[PC - MMO] Guild Wars 2

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - MMO] Guild Wars 2

Postby Frying Dutchman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 am

:shock:

Edit:
No monthly Fees, No grinding, and best of all: Breast physics. :cheers:
Last edited by Frying Dutchman on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frying Dutchman
UKCS Admin

Player: Frying Dutchman
STEAM_0:1:23273517

Re: [PC - MMO] Guild Wars 2

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 am

:shock:

Want... It better not be all instanced like GW1 though, That was gay.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Deadbolt on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Bye bye engineering degree when this game comes out :(
Deadbolt
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Deadbolt |
STEAM_0:1:28360180

Postby Albi on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Wait wait wait....NCSoft with No grinding?.....IS NOT POSSIBLE!
*shivers as he thinks back to Aion*...
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Albi
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Albi
STEAM_0:0:24290590

Postby Glitch on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:59 pm

GW has great graphics plus no monthly fee so I might pick this one up in the stores :)

I'd love to see more customization on your own characters tho, face modeling and such.
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby Supashadow on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Does look pretty good :o i played GW1 an it was fun to start with but soon got bored, lets hope that this is better..
Supashadow
UKCS Sponsor

Player: CSB! o_O
STEAM_0:0:3661472

Postby Frying Dutchman on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm

If anyone is interested read this:
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

It's a more in depth article about all the things explained in the video.

This is an exciting time for ArenaNet. We’re a company of passionate gamers with one mission: to make Guild Wars 2 the best MMORPG ever created. We are a 150+ person development team and we’re betting our company on Guild Wars 2

Oh this part from the article is quite interesting...
This game has my attention and I'm seriously considering to pre-order :D
Frying Dutchman
UKCS Admin

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Anything about it being non-instanced (Similar to WoW, WAR etc) ??
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Postby Silent Image on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 am

This old Guild Wars veteran here is looking forward to this game, from what I can tell from what they've said about the game and shown so far is that it's going to be Guild Wars, but with a persistent world and more fluid movement. Instancing will probably be limited to special dungeons and quests like in other MMOs, so you will see other players and all that. Personally I preferred the instancing system in Guild Wars as you wouldn't have situations such as people queuing up to kill certain mobs or do certain quests, or people being general idiots. However ArenaNet say they've done away with this in this game, but I'm not going to put too much faith in that statement, sounds like the drivel that most developers like to spew out in development diaries these days.

@Albi Aion and Guild Wars are pretty different games. Aion was made by a Korean Company for a Korean Audiance (in the main) so it was 85% likely to be a pure grindfest. To be honest, Aion is quite a lightweight game when you compare it to NCSofts other Korean heavy-weight Lineage 2 (Now THAT is a grindfest). I'm still playing Aion and Guild Wars today and both offer very different styles of gameplay.

If they haven't changed the core aspects of Guild Wars then I'm very likely going to <3 this game. Their statement of Guild Wars 2 having no grind will probably be half true in my opinion. It will probably be easy to level up to the max cap as it is in Guild Wars 1, however a MMORPG without any kind of character progression of some type would be like having Gran Tuurismo 5 come out with only 5 cars to choose from. It might be a great game but without any kind of choice or progression of some kind players will eventually get bored. In Guild Wars 1 even after you hit the max level cap, you still had to save up money to get good armour and items, and you also had to search for and buy skills, which takes quite a bit of time and money. I reckon Guild Wars 2 will feature some kind of grind one way or another. Well I hope you understand what I put down, because it makes perfect sense in my head :)
Silent Image
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: SilentImage
STEAM_0:0:7831462

Postby Glitch on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 am

With grinding it's like this...

First you think: "I know I gotta spend so much time, but it's all worth it because it's the most powerful thing there is, or it's the most beautiful thing there is.

Then you think: "Hmm I'm sitting here for ages behind my PC, no thing for me yet, but I think I'll just have to continue grinding because else the time I've spent was for nothing right and chances increase huh?

