[TV & Book]Game of Thrones

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

Re: [TV & Book]Game of Thrones

Postby EWJ on Tue May 26, 2015 8:59 pm

why did the , oh so hot, Sand girl not let Bronn die? why? WHY!!!!!

God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Cersei has been presented as a master schemer, lying in wait for someone to spring her trap and destroy them. I find it difficult to believe that she was so grief-stricken that all of that goes out of the window to get at one person she's never liked. I'm thinking it may have been better explored in the books because now she just looks like a short-sighted dolt. Hell, with the sparrows becoming a problem, why not just bribe a guard to kill What's-her-bollocks Flowers and place a religious artefact on her body? "Oh no, these religious nutters some how got in and butchered the queen! Send in the guards, wipe them all out, no one stop to think I'm killing two birds with one stone!"

I'm also confused as to why The Most Beautiful Woman in all the Seven Kingdoms let Bronn live. What do they have to gain by doing that? I suppose it means that none of them get a murder charge and potentially live to fight another day but wouldn't they be executed for mounting an illegal uprising anyway? It seems like they're trying to play a longer game which I really hope to see play out. Plus, I like Bronn.

"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Silkie on Wed May 27, 2015 4:30 pm

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? Never waste a potentially valuable resource.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby S.O.Sniper on Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Binerexis wrote:

Cersei has been presented as a master schemer, lying in wait for someone to spring her trap and destroy them. I find it difficult to believe that she was so grief-stricken that all of that goes out of the window to get at one person she's never liked. I'm thinking it may have been better explored in the books because now she just looks like a short-sighted dolt. Hell, with the sparrows becoming a problem, why not just bribe a guard to kill What's-her-bollocks Flowers and place a religious artefact on her body? "Oh no, these religious nutters some how got in and butchered the queen! Send in the guards, wipe them all out, no one stop to think I'm killing two birds with one stone!"

Cersei's never been a master schemer, she's just always tried to present herself as that. She's always thought she's smarter than she actually is, but she's never been great at plotting for the bigger picture, and often let her emotions govern her plots. With the High Sparrow, it seems like she wrongly assumed she had him under her thumb like she's had with so many other people.

I'm more annoyed by Sansa's character development seemingly going backwards.

S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby coldandtired on Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Disappointing episode. The Bronn/girl thing was standard Red Sonja stuff, the 'twist' at the end could be seen coming miles away, and I half expected Jorah to explain how he would have his vengeance, in this life or the next.

As Shuri posted above, the rape scene last week was incredibly tame for the amount of angst it seemed to cause.

coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 27, 2015 11:04 pm

coldandtired wrote:

Disappointing episode. The Bronn/girl thing was standard Red Sonja stuff, the 'twist' at the end could be seen coming miles away, and I half expected Jorah to explain how he would have his vengeance, in this life or the next.

As Shuri posted above, the rape scene last week was incredibly tame for the amount of angst it seemed to cause.

I think what they're going for is the implication of repeated rape rather than just one incident. Essentially, she's back where she was in season 2/3; stuck to an emotionally sadistic individual who stifles escape attempts. I do hope we see some of Baelish's training/advice be of some use to her because she was just starting to get interesting.

Ditto for Arya.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Thu May 28, 2015 9:15 am

All the outrage started just minutes after the first act though so they rather jumped the gun.

It would be much easier if we could change to title to 'don't read unless you're up to date!' and save all these spoiler tags :)
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 31, 2015 8:22 am

I prefer it with the spoiler tags as you have to actually click on it; if you see a spoiler, it's your own fault. It also solves the problem of some people seeing it Sunday night/Monday morning and those who see it a day or so late.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Silkie on Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

[scruffy]Second[/scruffy]

It's just a few quick clicks and the best thing about it for me is not knowing what's going to happen next.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby EWJ on Sun May 31, 2015 3:14 pm

wait! what do you mean the ship sinks and Jack dies!!! Nooooooooooo

Balls! forgot the spoiler tag.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Silkie on Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 pm

I maintain people who spoil should be tied up in a sack with cats but not thrown in the ocean as kitties do not like the wet. I had the sixth sense spoilt for me. I spoilt the offenders darts arm for the rest of the evening in what I maintain was a rare act of violence for me.
Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby coldandtired on Sun May 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Binerexis wrote:I prefer it with the spoiler tags as you have to actually click on it; if you see a spoiler, it's your own fault. It also solves the problem of some people seeing it Sunday night/Monday morning and those who see it a day or so late.

The problem with this is deciding how old an episode must be to deem a spoiler tag necessary. Can we talk about Ned's fate yet without them? How about wedding activities?
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:08 pm

coldandtired wrote:
Binerexis wrote:I prefer it with the spoiler tags as you have to actually click on it; if you see a spoiler, it's your own fault. It also solves the problem of some people seeing it Sunday night/Monday morning and those who see it a day or so late.

The problem with this is deciding how old an episode must be to deem a spoiler tag necessary. Can we talk about Ned's fate yet without them? How about wedding activities?

Personally, I go for a three or four season do-not-spoil policy for people who actively avoid anything to do with a series which is fast becoming engrained in popular culture. I know one or two people who never start watching a series until a finished boxset is available so I'm in the habit of watching what I say (being part of a huge forum some years ago which was VERY strict about such things also played a part, I think).

Of course, it also depends on the show. I still would never dream about spoiling anything in The Wire for anyone who hasn't seen it even though it's more than a decade old now. I think that having a solely time-based deciding factor without taking anything else into account can ruin a good many things for people. I mean, the books have been out for a very long time now but if someone spoiled the story for me with the excuse of "Well you should have read the books, they've been out for years" wouldn't wash.

Thankfully, spoiler tags don't inconvenience anyone and ensures there are no spoilers. I would say that things like "This episode made up for the last couple being a little slow" is okay to forgo a tag.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:55 am

The issue I have with spoilers as they are used here is that there is no way to judge what is potentially about to be spoiled.

In the nth episode,

x was killed by purple monkey dishwasher

Versus

In the nth episode, x was killed by purple monkey dishwasher

With the second one I have no idea whether the spoiler is going to be about a specific episode, or about a future event from the books that hasn't been filmed yet, or random gossip which might turn out to be true. Consequently, the only 'safe' option is not to read any comment, which is why I said we might as well put that in the title to warn anyone coming into the thread that anything could be spoiled.
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Binerexis on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I think people are smart enough that they're not going to click a spoiler tag at all unless they're up to date. If they open a spoiler and they're NOT up to date, it's their own fault if they have something spoiled.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:15 am

But as they can't guarantee that every spoiler is entaggened they will stay out of the thread. Hence the whole thread is inside one giant spoiler tag.

Would have thought a man missing most of each finger on one hand would have chosen something other than whittling.

coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Except mods can tag something as a spoiler if someone posts in poor taste.

For example, I haven't seen the most recent episode but wanted to look at the thread. There's a spoiler tag in your post. I don't want it spoiled so I'm not going to click on it. Zero problems!

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby coldandtired on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 pm

That one's pretty safe, although not this one

Not a good episode to be a kid. Also, it seems that for every peaceful Meereenian citizen there are at least two rebels.

coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Postby Silkie on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Yes. Great episode though.

Dragon riding, FUCK YEAH! I do like me some dragon fire as well.

Silkie
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 am

My god, what a shit episode to end a series. At least I'm not looking forward to the next one in too many months away. Could any less have happened? That should have been tacked onto the end of the last one. Massive let down.

This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

PreviousNext

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!