Help

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

Help

Postby Ouch on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello!
This my problem:
Do not know what I want to train (selfdefence / Fight skill) Whusu sems right, but a bit wrong when you do shows jumping around etc. ..
I want to be able to defend myself and when Im training i don´t want to go a fight matches and get smashed in the face :P

But i want to look like something like this (perhaps exaggerated but you know what I mean better now)
Fast punches and good defence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abecTih3Xw

Or Mauy Thai or MMA , i donno :O

Help me pick the right one :D
Name : Fredrik aka Ouch

Ouch
Recruit Member

Player: ☜✯Zepter✯☞
STEAM_0:1:13359340

Re: Help

Postby BelovedKiller on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Take fencing and carry a sword everywhere!
BelovedKiller
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: 제트별 - 冻住,不许走!
STEAM_0:0:22867374

Postby Blaze on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:03 am

I'd say Muay Thai all the way pal, I know a few guys who are semi pros, couple of them out in Thailand at the moment and have been there for like a year now. They love it and it's a very cultural sport along with being very very physical/demanding.
Blaze
UKCS Sponsor

Player: blazey
STEAM_0:1:22040076

Postby Wombat on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 am

I wouldnt do MMA. It's quite violent and in my opinion draws the wrong crowd, because of that. Wushu, being the most elemetary form of (chinese) martial arts, is really interesting, but maybe too 'spiritual' and not practical enough for some. Muay Thai or kickboxing is quite ok, but strongly depends on the teacher you will have. Some will just teach you to hurt people as much as others, whether others will also teach you how to use it responsably and not focuss on the agression alone.

Of all the martial arts i've done, I've liked Aikido the most. It's a beautiful art which combines balance, energy and power into very effective defensive movements. I like it because it doesn't 'breathe' agression, as alot of other forms do. So if you are doing it purely for self defense, I'd say Aikido. However if you also have very high physical demands (you want to work out really hard), maybe you'll be better off doing karate or muay thai. But as I said, the trainer doing the lessons makes all the difference in the world.
If you smile at life, life will smile back!
Wombat
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: [RS]Wombat
STEAM_0:0:516408

Postby MotsMan on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 am

I'm a black belt and have been doing karate (Wado Ryu) style for about 8 years. I would have to agree with what Wombat said. My style of karate has only been made better because of my fantastic sensei. What I would suggest is visit your local karate clubs and take a couple of lessons a lot of clubs will let new people come in for a few lessons to get a feel for it then you can decide what style best suits you.
Ex-CS:S Senior Admin & Ex-CS:S Map Testing & Events Manager
Thanks to Frying Dutchman for the avatar :)
MotsMan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Madsie
STEAM_0:0:12412399

Postby {TPUK}Advocate on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I have spent a very large part of my life doing different martial arts and can vouch for the effectiveness of Muay Thai and Judo for self defence. Using these techniques I have managed to defend and counter multiple attackers with and without weapons in the street (it wasn't a very nice time at all... long story and in the last street fight I ever had (about 8 years ago now) I got a little carried away at one point and put three people in hospital, luckily the police were on my side after reviewing the CCTV and getting statements!).

For sport/fitness I love Taekwondo but that is more down to the teacher than anything. I didn't really get on with Jui Jitsu, Jeet Kune Do, Kendo, Ninjitsu, Wushu or Aikedo - probably because of the teachers/my personality rather than anything inherently wrong with the style.

If you are a bit on the small side I would recommend looking at Krav Maga - this is a truly brutal and very effective self defence system and what I get most of my female friends to study.

Oh - and the best defence is a good attitude and awareness of surroundings/situation. Failing that a really fast run works well... I'd use fighting as a last resort after my previous experience. Still love it for sport though!

{TPUK}Advocate
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WindowLicker
STEAM_0:1:10948978

Postby Ouch on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Well the best way is if i go to the trainers and try out. And if i like it i will go 4 it !
I choose beetwen : Boxing , MMA , Whusu , Kickboxing , Aikido.

Thx 4 Replys !

Maby i write wath i have done and how i feelt :)

Ouch
Recruit Member

Postby Ouch on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:12 pm

BTW !

Some one seen the Undisputed movies ?
What sort of "combat" are they using in the 2nd and 3rd movie ?
MMA? or ?

Ouch
Recruit Member

Return to Sports & Motoring