[PC - MOD]ARMA 2 - DayZ

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: arma 2 dayz mod

Postby MittinsKittens on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Did you buy the steam version? If so, have you attached it to your steam account?
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Binerexis on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I did and don't have any way to attach it to my Steam account, I can't see a key anywhere.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:50 am

Just bought my copy, steam key was on second of the 3 order e-mails. Can also be viewed through Account Maintenance on the bistudio site. Hope it gets sorted for ya binny <3

Now to wait 20 minutes while this 15 gig installs and then i'll throw the mod on it :D
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 am

Can you pm me a screenshots please?

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:32 am

of what? lol

Okay so my first foray into the mod, it's taken me half hour to work out how to turn my flashlight on, I run up a hill at walking speed, the darkness is just as bad as the pictures look but I find myself a working car. I drove around in the dark and couldn't tell the difference between water and land. I also have no idea how to get out of cars. I drowned.

Edit: Second game lasted longer, found me a shotgun with a whole 2 shots! Was enough to get me an axe but little did I know that axe was somehow mysteriously poisoned and I ended up with 1000 blood units left after picking it up. Then after taking out about 8 zombies my guy decided that this floor was awesome and fused his foot with it, then the rest of him. Then I died again. Is there no way to continue playing other than alt+f4 or find the server you were on in the awful in-game browser?

I can appreciate some bugs as the mod is still being developed but I really didn't expect it to compensate for low health with the most visually disruptive hdr pulsing i've ever seen. Is there any way to tone the blur down a bit?

Edit: So you think you're safe until a zombie decides LOLTELEPORTATION.... I don't know how many times I can run away, think I'm safe and then have a bunch of zombies stroll straight through the wall. The ridiculous limb breaking I can cope with, the one glancing blow causing massive bleeding I can just about cope with, the teleportation hoodoo I cannot cope with. Really hope that gets fixed asap.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 am

Shuriken wrote: Is there no way to continue playing other than alt+f4 or find the server you were on in the awful in-game browser?

When you died if you press disconnect on the death screen until it goes back to the initial screen you saw when you joined the server (with the player list and their pings) you can rejoin from there and start new on the same server.

Oh and really don't play on night servers till you know what your doing or you luck upon some NVG goggles.

Shuriken wrote:I can appreciate some bugs as the mod is still being developed but I really didn't expect it to compensate for low health with the most visually disruptive hdr pulsing i've ever seen. Is there any way to tone the blur down a bit?

The hud is a bit annoying but you'll get used to it and you'll know what everything means; there's a link somewhere (in this thread) to conditions you should read up on. The dev. said he wants the entire hud etc to be purely visible and audible (in the name of realism) I really hope this doesn't happen because, well it's really stupid. For example I know when I'm hungry or thirsty in reality, how would that be conveyed clearly in-game without big flashing lights or some other rubbish.

There shouldn't be any blurring if you have the resolution set right. Make sure interface and 3d resolution are the exact same and it'll be fine (3D resolution is the stupid name they gave to normal in-game resolution.)

Shuriken wrote:Edit: So you think you're safe until a zombie decides LOLTELEPORTATION.... I don't know how many times I can run away, think I'm safe and then have a bunch of zombies stroll straight through the wall. The ridiculous limb breaking I can cope with, the one glancing blow causing massive bleeding I can just about cope with, the teleportation hoodoo I cannot cope with. Really hope that gets fixed asap.

Zombies shouldn't be coming through the walls (although they can still hit through walls), best advice is to stat away from walls and take solace in the fact that this should mostly be fixed in 1.7.2 (as well as the bone breaking). Once you learn the zombies aggro range it's pretty easy to avoid detection and if you are detected run for the nearest barn or large building as zombies cannot sprint inside.

Oh and well done finding a repaired car on your first life, I've never even seen a fresh broken spawn never mind a repaired one; looks like you stole someone's hard earned work. :P

Edit: Make sure you're on the latest servers (currently 1.7.1.5) and make sure you have the ARMA 2 beta installed (there's a link from Mittens on page two if I remember correctly) and that you launch from this.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:37 am

Of your key in the email because I can't see it anywhere

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Hollasis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:48 am

yeah at the moment its really getting used to what bugs you know are there such as don't go prone on staircases sometime it will break your legs if you are being chased by zombies make them follow you down a steep hill they will run to fast and die :P and also definitely don't go in night servers until you either have thermal scope chem lights or more than two of you

i have never found a working car in game yet your so lucky well kinda :P

also be careful but picking up the axe and loosing blood never happened to me before you sure no one shot you ?

the hatchets are good but be careful when swapping form your primary gun to your hatchet ive had a dmr and changed to my hatchet only to lose my dmr for good.
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Hollasis playing BF3
STEAM_0:1:32508283

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm

lol just my luck to get a car and drive it straight into water then XD

I found a gmt server that had updated and as it was just getting light it was nice and atmospheric. Love the sneaking element so far and the satisfying shotfun to the face makes up for how attention grabbing it is lol.

