World Cup Draw!

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

World Cup Draw!

Postby Slippery Lizard on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 pm

World Cup - Theron 'draws' Ireland at World Cup

Oscar winning actress Charlize Theron had some fun at FIFA's expense during a trial run for Friday's World Cup draw when she 'drew' Ireland.

The South African (pictured), whose long-term boyfriend is Irish actor Stuart Townsend, made the tongue-in-cheek gesture just one day after FIFA rejected Ireland's appeal to be added to the competition as a 33rd team.

The Irish made the request after France's Thierry Henry was clearly seen handling the ball before setting up William Gallas for the winning goal in the play-off between the two sides.

Theron will co-host Friday's draw with FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, and Valcke confirmed that Theron pulled Ireland instead of France out of the bowl during rehearsal.

"Yes, she did, but it was only a joke," he said.

The 90-minute show will be televised live to an estimated global audience of more than 200 million people in 200 countries.

She will help place the 32 finalists into eight groups of four teams for the tournament which runs from June 11 to July 11.

The show will include an African musical spectacular, including gospel and jazz.

A host of sporting celebrities will also take part in the draw including Ethiopia's Olympic champion runner Haile Gebrselassie, England midfielder David Beckham, South Africa footballer Matthew Booth and cricketer Makhaya Ntini, and the host country's rugby World Cup captain John Smit.

South African president Jacob Zuma will be in the audience along with Nobel Peace prize winners FW de Klerk and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Yahoo

LOL! So why have they got her to do the draw? i would never have put her and football together, it just doesnt seem to go! lol and also, WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE DAVID BECKHAM, hes a money grabbing prick!

But anyway, the seeded teams are Pot 1:

Pots for Friday's draw: eight groups of four countries to be drawn, each group containing one country from each pot.

Pot 1 (seeds): South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England

Pot 2 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America): Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras

Pot 3 (Africa and South America): Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4 (Europe): France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia
BBC

And this will make it interesting if they do do something

No extra officials for World Cup

Fifa has decided against introducing extra linesmen at the 2010 World Cup.

But president Sepp Blatter revealed that an inquiry would be carried out into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

World football's governing body had been tipped to fast-track a decision on goal-line officials in the wake of the furore over Thierry Henry's handball.

Henry handled twice before setting up France's winner against the Republic of Ireland in their World Cup play-off.

Henry, meanwhile, will be investigated by Fifa's disciplinary committee.

The Fifa president said the executive committee had discussed the idea of introducing goal-line officials at the World Cup having introduced them for this season's Europa League.

He continued: "The committee was of the opinion that we are at a crossroads: where shall we go with refereeing in the future?

"The game at the highest level is so tense that it is impossible for one referee and his assistants to see everything."

But the committee concluded that they wanted a full inquiry into both options, extra officials and the use of video technology, before making any decision about the future.
BBC

aslo a comment from 606 via the bbc

If the correct decision was made every time then how boring would football be?

surely at the end of the day if its not fair, then whats the point in playing or watching it!?!
You think your safe, until you turn a corner i see a massive rocket heading straight for you.........what do you do???
WARNING: YOU CANNOT ESCAPE MY ROCKETS! (Big Hitting Lizard)
Slippery Lizard
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Big Hitting Lizard [LSS]
STEAM_0:1:20778156

Re: World Cup Draw!

Postby oodle doodle on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 pm

i'm glad the irish aren't going to the world cup. replaying or letting them in would have ruined the game. yeah sure it seems very unfair, but its not like they're the only side to have been cheated out of a goal. and thats all it was, one goal. the ref would have allowed them to score past france if they had been capable.

seems a bit daft to seed england though, but i'll take it.
pewpew
oodle doodle
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: oodle doodle
STEAM_0:1:4921455

Postby cowboyfromhell on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:31 pm

oodle doodle wrote:i'm glad the irish aren't going to the world cup. replaying or letting them in would have ruined the game. yeah sure it seems very unfair, but its not like they're the only side to have been cheated out of a goal. and thats all it was, one goal. the ref would have allowed them to score past france if they had been capable.

Precisely. Might be a bit harsh but I couldn't agree more.

oodle doodle wrote:seems a bit daft to seed england though, but i'll take it.

It makes sense for FIFA to have England in an easier (hopefully) group, as they're a far more lucrative team to the organisers than most - so they'll want them to get far.

Can't wait to see what all the groups look like though, going to be a great tournament I hope. :)
Senior Forum Moderator, CS:GO Admin, ex-TF2 & CSS Admin
Add me to Steam Friends if you need a hand. :)
Use the UKCS Uploader for your pictures, it's free for members!

