[PC - MOD]ARMA 2 - DayZ

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: arma 2 dayz mod

Postby Hollasis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 pm

trick is too make sure to scope out targets from a range for a few seconds at least i try to have a real good look but there are a few little things you can do btu its really cheating tbh i mean you can disconnect in shops tehn server hop and raid shops for vast amounts of food and weapons although i twnd not to do it so much it takes teh fun awayP

we must all meet up in a server at some point three of us are usualllly playing at the same time and are always int the battlefield channel on mumble for those who have it iwe try and stay in uk servers at the moment those are uk 87 and uk 4 my ingame name is the same as my forumn name if im online on steam im mosy likely playing dayz :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Hollasis playing BF3
STEAM_0:1:32508283

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:28 am

Had a great run tonight, fixed the darkness too by turning hdr to full o.O, whatever works lol.

Found me a crossbow, one of my favourite weapons irl :D

Bolt collection was a little tricky but reusable ammo is worth it. I would have kept it too if I didn't get eaten by a soldier zombie while trying to kill him for potential goodies lol. Second run I had I found some factory, someone had placed barbed wire fencing down though, preventing me from getting to what looked like a grenade and some chemlights. I've read that a lot of people do this to be jerks, unfortunately I had found a toolkit on the same life as the crossbow. No such luck this time. Throwing a tin can to distract zeds also made me come close to blowing my speakers, it was like being hit with a flashbang right in the ear.

Odd that I enjoyed such odd behaviour but being able to see what I was doing was a massive plus for the game. Look forward to some grouping up :D It's going to get crazy lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Hollasis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 am

it is indeed i managed to break my bones last night and was no where near a hospital i had no adrenaline so i was screwed so i decided to quit out and join another server whilst doing this is seemed to fix my bones it was brilliant for me but i will be wary of other people doing it now

still trying to find more heli crash sites

have you guys looked at the percentage of loot that might spawn in certain building s if not look here

http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html

just makes me wanna go to the nw airfield :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 pm

A downed chopper was where I got killed taking out the army folk lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I find you don't really need to take them out, currently the zombies seem to walk away from buildings etc so just wait for them to disperse a bit and sneak in. The weapons tend to be towards the nose or the tail of the copter not near the passenger bit where you may think.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm

I was killing them for the chance of loot off the corpse, heard they can have some useful stuff but free bandages are never bad lol. Was doing quite well with the crossbow until one of them decided to circlestrafe me lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Hollasis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 pm

yeah i found epi pens morphine and a blood bag no guns or any type of weapons but i did hear a 50 cal nearby so leggged it

this morning i spawned in zelenagorsk with broken bones and i had to crawl all the way to cherno to get some morphine after approximately 5 or more hours i finally made it to find all i needed just goes to show that patience is definitely a virtue within dayz im now running round with an m24 and a m1014 :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm finding not knowing where I am is a real pain, broke my leg and had to kill myself as there was nothing around for miles. Had loads of grenades too :(

I think I prefer playing at night because of the lower player count, everyone seems to kill anyone they see on sight. I've let 2 people live so far, I'd like to think karma is keeping them off my back for now lol. Not that I have any trouble dying to zombies lol.

Servers are really starting to annoy me too, why aren't they updated yet?! All that have been are full or are passworded -__-

Edit: Apparently I can't play anymore, arma2 keeps crashing on me whenever I choose a server :evil:
Second Edit: Apparently I can play, if by play I mean look at "Loading" for 10 minutes...
Edit: Make that half an hour

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm

What do you mean servers aren't updated? with Dayz? or the Arma 2 beta? I haven't been on for a few days.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm

im getting on fine try uk 87 and uk 4 they seem to work for me i get the loading screen freeze sometimes but i just alt f4 then try again and it seems to work
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Binerexis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Good gods this game is hard.

I got chased for an hour by zombies that wouldn't leave me alone (never found a reliable way of doing it, I just got lucky I suppose) and then ragequit that server when I was near Elektro. Logged back in, suddenly to 3rd person, find 3 hatchets, get kicked to death by a zombie I didn't see.

I think I enjoyed myself but I'm not brilliantly happy and I don't see how I'm supposed to loot with zombies around when I have no weapons.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Picky Bugger on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Binerexis wrote:
I think I enjoyed myself but I'm not brilliantly happy and I don't see how I'm supposed to loot with zombies around when I have no weapons.

You aren't that's the survival bit of the game...
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Very carefully bin XD

Chasing is a bit odd, they don't like buildings, even small ones. Once you get them inside you can run out, preferably through a second doorway/window and then crouch in the shadows nearby. As for looting, you're pretty safe as long as you don't run and keep about 15-20 feet between you and the z's. The first few games I had I was getting jumped by zombies, now it seems to be primarily people that want me dead lol. If you can, get an axe and then find a ledge/staircase that you can hit zombies from, you might take a little damage but they can't sprint up them to you, so you get in a good swing or two usually, which is typically enough to down them.

