Cricket News and Views

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

Cricket News and Views

Postby Azzy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Welcome to the Cricket thread

This thread gives the cricket fans of the community a place to post about one of their favoured sports and keep it in a place where we can all see it.
Often a thread is posted on cricket and it kind of gets flushed down the pecking list by the football threads. This means you can find the cricket thread easily and post what you want or go back to some info you wanted to re-read without scrolling through the numerous other threads.

I have added a few websites below in relation to cricket.
(If there are any missing or any useful websites you have that you want to share please PM me and I will add them for you)

BBC Cricket

The England and Wales Cricket Board

Sky Sports Cricket

Cricket Info
Last edited by Azzy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby GazNET on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Nice idea, Azzy. We should have a Weekly Review sticky for Cricket.
Sector Clear!
www.gaznet.com
GazNET
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: GazNET
STEAM_0:0:2825642

Postby Azzy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Lets start the thread off with something positive for us, winning :D

England Defeat New Zealand by 9 runs (364 all out - 123 & 232 all out) this sets England 2-0 in the series.
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Postby ShoTz on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm

I would of liked anderson to get a 10wicket match - his bowling in the first innings was insane but hes still too inconsistant.

Sidebottom yet again put in another great performance with a 6 for.

shame about the batting - collingwood and bell both out for ducks i cant see the playing in the south africa series later in the summer, Bopara + 1 will come in.

Also did anyone see the langer interview in which he said that any english man playing in the diviion 1 is good enough for test cricket and that the county circuit matched that of state cricket in Australia - what a complement tbh.

The announcment of the Twenty/20 "champions league" also looks great aswell as the IPL. Next few years of cricket are gonna be great.

I will happily update this thread weekly as specially as the twenty/20 is starting on weds and i keep upto date with the county scene aswell as the test stuff.

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Player: are sober kebabs wrong?
STEAM_0:1:14417667

Postby Azzy on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 pm

ShoTz wrote:I will happily update this thread weekly as specially as the twenty/20 is starting on weds and i keep upto date with the county scene aswell as the test stuff.

#Cheers shotz your a star :)

PS. cricinfo.com added to first post
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Postby ShoTz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:39 pm

azazeal wrote:
#Cheers shotz your a star :)

<3.

and btw are you a moderator now - starting these stickies and what not.

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Postby bokkie on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

for my birthday i got 8 tickets for the ENGLAND VS SOUTH AFRICA test match day 5 at the oval

:D:D:D

we are gunna win :D (south africa)
bokkie
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mandela
STEAM_0:0:8956512

Postby nevvy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Firstly: this thread is great, it should quadruple my post count.

I was at the test match on Friday and Anderson was very impressive. After watching/playing league cricket you often forget quite how quick real bowlers are. While anderson isnt express quick, you dont find many swing bowlers who hit 90mph.

the really big news in cricket this week is the fact the Derbyshire won another championship game (against worcestershire). By an innings! Its making me feel rather giddy :P

Bokkie: buying day 5 tickets is pointless! monty will have bowled SA out twice by lunch on the 3rd day :P. Seriously, its usually best to wait for day 4/5 tickets. sometimes the game is over and if it isnt you can often get in for a tenner

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby bokkie on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Bokkie: buying day 5 tickets is pointless! monty will have bowled SA out twice by lunch on the 3rd day . Seriously, its usually best to wait for day 4/5 tickets. sometimes the game is over and if it isnt you can often get in for a tenner

LOL

more like done by steyn

was given them but might be able to trade never know,

just to let you know i am a middlesex man :D
bokkie
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mandela
STEAM_0:0:8956512

Postby ShoTz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Surrey > Middlesex :D

Hardly any games left to play at the oval this summer but hopefully ill make a few days of cricket to watch down there.

Getting it done in bedser upper :D

and this thread is literally just gonna be us three for pages+pages.

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Postby nevvy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm

i think we should spark some serious debate on the SA v England Test match series. (its 2v1 shotz!) :P

ive seen a quote from jacques kallis saying that the south africa "pace bowling" attack will blow england away.

ntini: fast medium, not much movement.
morkel: tall, might get bounce but on fast medium
steyn: nearly fast, good bowler but will throw down some pies
langeveldt: not fast, probably wont play.
nel: ugly, angry, average. doesnt get picked cos he isnt black.

