[PC/XBOX/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [PC/XBOX/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Postby Wizav on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 am

Nah not yet but ive only lost three countries and the rest are on panic level 1 with satellite coverage. You should only really use rookies and lower levels for alien abduction sites. UFO sites, Terror Missions , Council missions are always the hardest at least in terms of cover and being flanked by elites and harder mobs. With the quick recovery and don't die on me perks from the officer school you should always have a full squad of colonels for hard missions, they recovery in like 4 days.

Just play defensive and don't uncover large areas of the map with troops it gives enemy free position and lets them flank/cover. you can scout with snipers battle scanners (doesn't alert enemies, amazing skill) and if there's a group of elites ahead you can properly position heavy to get off the perfect rocket shot or snipe them all while there out of cover. Then move to the next pack, you should never lose a soldier and at most only have 1-2 wounded.

A great tip is saving main quest missions til the end of the month as they reduce global panic and afaik countries only leave once the council report comes in so you can keep them on full panic for quite awhile. satellites help with that too, basically use all your -panic at the end of the month. If you waste it at the start most countries will be full panic again by the end of the month and there's not much you can do about it.

Flare,

Cover only works from certain angels, on Classic enemies flank and move a lot. the +defence cover offers does not reduce damage taken, +defence is simply +miss for the enemy and enemies on classic and higher get +aim bonuses so full cover on classic is much weaker than on normal/easy. It's -20 and -40 chance to dodge for light/full cover but its more like -10/-30 on classic and that's still 50-70% chance to hit for most enemies.

If an enemy moves to the side and shoots you from behind cover, the cover bonuses doesn't even apply. You have to remain in positions where enemies are directly in front of your cover for it to work to full effect afaik.

If an enemy flanks one of your soldiers, suppress it with a support/heavy , kill it or move your soldier. Unless it's an assault as they receive +defence for each enemy spotted and actually benefit being closer to enemies. You soldiers will usually shout out that there being flanked in game which basically means there screwed on the next turn.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby S.O.Sniper on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 pm

I noticed that about the main quest missions (or atleast the the first base attack) in that it greatly reduces panic, in my save though I put that mission off for too long and lost 4 countries without any obvious chance to prevent it. Satelite coverage is super important but takes time, I imagine on Impossible especially you'd have to do that mission pretty early to manage Panic levels properly.

Lesson learnt about squadies though. I got cocky and thought I could risk it but it seems the landed (rather than crashed) Barges are stacked full of tough aliens, and are dicey to move about in which I wasn't expecting. I'm always slow and methodical, very rarely dashing, single moving and doubling-back rather than taking shots if I'm too close to enemies. But that mission I just barely got through it without losing any of my best guys.

Does anyone rate the Psi Armour? I'm not sold on it based on it's description (big fan of the Ghost Armour), but I'm not sure how big a boost it is to Psi abilities since I've only got the 1 Psi ability unlocked so far on my guys.
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Flare on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Wizav , if the aliens had moved to flanking positions I wouldnt call that cheese, I would be kicking my own arse for not covering my flanks... the rookie I mentioned dying to near impossible shots by 2 aliens from a far range while she was under full cover was from the front... no yellow shield, I think her chance of hitting any of them was about 5% (cant recall offhand but low enough to make it not worth it, just went to overwatch) and neither of the sectoids moved they both took a shot and both hit her killing her in that round.
I had the rookies there and in overwatch because I figured there was no way the sectoids would be able to kill at that range while the rookies were in full cover, and especially not kill the one with a vest on... so when they did exactly that it was a huge suprise and I cant work out what I did wrong.
Should I always pull back if anyone of my guys sees a alien, and hope the overwatch nails them in the aliens turn ?
It seems the aliens can kill anyone that can see them no matter what cover is being used or how far the target is.

The point is I felt I played that move properly and didnt make a fault, but still got a loss anyways... I can accept losing due to mistakes or poor planning, but when I use the tools given by the game properly and still lose... thats what I call cheese, and it didnt just happen once it happens a lot.
Its not preventing me from playing the game but it is a blemish, a fault and hence why I mentioned the cheese... you would have to be either naive or extremely forgiving to not accept this game has a lot of cheese.
The cheese can be overcome once you get to 5 - 6 man size squads because you can afford to feed a rookie or 2 to the cheese and still continue but early game its a nasty setback, especially if it takes out ranked troops...or causes a wipe.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Wizav on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm

This why snipers with in the zone are overpowered. On first turn use archangel armor to fly into the air and end the turn.

Turn two have your second sniper throw out a scanner.

On the same turn use the flying sniper to one shot everything that shows up on the map, once there all dead you can even use overwatch in the same turn.

On the third turn you move grounded sniper forward and throw a second scanner, rinse and repeat until all 4 scanners are used and map is clear of mobs.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby S.O.Sniper on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I knew about Snipers with Squad Sight, Battle Scanners & Archangel Armor being pretty OP from before the game was released, "In the Zone" though sounds like one of the first skills that'll get nerfed.
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Wizav on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 pm

End boss was really disappointing, two shot's with sniper and it dies along with all it's friends, battle lasted about 5 seconds what the hell :(

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Templar+ on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am

What difficulty are you on Wiz?
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby Wizav on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Classic

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Templar+ on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm

With Ironman on?
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Templar+ on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm

I couldn't get passed the first month with Ironman on Classic but with it off i'm not struggling at all.

It seems the battles are easier with it turned off? Unless i just had bad luck for the first 10 or so hours of playing the game.
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Wizav on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Just normal classic, going to try ironman next :)

The best way to survive is never move troops into yellow squares and if you can't shoot after moving hunker down, it doubles the defence of cover and if you throw a smoke nade you get 100% immunity for the turn, without it you get like 80% chance to dodge and crit immunity. Assaults with the defence talent can get immunity without the nades if they can see more than 1 enemy.

That's my plan for ironman, just keep assaults at the front constantly in hunker down avoiding hits, use a heavy to suppress/rocket flankers while snipers and support clean up.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 am

Frankly, plans of how to do anything at any particular time are slightly less than worthless.

Play reactively to what you're up against. You'll find you do objectively better.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby Wizav on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Cap'n Neuro wrote:Frankly, plans of how to do anything at any particular time are slightly less than worthless.

Play reactively to what you're up against. You'll find you do objectively better.

Not true, every single AI attack in the game can miss apart from poison spit and grenades are never used on single targets. You can definitely plan for that.

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Postby S.O.Sniper on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Got a 9-12 Chrysalid Terror mission very early in a new Classic campaign yesterday. Didn't help the map was pretty small and very narrow.

They essential hatched new Chrysalids faster than I could kill them. This was my final turn (right out of a horror movie :lol:).

Might have helped if I had more experienced Snipers or more Heavies, or even better armor, but it felt like at the time there really was nothing I could do but watch my squad become overrun.
Last edited by S.O.Sniper on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Shuriken on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Lol that's an infestation. Sod armour though, you needed napalm!
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Templar+ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Proper suicide mission!

Also i love the little nicknames the troops recieve :)
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Enigma on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 am

Try to rename your soldiers to Sid Meier, Ken Levine, Joe Kelly and Otto Zander
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Templar+ on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Anyone tried multiplayer yet? and what setup has worked for you?

I like to play with 3 Thin Men and a Commando with Alloy Cannon and Carapace armour :)
Templar+
Old Timer

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:04 am

Well, telling would be spoiling half of the fun. ;)

Let's just say that 60% of the time, my setup works all the time.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Previous

Return to Gamer's Retreat