The blurring I keep encountering though, sometimes it shakes when i've been hit a few times, other times the entire hdr vibrates and blurs which makes picking out the difference between a stationary rock and a monkeyzombie incredibly difficult lol. But again, I'm a glutton for punishment and I know it'll make a good game that much better when I get one.

With regards to the axe, I think It might have pushed me inside a staircase and so the collision might have been what caused the damage, there was no bleeding after though and no symbol for anything broken. I blame kan.

How do you go about switching between weapons without dropping them? Do you need a bigger backpack? I had to drop my gun to equip the axe regardless of how I tried. Also: CLUNKIEST.DEFAULT.KEYS.EVER! As nice as the good bullet physics are they really didn't spend any time cleaning up the menus lol. It's a good job I'm forgiving, I suspect I'll enjoy this a lot more once I'm not having a sneaky good time in a house that invites telepwning.

Bin - Done <3

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Aye the game really needs a new UI, the default ARMA one isn't that bad once you get used to it. But yes you have to drop your gun to change to the axe.

Blurring how? did you check your resolution as I said? The more blood you lose the more monotone it goes and pain causes the screen to shake; maybe it's that. Hmmm.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:53 pm

you may have needed painkillers if you were shaking but other than that i only had blurred vison when low on blood

and yes cars are rare well at least for me.

although i do now have an m16 and a cz 550 and a ghillie suit which im loving right now sneaky sneaky :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am

The blur is weird, definately monotone kicking in but painkillers and food do nothing for the shaking or blur. Doesn't happen every time, just most of the times I've been hit. It's like getting hit in the leg gives you concussion or something lol. Resolution definately right, I'll try turning the hdr off completely to see if that helps. Though I think that's the only thing that was letting me see the white stripes on the road at night, so damn dark!

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Hollasis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

yeah i only play on night servers when i either have a flashlight built in to my weapon but mostly only when i have chemlights

i only get blur when im below about 5000 blood then its near impossible to see
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Bombeh on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:14 pm

blurring issue, one option is turn down your headbob. in option or something along them lines.

also its probably because your low on blood or need pain killers. the lower you blood is, you loose sight, sound, and so'on.

after reading a few posts, and TLDR alot more.

i think, people should really be aware, that Dayz, is not ment to be played like left for dead or any other zombie title around, going in guns blazing in a linear game type, its a sandbox thats all about survival. food, water, supplies etc.

one thing people need to learn quickly, it dont get attachted to any weapons of gear you have. at some point, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, wether you like it or not. it maybe by zombies, other players, glitches or bugs,

remember kids, DayZ is Alpha, there is still a hell of alot to sort out.
Bombeh

Player: bombeh@fucktheworld
STEAM_0:0:23350975

Postby Hollasis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 pm

i completely agree bombeh and thats why i now stay in bushes and watch towns for long lengths at a time waiting for survivors to get the goods so i can then shoot them and steel there goods :) because its a dog eat dog world out there
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Templar+ on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Hollasis wrote:i completely agree bombeh and thats why i now stay in bushes and watch towns for long lengths at a time waiting for survivors to get the goods so i can then shoot them and steel there goods :) because its a dog eat dog world out there

Ghillie suit + Sniper Rifle = So much fun making ppl rage by picking them off and stealing there stuff XD
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby Hollasis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 pm

oh yes indeed now i have sniperstevie with me with his m24 and we are about to attempt to go to NW airfield (via all the deer huts :P)
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Had my first good game tonight. After a long trek through what must have been 2 miles of woodland I finally came across a farm. Starving and thirsty I worked my way towards it, found loads of empty cans and decided I had to risk getting past the z's to get into the big barn. In there was an enfield with no ammo, a couple of heat packs and a glass pane. Nothing useful. At this point I was getting kind of desperate, night was closing in and I had no weapon or food. Then I found an axe :D 7-8 Z dead later I carry on away from the farm, following the power cables I come across some kind of supermarket. Lo and behold, there's some food, after 10 more minutes of searching there's also drink! I'm saved! Then I spot a new backpack and something that looks kind of like a gun, each at either end of the shop front. With too much open space for my liking I swap backpacks and decide that the gun just isn't worth probably dying for. As I think this I hear a load of Z being aggro outside, "I've been rumbled" I thought and started to stand up to get the gun anyway. That was when the bandit ran in the door behind me and shot me dead.

I may have only lived an hour but it was a good hour and next time I'll be watching, waiting, expecting to get jumped. Then it's go time bandit boy, and I've got a green light ass kicking ready, just for you.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:54 pm

:P The narrative it creates is something really special. To date DayZ is the only game where I have gotten truly lost, I didn't realise that I had been running in circles until I came across the same sub station for the third time. I needs a compass.

If you have no weapons pick up a few tin cans etc (use F to select them and left mouse to throw them), it should distract the zombies enough to get past especially if you're still learning the ropes.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 pm

LOL that would have taken about 10 minutes off the time it took me to get to the farm, forewarned is forearmed lol. I think I've just about got comfy with the inventory management and aggro range now, just need to learn the tricks of the trade :D

Shuriken
Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat