[PC - MOD]ARMA 2 - DayZ

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: arma 2 dayz mod

Postby Picky Bugger on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:02 pm

I was using the updater but stopped because it's horribly slow, I just download the torrent now.

The bug caused me to waste nearly 2 clips of AK ammo because I just randomly started firing. :x

Teaming up would be good but I don't have a mic.

Edit: What's with all the packs lying around that you can't interact with?

Having played without a starting pistol I have to say I do like it, it adds a new goal to the start although I imagine it gets very annoying if you keep dying. A can of pop wouldn't go amiss.

The zombies seem to see me far too easily now, through buildings etc when I'm crawling.
Last edited by Picky Bugger on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Picky Bugger on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 pm

idiot
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 pm

i agree i like not sarting with a gun but i think maybe one more bandage and at least a water bottle, seeing as that would be something that would be easy to find and one of the most important things. If you get bored of not starting just go on a server not running current patch and you will start with all the old starting eqipment, but still have most of the updates that came with your player patch. :P
yh having a mic would be helpful but not a neccesity if you can get on mumble then if you can at least hear us ,then you can make movements in game to say wether u understand. ive teamed up with players in game and had no way to contact them except for the odd question in side / global chat (never use in game voice chat at one point for some reason was slowing down lots of servers might be fixed now but not sure) and most of those turned out helpful or at least mean ti got their kit :).

as soon as i get home definatley gonna try and get that quadbike up and running :P

i havent had any trouble with the six updater as of yet i dont like its set up but am just to lazy to sort out doing it my self :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Hollasis playing BF3
STEAM_0:1:32508283

Postby Picky Bugger on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Does direct chat not work? it doesn't seem so.

I nearly died of thirst because you start with no gear, took me almost an hour to find a can of coke. Would be nice if you could drink from pumps or lakes without a canteen (although really drinking from a stagnant pond should give you dysentery.)

I found a NV sniper rifle at a helicopter crash but died shortly afterwards because I was desperate for food which caused me to end up being food. :( I should have kept my enfield because the damn scope kept blinding me. Again I took about 50 of the bastards with me although really it should be hard to pull 50 zombies however it doesn't appear to be so.

I'm loving the axe / melee, it's great if only one or two zombies see you. But I do hope they fix zombies seeing you through walls and I do want them to tone down zombie reactions to sound. Currently crouched running brings then swarming even from inside buildings etc. At least you can lose the zombies now, it doesn't always work but I've had a few narrow escapes.

Edit: Ha I've been running in circles for the past 30 mins. :ill:
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Picky Bugger on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Spent 30 mins swimming over to an island to have a look around only to break my legs on the wooden dock staircase. :ill:
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:17 pm

i find the ultimate bean finder helps me because as soon as i start a new character i see where i spawn then see where the closest barn or deer hut is

i dont like swimming im still scared ill loose all my kit lol

the enfield is good but loud and draws attention form all over but you find the ammo everywhere
still loving the m1911 and the crossbow when retrieving the bolts actually works

the chat has been scred around i used to use side chat but now i think only global and vehicle are available but im not sure
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby The Ninja Pirate on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 am

Been playing this for awhile now and I absolutely love it!

Btw, how do you use melee weapons? Also give me a shout if you wanna join up in some server!
The Best ninja (and pirate) in East Finland.
The Ninja Pirate
Home Member

Postby Picky Bugger on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 am

So far you can only use the axe and the crowbar (although the crowbar is sort of pointless and much rarer imo). For the axe it'll likely be on your tool belt, if you right click it and chose "remove from tool bar" it'll move into your rifle slot. Just select it like a normal rifle BUT remember you MUST RELOAD IT the first time you use it. Oh and the melee range is much further than you expect it to be.

The melee seems very effective against one or two zombies and it's pretty good inside buildings because the zombies can't sprint indoors.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Hollasis on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:37 pm

i didnt realise how many people actually played dayz on ukcs :)

yeah i have to say at the moment hatchet is definately my most used weapon its more like a really short range shotgun
yeah its the same with your flashlight when they arent in your hand they will be in your toolbelt where your compass or map is

definately have to get us all on a server soon

ill be playing it at i46 anyway so that will be fun see if i can do a 24 hour real life stint :P
origin - hollasis
PSN - Roket---penciL
Xbox - RoCkEt PeNcIL
steam - Hollasis

Hollasis
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 pm

I had an awful time earlier; I moved into a small town to a supermarket hoping to find some matches and my leg got broken. I kept logging into different servers to see if some morphine spawned, after about 10 attempts and no morhpine (although I did eat about 20 tins of food) I set off on my 12km :o crawling treck to the nearest hospital. Sadly I got killed by a group of wall hacking zombies within sight of the hospital. :(
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:24 am

Was debating grabbing this earlier so as a last check I decided to scour the forums to see if there's anything about the game that I may or may not like. Then I found the "OMG DARKNESS UNPLAYABLE" thread, thinking to myself that it'd just be whiners complaining about realism. Then I saw the screenshots of bright skies with completely black everything else. Is it really that broken?

I see some people have worked around it somehow by "adjusting the date" or searching for "GMT+" in the server options, I've no idea what either of those would achieve.