I just had a great life, enfield with loads of bullets, makarov with loads of bullets, couple of drinks, a little food. I was just heading out of cherno when I got ambushed by 2 bandits. Hopefully they bled out too lol.

RE: Update, it's the arma 2 beta update, most servers are still running the previous version. I finally managed to get on uk 21, seems some servers take a lot longer to load than others too. It doesn't even let me alt+f4 out, have to task manager and halt the exe.

Having just seen how well 2 people can work together I'm guessing people are either primarily playing with friends or clans. Also the amount of barbed wire fence griefing on the uk servers is ridiculous, it's a wonder how people don't end up trapping themselves. Think I'm about ready to try this with people, let's all be bastards together :D

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Binerexis on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 am

Picky Bugger wrote:
Binerexis wrote:

I get that it's a survival game but the initial 'quest' to find essential supplies like food seems to be crazily high risk for tiny or no reward. On the rare occasion I was able to work my was passed some zombies to a building I could actually enter, I had the joy of finding empty cans. This happened for every building I entered. By the time I started to die of thirst, I just got bored and tried to see how many zombies I could get to chase me at once (eight) and then took bets against myself as to whether I would get bored first or die.

I know it's a survival game. I know that surviving isn't an easy task. I know that no one goes out to survive with a backpack, some bandages, painkillers, a torch and nothing else. Even in the most dire zombie situation, you're going to grab something you can use as a weapon before braving the horde.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Shuriken on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:24 am

I think that's my only gripe with the mod. I can understand the removal of starting guns, not everyone owns a gun, but at the very least the guy could have given us a stick to hit things with. That said, the melee weapons were only just added, we've likely just jumped in at the awkward part between change and balance methinks. Such are the perils of alpha development.

That said, each game I've had seems to either boon me with weapons or food/drink. Never both at once, i've usually been on red thirst/hunger before finding my first can of pepsi. That may be to do with playing in the day primarily though, more people = more looted places.

If you have the will though you should try and push past the frustration barrier, going from what you've said I'd bet that you'll feel different about the whole experience after a good run. But when all's said and done I'm a gaming masochist when it comes to things like this so feel free to ignore me lol.

Edit: Had an epic game on a quiet server, got me 2 guns, loads of food, a new backpack, medical supplies, map, compass, matches. Missing a knife, I went looking for one. 10000 blood lost later I ran away to the hills. If anyone fancies meeting me at the generator battery northwest of cherno with something to eat and uses one of my blood bags on me I'll love you forever and give you some drinks/bandages <3 If only I had found the knife, i'd have killed the damn wildlife and eaten them. Stupid tasty bacon still walking not being cooked.

Edit part 2: Just remembered I found an extra gun in the church in cherno too, remington shotty for anyone who saves my ass :D

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Binerexis wrote:
Picky Bugger wrote:
Binerexis wrote:

I get that it's a survival game but the initial 'quest' to find essential supplies like food seems to be crazily high risk for tiny or no reward. On the rare occasion I was able to work my was passed some zombies to a building I could actually enter, I had the joy of finding empty cans. This happened for every building I entered. By the time I started to die of thirst, I just got bored and tried to see how many zombies I could get to chase me at once (eight) and then took bets against myself as to whether I would get bored first or die.

I know it's a survival game. I know that surviving isn't an easy task. I know that no one goes out to survive with a backpack, some bandages, painkillers, a torch and nothing else. Even in the most dire zombie situation, you're going to grab something you can use as a weapon before braving the horde.

Once you get used to it and learn the ropes it works pretty well, yes it's hard for new starters but once you get past that it's fine. As someone who played with and without starter guns it's a lot better now although a can of pop wouldn't go amiss at the start. Maybe a small melee weapon would be decent or fists (apparently being added) but remember it's only an early alpha and all this is trial and error.

Edit: Don't diss empty cans they are a fresh spawns best friend, they make it much easier to avoid enemies; although the throw distance is rather OP.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Picky Bugger on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Is it possible to favourite servers or do you just have to remember the name?
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm

If you use the launcher you can put a star next to them and they appear at the top of the list next time, not sure about in-game

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Hmm okay, I don't think I'll start using the launcher.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby windowmaker on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 pm

I've been keeping an eye on this and thinking of joining in for a while now, but Birgirpall has made my mind up. Its downloading now :D

windowmaker
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: WindowMaker
STEAM_0:1:6784095

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat