[TV] Derek

Talk about films, television programs or a good read you'd like to share.

[TV] Derek

Postby 13th Nightmare on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Following on from the pilot last year, Ricky Gervais returns to our screens, this time as Derek. Gervais plays 49 year old Derek Noakes, a care worker in a home for the elderly; he began working there three years ago. He likes watching reality television shows and game shows and is interested in celebrities, fame and YouTube. He is a kind, helpful, selfless man with good intentions. He is vulnerable because of his childlike naiveté and lack of intelligence. He is ridiculed and ostracised, as well as being marginalised by mainstream society because of his social awkwardness, unattractiveness and lack of inhibitions. Derek says it is more important to be kind than to be clever or good-looking. Many media sources describe him as autistic.

It also marks the beginning of that man with a head like an orange, Karl Pilkington's acting career. As he plays Dougie, the home's caretaker and bus driver who considers taking unwanted possessions for himself from residents who have recently died as a perk of his job. Derek and Dougie live in Dougie's council flat.

Gervais did stir up controversy before the show had even aired, due to the fact that some believed that the show would be making fun of mentally disabled people. Having watched the pilot, I never saw anything like that. If anything, Derek is portrayed as a kind hearted soul, that just wants to help people out. And in Gervais's words, is "better than us."

One of my favourite trailers for the show:

Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Re: [TV] Derek

Postby Synaphix on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I actually saw the pilot or first episode not sure which on 4oD the other day, was quite fun to watch and I think I'll wait for a few more to build up before watching more. As you said, I have also not seen him taking the piss out of disabled people at all, he comes across as a kind person.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby Templar+ on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I love this show and often find myself feeling sorry for Derek.

I think given the way Ricky Gervais can be people probably thought he would make a mockery out of people that are mentally challenged but i don't see this as the case.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby 13th Nightmare on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I think Ricky Gervais summed it up perfectly with this tweet:

rickygervais “@rhyswintle: do you deem Derek controversial?” Not in the slightest. Only 1 reason anyone considers it controversial: because I made it.

I have to agree with that as after watching the pilot and the 1st episode of the new series, I never saw any moments where you could consider him having a go at disabled people. And that speech that Karl/Dougie gave at the end of the episode was brilliant. I know that he was acting, but you could really feel the anger in his voice as he gave that speech
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Templar+ on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am

agreed i absolutly love Dougie :)
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Return to Films, Television and Books Even!