[PC - MOD]ARMA 2 - DayZ

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - MOD]ARMA 2 - DayZ

Postby Hollasis on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 pm

just starting this thread to see if anyone else plays the dayz mod for arma 2 because its always better with friends and if anyone wants to know more about DayZ then you can head to the official website

http://dayzmod.com

or for other information the (unofficial) wiki

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

if you havent heard of the mod check it out its fun!
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Hollasis playing BF3
STEAM_0:1:32508283

Re: arma 2 dayz mod

Postby MittinsKittens on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

I play it quite a bit actually. I don't know how many hours I've put into it, But it's been more then 50~ hours for sure.

I've already attempted to hook a couple more players into playing it on the mumble server. Most of them are waiting for the summer steam sales come along so they can try and get it cheaper before they make the leap :D

As for playing, Yeah. We should try and jump on server side and get our survival on :P
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Wizav on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm getting this right now it looks awesome :)

I don't know much about it yet though, im guessing you just try to survive as long as possible?

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Picky Bugger on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Survive as long as possible whilst hiding from zombies and other players but there is one thing you can't hide from, the awful fiddly terrible Arma 2 engine. Run run for your life.

As a side note does anyone have trouble connecting to servers? I find it just seems to stop loading 9/10 times.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Wizav on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Do you continue from the same spot with the same items each time you login? Can your character be killed while your offline etc?

Or do you just start a new game each time you connect

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby Picky Bugger on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Yes and No
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:41 am

Yes ill admit the arma 2 engine can be tempermental and more often than not you'll find zombies damaging you through walls BUT it is still in alpha even though there is only so much that the development team from dayz can do to fix the issues due to it being a third party mod but still when you manage to get in a game and find friendlies it is a fun mod.

Ill add you on steam mittens and well get a party bus goin and everyone else who said they had it or are goiing to get it (doing this on my phone so I can't see who previously commented)
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:58 am

I've started myself and trying to figure out what to do so I might join you sometime.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby Binerexis on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm waiting until Combined Ops drops in price; I'm not paying £25 for a mod game :P
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Hollasis on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 pm

i agree its a bit expensive i mean i have been playing it for years playing small zombie missions and other self made missions just wait for summer sale lol

if you need any help geldof send me a steam message and ill try and get on the same server as you and meet you
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 pm

I've been playing for a few hours and was really enjoying it. However the movement is awful, especially in buildings it's like the game doesn't want you too be able to look around; same with ladders. This is the real stumbling block for me, it's hard to enjoy when your'e fighting the game all the time.

Oh... one time I closed a garage door to defend myself from a mob of zombies and the daft gits just walked through the closed doors. I would have escaped up to the gantry above but some leaves were in the way. :(

Anyone know if you can change the FOV? I've found a way to zoom the camera out but to keep it constant I have to rest a bottle on the key and then rest that against my speaker. :geeky:
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Binerexis wrote:I'm waiting until Combined Ops drops in price; I'm not paying £25 for a mod game :P

You can pick it up for £20 on the actual website (You can then activate it on steam as you can pay for the steam verison). Means it £5 cheaper which may be enough to sway you :D
But in all seriousness. I paid £24.99 for it and found out that I could brought it for £20 about 10 seconds after I brought and paid for it... Of course at the time I felt completely dicked because I paid more for a mod that I might not even like. Now, In all honesty, I'm fucking THRILLED to of paid more because I've gotten so much play time and fun out of this game that I hope the devs got an extra £1 or two out of me :P

Picky Bugger wrote:I've been playing for a few hours and was really enjoying it. However the movement is awful, especially in buildings it's like the game doesn't want you too be able to look around; same with ladders. This is the real stumbling block for me, it's hard to enjoy when your'e fighting the game all the time.

Anyone know if you can change the FOV? I've found a way to zoom the camera out but to keep it constant I have to rest a bottle on the key and then rest that against my speaker. :geeky:

Yeah. Trying to move around buildings and not being able to turn sucks. The only real solution at the moment is to go a smaller gun and then move around with that (The bigger your gun the less space you get to turn in :)).
As for making your FoV bigger. Double tap that button you hold down with a bottle. Nearly EVERY button I've come across that you can toggle can be swapped so it stays up and pressing the button toggles it off. Like, Double tapping compass makes compass stay up, D-tapping lean makes you stay leaned, D-tapping run means you walk by default ect ect. So I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for that :D

Hollasis wrote:Yes ill admit the arma 2 engine can be tempermental and more often than not you'll find zombies damaging you through walls

God damn that is so annoying. The amount of times I've wanted to look out the window and have an zombie agro and start hitting me through the wall is pretty silly. I just refuse to stand near walls now...
Luckily that's being fixed in the next patch. Should be awesome :D

Also, for the new people that are new to this mod and want to learn more about how to install/play/manage the backpack then this has a load of links that should help you along.
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11995

Seriously though, If you're going to play this mod, you're going to need to how manage your backpack because if you're going to try and start using without knowing a single thing, it's going to be VERY confusing and you run a high risk of deleting items accidently trying to move stuff around :D
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=785
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Yay that worked, thanks. Now it's not like I'm wearing some horse blinkers.