I'm not saying englands pace attack is quicker but its certainly as potent especially if flintoff is back. batting wise i think the teams are quite even too. im also sure that there will be plenty of fireworks between KP and smith as they literally hate each other.

the only place where i think england are clearly better is we have a top class spinner who will bowl the opposition out. the left armer who played for SA in india (forgot his name) recently is a bit village. i know the indians play spin well but he didnt look like causing trouble in favourable conditions. england will play spin better too (ignoring kallis).

the only change i think england should be making is dropping a batsman for flintoff OR for bopara. the man to go has to be bell UNLESS collingwood still cant remember how to bat when the series comes around.

nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Azzy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:05 pm

No I am not a mod now, I was bored at work and while I was thinking and browsing the forums I was thinking of a way that the Sports section could be improved and I thought that the new stickies would be a good thing for this part of the forum. 1 or 2 more to follow to make it complete :) Crackin gave the go ahead :)

-------------------------

Back on topic now though :D as that last paragraph just aint cricket :roll:
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Postby ShoTz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:01 pm

The advantage south africa have i feel is consistancy in there batting. Kallis is world class, smith is pretty solid - and there last series in which smith made back2back double centuries was insane, so he will be as confident, as cocky, and as much of a twat as ever.

amla, de villiers, gibbs, prince are all class players.

South africas bowling attack doesnt look the force it used to be with no pollock, and i cant see ntini/steyn leading an attack that is gonna take 20 wickets to win a test match. On the spinner is that lad with the INSANE bowling action still playing where his head is looking at the floor and his arms are swinging around like he is trying to swim? Is that that spinner u mean? because he was pretty second rate.

I think time is up for bell - he isnt performing at all well and when it matters that has been well documented - i really dont rate bopara i dont see him with a genuine test match quality - but im not sure who else there is - Ive always like shah and felt he hasnt done much wrong would like him to play.

Flintoff can be in the team on his bowling ability alone at the moment - pretty much the fastest and more agressive bowler in england and that is what we are missing from our attack.

series gonna be 2-1 england :))))

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Postby nevvy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:24 pm

i almost agree entirely shotz except:

amla: ive only seen him bat a few times but i dont rate him that highly. he has had a couple of good series. will be interesting to see how he gets on.

gibbs: top player when in the mood. he is great at smashing bad bowling and a great player to watch BUT i dont think he is that good when the heat is on. vaughan will set good plans which will work if the bowlers can execute them. i think sidebottom will do him most games through sheer accuracy and persistance i.e. giving him nothing to hit.

de villiers: i agree, good bat, GREAT fielder but is only young.

prince lacks class and he struggles against spin. i realise he is there for his doggedness as well as other non cricketing qualities but i do not see him taking england apart.

I'd prefer to see bopara play ahead of shah. bopara's got it upstairs and will get better. he has also scored billions this year. shah on the other hand has never impressed me that much, plays too loosely to be considered a proper test match batsman.

lets hope freddie is fit. lets not forget simon jones either. he has been bowling 90mph+ and taking wickets (admittedly against the tail most of the time). i do believe it will only be a matter of time before he injures himself again. that action is so good to watch but not great for his body.

on another positive england note: stuart broad has finally replaced ashley giles as a genuine number 8 "batsman".

shotz: the spinner you're thinking of was paul adams the chinaman bowler. im not sure if he is even playing anymore.

the left armers name will come back to me eventually, even if i have to go on www.howstat.com to work it out.

nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby cowboyfromhell on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:36 pm

I think you'll find Gibbs has been dropped, and is considering international retirement.
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby Pulsey on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:02 pm

bokkie wrote:for my birthday i got 8 tickets for the ENGLAND VS SOUTH AFRICA test match day 5 at the oval

:D:D:D

we are gunna win :D (south africa)

bad day to get test match tickets mate - they hardly last the whole day :)
and why did yu pay for them ? :S casue if you buy tickets for day4 you usually get tickets FREE for day 5 casue it usually doesnt last all day... lol
Il Mix CS:S Anytime
Pulsey
Recruit Member

Player: |Platinum|Pulsey
STEAM_0:0:13724693

Postby Pulsey on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:04 pm

bring back jonty rhodes!
what an awesome catch he made.
Il Mix CS:S Anytime
Pulsey
Recruit Member

Player: |Platinum|Pulsey