism on their part. The Pirahã do things a certain way and aren’t particularly interested in the Brazilian or American way of doing things. They’re happy to use certain items when they get hold of them, they regularly trade for machetes, shotguns, dug-out canoes, liquor etc but they’re not interested in changing their way of life in order to make these items themselves.

The final third is a fairly hardcore explanation of what the author believes the Pirahã language says about Noam Chomsky’s theory of natural grammar which has been a cornerstone of linguistics for several decades. If I’ve understood the author correctly, he makes a compelling argument for a “messier” view of language, culture and human nature than perhaps natural grammar allows for. I was however really conscious of the fact that the author is essentially a bit of a maverick in the world of linguistics and I don’t have any grounding in the subject to allow me to spot if he’s ignoring inconvenient facts or glossing over any counter-arguments. It might have been better, given that this is a book written for lay-people, if he’d spent a few pages explaining the ideas behind and evidence for natural grammar before using the Pirahã language to attack it.
Bobbobthebob aka His Royal Bobness and Grand High Bob of Bobland
Bobbobthebob
Experienced Member

Player: Bobbobthebob
STEAM_0:0:10020489

Postby SaintStrongbow on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Trudie Canavan's The Rogue was the last book I read, finally got The Traitor Queen (paperback) on pre-order as missus complains if I buy hardback books rather than paperback :roll:
Sometimes you have to stand in the shadows; to see the light.

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Player: SaintStrongbow
STEAM_0:1:19879963

Postby Aceo on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 pm

^ That second trilogy is really good. I enjoyed them.

I've just read Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw. Was an interesting read...

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby SaintStrongbow on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 am

Finished reading Traitor Queen, another enjoyable ending to a trilogy from Trudi Canavan. Was a bit disappointed with Cery's storyline in this book but doesn't really detract from the book too much!

Joe Abercrombie's Red Country just popped through my door, so that's next on the reading agenda! :D

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby The Ninja Pirate on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:44 am

I've just finished reading the latest book from A Song of Ice and Fire -series. Can't wait for last two books to be published!
Hopefully George R. Martin won't kick the bucket before he finishes them.

I started reading "Elves" by Graham McNeill. It's based on Warhammer universe and it contains three different books and couple of shorter stories.
The Best ninja (and pirate) in East Finland.
The Ninja Pirate
Home Member

Postby SaintStrongbow on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 am

Finished reading a novella called Legion by Brandon Sanderson; was a good read and easily potential there for a proper series of books to be written with that story!

Didn't get chance to read the second novella in the book, Emperor's Soul, yet. Might leave it for another time as Steelheart (same author) just got delivered so might end up reading that first. Got Way of the Kings to read by Brandon yet too!

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby SaintStrongbow on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 am

Already devoured Steelheart, good book! 8/10. Ending is a little bit lame in places but obviously laying foundation for beginningof next book in series.

Anybody read the Way of the Kings? I hear it is a bit convoluted but I have enjoyed the rest of Brandon Sanderson's work so am gonna give it a go!

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby SaintStrongbow on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Seems I'm the only one reading at the mo!

Didn't start Way of Kings but instead returned to the book of 2 novellas and read Emperor's Soul. Very good story, again with a whole lot of potential for more!

Anyone else here a fan of Brandon Sanderson?

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:13 pm

lol I read loads!
Am currently re-visiting the following

Magician Raymond E Feist - work break reading
Girl who kicked the hornets nest - bath reading
Dragon Prince Melanie Rawn - bed time reading

actually that's only 3 on the go atm which is unusual for me. its usually more!
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
re# Skilgannon
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668

Postby Dauntless on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm

re# Skilgannon wrote:lol I read loads!
Am currently re-visiting the following

Magician Raymond E Feist - work break reading
Girl who kicked the hornets nest - bath reading
Dragon Prince Melanie Rawn - bed time reading

actually that's only 3 on the go atm which is unusual for me. its usually more!

Just re-visited the whole Magician saga as the only one I hadn't read was the final book and it was something I used to try out my free/new E-Reader, Just starting the last book 2nite :D
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby CiRuS on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 am

currently reading the 'Left Hand Of God' series by Paul Hoffman http://www.goodreads.com/series/54711-t ... and-of-god very good reading.

currently waiting on the following series to be continued

Will Hill - Department 19 series
Terry Pratchett - Discworld
Peter Clines - Ex Heros series
Black Marketeer Of World War III
CiRuS
Home Member

Player: CiRuS[BonE]
STEAM_0:0:821723

PreviousNext

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!