Are you supposed to lose all items when you fall into water? I was climbing down from a crane and glitched off the side of a dock. :( Had to swim for 10 mins, may as well have respawned and avoided the hassle.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby MittinsKittens on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Picky Bugger wrote:Yay that worked, thanks. Now it's not like I'm wearing some horse blinkers.

Are you supposed to lose all items when you fall into water? I was climbing down from a crane and glitched off the side of a dock. :( Had to swim for 10 mins, may as well have respawned and avoided the hassle.

Yeah. That's the Arma 2 engine for you. You can get your items off the bottom however though. Don't really know how but I've heard it's doable :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:20 pm

What the hell is the point of doors and walls if the zombies just walk through them. :x

I don't really understand the inventory at all... I can't carry an extra clip because it doesn't fit into the same slot as a load of fire wood or a tin of beans. There is no need to limit the inventory like that.

Finally why do people make last man standing, no zombie servers? Hunting other people through 225km2 of terrain doesn't seem fun to me unless maybe your'e the one with the helicopter gunship.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby KaTTa on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I first thought you were supposed to work together with the other 49 players on the server, so I saw a another player looting a pile of cans. So I run up to him and stops behind him. I started typing and asking what he was doing when he turned around and shot me in the face... :/

I quite like the game even tho it runs like shit on my computer. All the glitches must be worst part of the game for me, I mean zombies hitting through walls and windows, zombies runing through closed door and the player glitching through a safety railing on an crane and falling to your death. :(

Haven't tried it when it's night yet but it looks awesome.
KaTTa
Home Member

Player: KaTTa
STEAM_0:0:25459580

Postby Hollasis on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:19 pm

yes katta that is the problem with dayz people are very back stabby and i agree some of the mechanics for some servers are silly i have joined servers where the zombie cap is over 1000 and its just impossible also a word of warning DON'T go prone in a petrol station kiosk i broke all my bones and lost my crossbow and all my gear after i had been playing that character for about 50 hours, wasn't happy also dont forget its still in alpha so with in the next few months it should be greatly improved in other words by i46 im hoping it will be running smoother seeing as i have seen multiplay servers popping up already.

i also prefer playing at nighttime becasue most people use flares everywhere so you can see your prey :P /friendlies
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Been having a good time today even though I didn't see one zombie in 90 minutes of play.

Because most doors don't open it seems almost pointless searching small villages even if you are in dire need of food and water. It seems better to stick to the edges of towns and look for barns.

In other news I am a murderer. :twisted: After trekking for about 60 mins I came across an old radio tower on top of a hill; desperately needing supplies I snuck in ( making sure to be walking as it creates no noise). I slowly made my way round a small building making sure to avoid the open courtyard, upon turning the corner I saw two survivors (one standing with his back to me and one prone). Not sure why but I gunned them both down, something that I wouldn't have done if they were facing me, especially since they were wielding AKs. I have to say I don't regret my deeds, they were carrying a treasure trove of gear; watch, compass, maps, everything that one could need except AK bullets. Luckily I have an enfield now and a nice hiding spot.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

nice one picky sniperstevie and myself had a good stint last night, we went and raided balota airfield i agree small towns are usually pointless unless you are in need of food and you know where the "safehouses" are. I usually steer well clear of the airfields unless there is more than two in the group otherwise what happend last night happens i was up stairs in the control tower when i heared automatic fire, from downstairs and my mate was shot as i ran downstairs i brought down sweet revenge. to find out it was a guy with starting equipment -.- and no ammo left after wasting it all in my mate and my ak managed to draw out all the zombies.

hence why airfields are dangerous

in my experience barns and deer huts have better goodies anyway if you feel cheeky use this sight to help find where all the helpful place are :P

http://teamfackin.com/moocow/dayz/map/
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Hollasis on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:57 pm

just out of interest what servers do you guys use?
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Next

Return to Gamer's Retreat