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Xerxes wrote:Worst. Senior. Mod. Eva.
cowboyfromhell
Senior Moderator
UKCS Admin

Player: Cowboy
STEAM_0:1:10068175

Postby Love Muffin on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm

oodle doodle wrote:seems a bit daft to seed england though, but i'll take it.

We only droped points in 1 match during qualifying, we done better than alot of teams so I reckon that has something to do with it :D

STEAM_0:0:5223960
Liverpool FC
"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

Feel free to add me on Steam
PSN: HoinkDoink

UKCS Facebook
#Banter

-Daztec
Love Muffin
Experienced Member

Player: Love Muffin ت

Postby Slippery Lizard on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:41 pm

if u missed my spam session in the shoutbox, here are the groups,

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia

Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Cost, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

England's fixtures:
12 June v USA, Rustenberg (the day after the opening day!)
18 June v Algeria, Cape Town
23 June v Slovenia, Nelson Mandela Bay, Port Elizabeth
You think your safe, until you turn a corner i see a massive rocket heading straight for you.........what do you do???
WARNING: YOU CANNOT ESCAPE MY ROCKETS! (Big Hitting Lizard)
Slippery Lizard
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Big Hitting Lizard [LSS]
STEAM_0:1:20778156

Postby Love Muffin on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Good group for us :D

2nd Round we will probably face Australia

Quarter Final: France

Semi Final: Brazil

Final: Spain

Liverpool FC
"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

Feel free to add me on Steam
PSN: HoinkDoink

UKCS Facebook
#Banter

-Daztec
Love Muffin
Experienced Member

Player: Love Muffin ت

Postby windowmaker on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 pm

couldnt have asked for a better group tbh :D

windowmaker
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: WindowMaker
STEAM_0:1:6784095

Postby thomo081092 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:19 pm

TBH, I wanna see how group G goes: Brazil Ivory Coast and Portugal should be very interestin :P
thomo081092
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Marc
STEAM_0:0:10982261

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 pm

oodle doodle wrote:i'm glad the irish aren't going to the world cup. replaying or letting them in would have ruined the game. yeah sure it seems very unfair, but its not like they're the only side to have been cheated out of a goal. and thats all it was, one goal. the ref would have allowed them to score past france if they had been capable.

Its not exactly the cheating that hurt the Irish, Its the fact that they dominated France for the entire game and deserved the win. They worked so very hard and honestly, if you watched the match, ran circles around them. Multipble shots on goal and even a goal. To have it stolen from you after such hard work stings so hard. Fifa are wrong. I dont agree with Ireland being allowed to be team no. 33 or to replay, but to laugh at our suggestions is in no way professional. Extra Linesmen and Video technology is a must to be honest. In this day of age, Video should be there already tbh.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby DeanX on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 am

what a group, im happy with that. Now its down to the players to actually show what they can do.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby SupaSharpShoota on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:49 pm

We [Eng] have a simple group and in the easier half of the tournament but I realistically see us going as far as the semis. I believe it was theorised, France in the quarters and Brazil in the semis.
SupaSharpShoota
Admin (Retired)

Player: SSS
STEAM_0:0:2275281

Postby oodle doodle on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Gh0st.IRE wrote:

Its not exactly the cheating that hurt the Irish, Its the fact that they dominated France for the entire game and deserved the win. They worked so very hard and honestly, if you watched the match, ran circles around them. Multipble shots on goal and even a goal. To have it stolen from you after such hard work stings so hard. Fifa are wrong. I dont agree with Ireland being allowed to be team no. 33 or to replay, but to laugh at our suggestions is in no way professional. Extra Linesmen and Video technology is a must to be honest. In this day of age, Video should be there already tbh.

West Brom punched the ball into our goal this weekend. Not only that, but the player kicked Savage in the chest when he was on the floor without being sent off. If anything, Derby should be the 33rd team in the world cup. :lol:

I see what you're saying, but it happens to everyone. Its football. There's no need for video because these things generally even themselves out in my opinion. Things are fine as they are. I know it hurts, but I think the Irish FA played the victim a little too much. I'm saying this as a neutral too, wouldn't bother me either way if France or Ireland went through. One of the best games I ever saw was you guys beating Italy in the 94 world cup in an Irish bar in Spain. Good times. But you didn't deserve to go through. Nothing is given to you in football, and had you earned the place you would have beaten France or finished higher in your group
pewpew
oodle doodle
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: oodle doodle
STEAM_0:1:4921455

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:31 pm

The only thing Video Referancing would do would make the game fairer, theres actually no downsides to it so I cant see why its been ignored. And Im not talking about this for every match but the World Cup is the biggest competition in the world, It should atleast be used for the WC. Its sickening to see cheating on such a high level of football :<
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Return to Sports & Motoring