Martial Arts - Woooo-Chaaaa!!

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

Martial Arts - Woooo-Chaaaa!!

Postby the_tub on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:16 am

Alot of you may not know much about me so i thought id share something.

I study martial arts in my spare time.

The arts i study are Wing Tsun Kung Fu and Jeet Kune Do.

Ive also studied Tai Chi, Silat and Tae Kwon Do, though i dont attend lessons at the moment.

#### WT ####
WT is a descendant of classic kung fu styles developed in shaolin temples. The art form is a complete fighting system employing all types of strikes with a unique defensive technique.

Rather than learn blocks that are solid and therefore weak, we learn to move with our opponent, yielding to overwhelming force and attacking where space is available. I find it hard to explain the concept, you have to feel it for yourself. And believe me 'chi-sau' (sticking hands) is an amazing idea to understand and apply.

Visit the webby for my WT club at uni here it has alot more depth on the history of WT which is very interesting.

Incase youre interested, my strike rate while chain punching is 4-5 punches a second.

#### Jeet Kune Do (JKD) ####
Bruce Lee. Enough said. Lee found many problems with the styles and system that existed so he produced an ultimate fighting system. Based upon the WT he had learnt in China, he adapted and innovated, combining techniques (punches from boxers, steps from fencers, kicks from thai kick boxers) The name translates to 'way of the interecepting fist'. The style is very fast and effective and ive found it exciting to learn.

Theres so much on the web just go google it.

Sorry if ive got anything wrong. Im just trying to express how i consider the two martial arts and so my interpretation may be incorrect. What is correct is how amazing learning them is. The combination of mind and body leads to the most effective applications of the body. Until you feel it you cant really understand.

Does anyone else study martial arts?
Do you have any questions?
= UKCS Old Time Patron =
the_tub
Experienced Member

Player: the_tub
STEAM_0:1:3308393

Postby saggymanboobs on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:18 am

Yeah, I did quite a bit before odo sensai moved away....that was some years back now. My main discipline was akido, although sensai taught karate and three star wing tsun (tiger/crane style derivitive i think). We used to call it 5 star wing CHUN just to make him laugh, he was a funny guy. He taught the others so we would master the one - akido is an ace, non-combative martial art, which I keep promising myself to get back into.

Your Definition of WT is quite good! WT is very weak on leg movement and kicks,; you could say it's all hands! I still think it's best summed up like this : - "The shortest distance between two objects is a straight line". Wing Tsun is based upon the shortest distance between you and your attacker - always the straight line.

I'm jealous that you found a silat master, as most of the 'masters' I've met were just karate/judo instructors that said they knew silat but had nothing formal to back it.

Jeet Kune do was as elusive as silat...lots of people say they can teach, but have nothing formal & are not accredited.I've seen it and sparred against it. Very effective.

- Saggy
Sarah says: I am indeed, enjoying the big willy so to speak!

Fede said: oh col, gotta tell you this, i had a dream, and you were in it as a mexican wrestler, fully tatooed and with an awesome costume :D
saggymanboobs
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Saggymanboobs
STEAM_0:1:1621139

Postby Uziel on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:31 am

studdied Muay Thai when i was a kiddy very very hard sport (i ache thinking about it rofl) never was very good cos my bones break to easy but was great fun. After that spent about 5 years studying the Yang Family of Tai Chi would have loved to have done silat but yup you guessed nearest teacher was about 400 miles away and no formal teaching in it (why is it so rare these days was highly popular in ther 80s now its non existant)
________

Uziel
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Uziel
STEAM_0:1:1682665

Postby .gR# XaRoS on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 am

hehe i dont want to say that in public so joe find me on msn pz m8...

i guess we have a lot to say....
God Loves Weed
.gR# XaRoS
UKCS Sponsor

Postby /2iC4iE on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:44 am

I got a purple belt in judo :) not the most leathal of martial arts. Plus i havent done any judo for about 2 years... But good fun tho.
ImageImage - Richie
/2iC4iE
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:1:3763584

Postby the_tub on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:49 am

Finding accredited instructors for arts like silat and JKD is very hard because they are still relatively new and dont really have a solid national organisation.

I have a friend that had learnt martial arts for over 10 years. He's so experienced that where he practices JKD hes actually better than the teacher who is younger than him. I learnt silat and jkd from my him. He also knows aikido karate and judo, this is interesting as when we spar and he teached me stuff he always mixes in something completely different.
= UKCS Old Time Patron =
the_tub
Experienced Member

Postby JOKER on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:16 am

i am a master of the pubgottogo the art of moving heavy objects i go and train as much as i can getting very good at it trouble is its a big class not a lot of 1on1 training so its differcult to master we all end up in groups so you dont get a lot of practical time to enjoy it by your self
was thinking of giving it up but i think i will stick it out and see what happens

any time you want to spar let me now ok

joker
Image Image
look behind you it might be the joker
JOKER
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:1:4663952

Postby SILENT HUNTER on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:38 pm

Nice to see the appreciation of chinese kung fu being discussed on the server. :)
I've studied the different forms for over a decade now. It can really change your perception on life and show you nothing is impossible.
First thing in the morning a do few Mantis press-ups, you feel you can do anything! :)
SILENT HUNTER

STEAM_0:0:6171841

Postby the_tub on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:51 pm

I like to train my punching and kicking at home.