I know it's the ARMA patch that has screwed with the night time settings so it'll probably be a while before the new dayZ lighting system is sufficiently tested, as such I might opt to start playing D3 before grabbing this instead. I really want to enjoy this game but if I get it now and get pissed at just the lighting I'll probably break face.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dealman/sc ... 389943185/?

Please tell me it's not really like that
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:46 am

Shuriken wrote:Was debating grabbing this earlier so as a last check I decided to scour the forums to see if there's anything about the game that I may or may not like. Then I found the "OMG DARKNESS UNPLAYABLE" thread, thinking to myself that it'd just be whiners complaining about realism. Then I saw the screenshots of bright skies with completely black everything else. Is it really that broken?

I see some people have worked around it somehow by "adjusting the date" or searching for "GMT+" in the server options, I've no idea what either of those would achieve.

I know it's the ARMA patch that has screwed with the night time settings so it'll probably be a while before the new dayZ lighting system is sufficiently tested, as such I might opt to start playing D3 before grabbing this instead. I really want to enjoy this game but if I get it now and get pissed at just the lighting I'll probably break face.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dealman/sc ... 389943185/?

Please tell me it's not really like that

It's not broken at all, that's how night is in reality when there are no lights around; it really is just people whinging. It's also not unplayable in anyway, you start with a torch and can get flares or chemlights from almost everywhere; it just requires a different slower style of play. If you don't want to play at night you can, as you said just play on a server that is -ve GMT as the day / night cycle is 24 hours. I often do this, just check the server listings for -GMT or -UTC..

Once you get used to the ARMA engine it is pretty damn good and don't let people turn you off it because of little things like the night or the pvp; it is still an alpha. It's supposed to be hard and many people can't really seem to accept it. Although I will say the zombies are a little broken atm, hopefully they will be patched soon. If you have the spare cash I'd say get it straight away, it's a damn sight better than Diablo 3 I'll tell you that (80 hours played in D3 :P ).
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:28 am

*laughs* That is not as bad as it can get. The sky is completely free of clouds. Insert more clouds and you can't even see the night sky :D!
In all seriousness though. There is enough man made light sources that help get around this. For god sake, you even start with a flash light now but you can also get flares and chemlights (Chemlights are awesome because they only light up if your 30m (Blue), 60m(Green), 90m(Red). Great for sneaking around with) from the chemlight and the flares show up a radius around it regardless of range. You can also carry them although if a bit risky since you're basically asking to be shot :D
That's before ignoring the fact there can be a full moon which by large CAN remove the need for these man made light sources if the moon is full enough and the sky is clear enough :3

If you're being serious about wanting to get into this mod though. I seriously suggest you avoid the night until you feel happy you can walk/run around a city, deal with zombies, people and the inventory system. This is easily done though. The mod (and MAYBE the actual game) works on real time. So, just log onto a server that should be daytime using timezones. This is why GMT+/- servers are relevant :D

All in all, If I was given the choice between THIS and D3. I would go DayZ, Mainly because D3 doesn't interest me in anyway, but by the sounds of it and from what people/the internet have told me, DayZ sounds SO much more deeper and will give a MUCH richer experience :D
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:13 am

Im going to get the ARMA:CO pack this weekend and get the mod. I know this is a Dayz thread but what is the actual ARMA game like? Just as another game to play.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 am

I've been interesting in that too. I might have a go at it some time to be honest but I just keep firing up the mod xD
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:19 pm

lol that's not what real life looks like with no light sources, trust me I've done field training XD. I know the game will be brutal in terms of the gameplay style's learning curve so I shouldn't really start off at night but I'm a glutton for punishment lol. Chances are the harder a game is the more I'll play it, love dat challenge. Have decided to probably hold off on this for a week though, I'm curious to see the new lighting system, as well as if people that are whining about it get used to it lol. I think my only gripe with it being so pitch black is the running with the flashlight. I've never met anyone, being chased by a zombie or otherwise, who waves their torch around like a madman every step they take. Does this stop if you're crouch-walking or prone-crawling?

It really does look like awesome fun, especially with an ally or two. Can't wait to enfield some face and/or kneecaps lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Honestly. It's nothing. It's just people whining because they need to think and play smart for once. Some people simply want to makes this a l4d clone. Hell, some people are actively campaigning to get pvp removed which is one of the greatest parts of the mod in my opinion.
So yeah, I reckon you've made a bad judgment call buying d3 instead of this but meh, not like that will be the only game you buy this year :3
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Shuriken on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Lol yeah I've been laughing at that since last night. To me the game is more like stalker than l4d and even stalker is more gung-ho when it comes to combat. Removing pvp would be the same as ... actually I can't think of anything equally as daft.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:33 pm

I understand in some way WHY they want to do something about the constant banditness of this game. It's sometimes a little silly where every engagement I've gotten into lately has turnt into a "Who can shoot first and who can shoot the best".
HOWEVER, removing PvP isn't not the way to do it. The way to do it is to try and encourage and make ways for co-oping in this game outside of your normal social circles a lot more viable. Luckily, Rocket has acknowledged this and is finding ways to try and do so. Hell, there was even talks of him JUST working on this for a bit to try and come up with something that works :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Are bandits AI controlled or user controlled?
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat