Billionaire Owners in Football Yay or Nay?

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

Billionaire Owners in Football Yay or Nay?

Postby WAR on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Birmingham have been given a £40 Million transfer budget for January: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 308822.stm

What do you make of all these big money players coming in and shovelling more money into clubs?

QPR Also have 2 billionaire owners as well. One of them is said to be the richest in English football, something like £18 Billion, will try and find source.

It's all very well and good that it means lower clubs get involved and make more competition, but surely having a club that makes it's own money from revenue etc. Is more satisfying? I mean Man City just bought their success, but they are developing youth which is good to see, that means that fans will actually get to see young players make their names which is why I enjoy watching and following Arsenal so much, but surely there should be more restriction on such a thing? This is making football players so over priced and they're going to be soo inflated during the next transfer window! It seems that the fans love for the sport is being taken the piss out of really. Because clubs buy these big names to earn revenue from advertising etc. Real Madrid are guilty of such a thing David Beckham didnt bring them success that much but he earned them alot of money from merchandise sales, same thing will happen with Ronaldo.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Re: Billionaire Owners in Football Yay or Nay?

Postby Flawless on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Needs a salary cap
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby EWJ on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:33 pm

+1 flaw.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby GazNET on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Flawless101 wrote:Needs a salary cap

This. Money is ruining the beautiful game. I have been saying it for years.
Sector Clear!
www.gaznet.com
GazNET
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: GazNET
STEAM_0:0:2825642

Postby *sketch on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 am

A salary cap would be a good idea, but I think you'd also have to restrict a footballers merchandising income as well. Just so he doesn't get distracted trying to get back to his previous (if it was) higher salary by advertising and merchandising.
*sketch
Experienced Member

Player: *sketch
STEAM_0:0:7407608

Postby oodle doodle on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Cant stand the premier league. Its just a joke now. Hope these billionaires get bored soon and go away. I'm sick of being treated as a customer instead of a fan. The whole world of football is in a mess. Hopefully we will start to see some major clubs go bankrupt soon which will scare the money out of the game. Thats the best thing that can happen for the fans IMO.
pewpew
oodle doodle
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: oodle doodle
STEAM_0:1:4921455

Postby nevvy on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:53 pm

i agree with oodle. the premier league is starting to remind me of american sports, this is a bad thing (think baseketball). i want to watch good football, i want to watch the best players, but i also want to watch teams who rely on more than a big budget. i also want english teams to bring on the next generation of english players. central contracts, like in cricket would be a great thing, this will NEVER happen though.

player power should be reduced, i'd cap the number of non-english players per side, bring in a salary cap and try to limit the number of transfers. i'd also get rid of some of these foreign coaches too, not all are bad, but some really annoy me. im not going to say who or why cos it will annoy the fans of those clubs.

also, any player caught crying/rolling around on the pitch in pain will receive a 2month instaban. if the injury is so painful that it causes a grown man to cry then then the player shouldn't be able to play that period of time, minimum.

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby WAR on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:38 pm

nevvy wrote:
also, any player caught crying/rolling around on the pitch in pain will receive a 2month instaban. if the injury is so painful that it causes a grown man to cry then then the player shouldn't be able to play that period of time, minimum.

This is because ref's are too protective over players, if a player yells out in pain I don't think he would want to risk just letting him lie there, so I do think that maybe a penalty should be given i.e. if a player needs to bring on the physio they will be removed from the game for 5 minutes, that way if it is a bad injury or needs treatment it doesn't matter, but then a player wouldn't risk the 5 minutes of being down to 10 men just to fake an injury.

The probelm with the whole diving is if there is contact you just cannot stop these players from making a meal out of it.

With foreign players it's the same thing, why pay an inflated price for an English lad when you can get someone that is better and cheaper from France for less.

Arsene Wenger said the reason why he didn't have many English people in the squad isn't because he doesn't like English players, it's because there isn't a very good talent pool in English football and you have to pay alot of money for them.

Hence this possible 5 home grown players rule and him working more on the youth setup.

Salary cap could work if it was set for everyone, but that means alot of foreign players wouldn't play in England because of the %50 tax thing.

I think being stricter on merchandising would work more, becaue a remotely good English player is worth alot from merchandising in the UK.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Return to Sports & Motoring