At the end you're like: "F*ck this, I spent way too much of my time on some stupid pixels, grinding sucks, I'd rather do something else and enjoy myself, rather then mindless staring at my screen smashing buttons."
Glitch
Home Member

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 am

Silent Image wrote:Wall of imaculate text

Preech on!

I hope there is some grind in GW2. In my opinion every MMORPG needs some grind, its one of the key aspects in an MMORPG. Too much is annoying but too little will be equally annoying. I just want a solid story to play through but I want an endgame that has dungeons and raid similar to WoW. I know that WoW is one game and GW is another but these raids/dungeons are what, in my mind, an MMORPG is about - MAx up to the level, Find a bunch of good guys and girls and set out trying to accomplish the hardest challanges in the game for great rewards. Im a GW noob here - Never played the first although my little brother has it. I might take a stroll through it sometime soon or just wait for GW2 to start me afresh.
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Postby Glitch on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Know what I'd love to see, guild halls that need to be defended, other guilds can declare war on you and when there's someone attacking your hall, you get a message that your hall is under attack else the recourses or hall gets taken over.. that would increase the pvp epicness :)

Oh ... and jumping would be nice :lol:

also... vehicles? with that I mean mostly beats which you can ride.
Glitch
Home Member

Postby Frying Dutchman on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm

They stated that there will be a Beta.
Wait let me quote it for you:

When will there be a beta?

Although we publicly beta-tested the original Guild Wars® while it was still in early development, with Guild Wars 2 we will commence beta testing closer to the game's release. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it.

- from the FAQ on the official site.

I'm planning to play this first and after that I'll see I pre-order/buy it.
Frying Dutchman
UKCS Admin

Postby 13th Nightmare on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Been reading some info about this for the past month or so, and it does seem to be shaping up to be quite good. I did play the original and quite enjoyed it, but in the end I got a bit bored with it so just left it.
This looks like it could get me back into the spirit of Guild Wars, but I think I would have to play the beta for it just to give me an idea as to if I would like to buy it or not
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Deadbolt on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:25 am

@ghost - The grind in GW1 is for the most beautiful items rather than the best items. I'd put £10 on it being the same in GW2. I was in a farming guild(and alliance) for my last few months playing and we used to just run dungeons/high end areas for crafting materials. PuG groups were (mostly)terrible. In GW1 you could only trade 100k at a time, so you had to offer 100k + the most expensive crafting material at the time......I wonder if this will change in 2.

@SilentImage - Agree with you about the instancing system in GW1. Local chat was hilarious at times.

I never really played organised PvP. I got to rank 3 and the HoH once but that was it, so I'm not too bothered about the PvP aspect. I used to love trolling in AB though. Crippling and poisoning high ranked players and then bambi-ing over there body was always a laugh. I'll be starting with a monk or ranger as those were my favourites from GW1. After I've been through with those I'll make a farming character (most likely gonna be ele or something that has a skill that makes it invincible for xx time, like the assassin did).

Also, I farmed 300 ectos in UW and gave them all away. True story. (Most of the supposedly "beautiful" skins were ugly imo :P) I hope the skins on this one are better. A lot of the "best looking" weapons looked like plastic toys :(
Deadbolt
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Silent Image on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:23 pm

I was always more of a PVP person myself, though I did do a bit of PVE. Hopefully they'll have added in more epic battle arenas and game modes. I would love to see a huge battle of 20 vs 20 or similar.
Silent Image
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: SilentImage
STEAM_0:0:7831462

Postby Deadbolt on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

By the time I was slightly interested in PvP, it was just cookie cutter builds around. Easy for anybody to use. There wasn't really a good bridge between HA and GvG. Most of the GvGers had been playing for years so I would have had a 3/4 year disadvantage. I might try it in GW2, it depends how much free time I have because of uni.
Deadbolt
UKCS Sponsor

Postby G3!ST on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

too many abbreviations in this thread for me to understand ;O
G3!ST
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Incredibru
STEAM_0:0:6011571