Stretching out makes you feel so good for the rest of the day and greatly improves flexibility. Wish i had a wooden dummy though cos that could be cool.
= UKCS Old Time Patron =
the_tub
Experienced Member

Postby shadow on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:01 pm

ive done judo and karate for 5 years, and 2 years aikido but ive quited the martial arts sports 2 years ago, now all i do is kicking my boxing bag
a UKCS oldtimer... risen from the grave
shadow

Player: Shadow
STEAM_0:0:538774

Postby Pr0digal on Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:06 pm

I used to do Shotokan and Go Kan Rue(think thats how its spelt). i gave up Shotokan after i picked up a knee injury. then about a year later i took up Go Kan Rue but i re injured my knee again forcing me to give up. But now im back at 100% and thinking about restarting. I used to love compatition fighting still remain undefeted 8)

Plus on of my best mates was the European Karate Champion ( under 18 )
ImageImageImage
Pr0digal
Experienced Member

Player: Pr0digal^
STEAM_0:1:3674238

Postby xenon on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:00 am

i never tried it tbh what it like? would you think i would like it?
xenon
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Xenon
STEAM_0:0:1015933

Postby saggymanboobs on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:16 am

DeadlyKiller wrote:i never tried it tbh what it like? would you think i would like it?

Depends tbh....how big/small are you, how fit and what are you looking to get out of it?

Some people do it for a social activity, protection, confidence building, fitness, as a competitive sport (karate mostly) and some weirdos take up martial arts just for fun. :D

Looking at it from another angle, some are "arts" others are fighting systems - Karate is a fighting system, until you get quite advanced there is little room for interpretation - you learn preset kata in a fairly rigid layout. To my mind this makes karate good and bad - certainly makes it good for beginners/children to learn as it is very structured. The "arts" tend to be less combative, leaving certain elements up for interpretation. I'll mention wing-tsun here as it was proportedly created by a fearsome preistess who managed to beat all opponents, regardless of size, despite being somewhat challenged vertically, and also weighing a great deal less than them, hehehehe.

The exactness that I'd like slips me by as it's late, but I remember that the "-do" on the end generally denotes an art, lol.

Hope this helps.

- Saggy

P.S. I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I did a little kendo (fencing with really big sticks) at one point. F**k me that bokken doesn't half hurt when it connects!
Sarah says: I am indeed, enjoying the big willy so to speak!

Fede said: oh col, gotta tell you this, i had a dream, and you were in it as a mexican wrestler, fully tatooed and with an awesome costume :D
saggymanboobs
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Saggymanboobs
STEAM_0:1:1621139

Postby the_tub on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:16 am

Very true saggy.

Alot of martial arts like tae kwon do and karate are taught such that you learn a very structured set of moves. These relate to certain situations and are very rigid both physically and how you can use them.

My preference for an art like wing tsun is that you dont particularly lean a set of moves for a set of attacks. It works around a concept called chi sau, which means sticking hands, whereby you learn to feel an attack and react to it without having to think about what response is best.
= UKCS Old Time Patron =
the_tub
Experienced Member

Postby SLY_MARBO on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:24 pm

never tried a martial art before, i just practice kicking and punching sometimes a little bit of tai chi. since i got long legs i practice kicking alot (i got a mean roundhouse on me :twisted: )
also got a pair of homemade nuchaku so i been practicing with them too but i dont think i have enough time to take on a martial art (maybe when iv finished school tho)
SLY_MARBO

STEAM_0:0:5872862

Postby MR.SPOON on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:23 pm

my son just passed his green belt at Tae Kwon Do
not bad as hes only 8

he seems to love it
but i cant get interested in matial arts
for some reason
MR.SPOON
UKCS Sponsor

STEAM_0:0:3050761

Postby Pr0digal on Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:26 am

i wanna learn this!! all i can say is WOW!!!

http://www.mycrazyvideos.com/video_ninja_kids_39.html
ImageImageImage
Pr0digal
Experienced Member

Player: Pr0digal^
STEAM_0:1:3674238

Postby Blast on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:50 pm

i used to do go kan rue, gave up because it clashed with ma social life. might start up in a few years, the only problem with go kan rue is you cant use weapons I WANT A REALLY BIG STICK!!!
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Postby NoOBeh^#3 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:15 pm

Did thai boxing for 3 years, which tought me how to stay calm and control myself , had to stop after brakeing 1 of my fingers pretty bad though.
I messed up
NoOBeh^#3
Home Member

Postby Matte on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:42 pm

Im in to Wing Chun Kung Fu :D

Matte

Return to Sports & Motoring