[PC - F2P MMO] Tera Online

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - F2P MMO] Tera Online

Postby Dauntless on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 pm

The price and sub on this game is/was steep, not because of the content but mainly because it was greater than all other mmo's in price.

Now however it is going free to play in February.

I would recommend those that havent played it give it ago. There are some restrictions but not as game destroying as some f2p mmo's. Even less if you have previously owned a copy of the game. [They will introduce a cash shop but its cosmetics mostly as far as i am aware]

The graphics and settings are great, the story isnt bad if you actually take time to read the quests. They pride their selves on their PvP and Political systems, neither of which I took the time to try out tbh so cannot comment (I'm not one for pvp on any mmo). The political system is basically guilds getting enough votes to take over certain areas of the world and controlling costs/taxes/vendors etc in that region. Checkout the site, nothing I say here can explain it properly.

The 2 things that stood out for me were firstly the combat, action combat, dodge, parry, healing etc it's all done live action, none of this tab and button smash. You have to activly move out of the way of everything and be aware of your surroundings. Secondly, the character models and landscapes are pretty impressive. You don't need a high end card to appreciate them either, although it helps :P

*health warning* This is a Korean born title so expect heavy grinding. (This is the one major flaw to the game imo)

http://tera-europe.com/trial.html?kid=a-60907-02207-1207-b35071e4
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Re: [PC - F2P MMO] Tera Online

Postby Binerexis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 am

Played beta, called it would go f2p, downloading immediately.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Shuriken on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 am

I hadn't heard of this until yesterday and now over a dozen people have mentioned it lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Synaphix on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm

This game at the moment is a quick play for a few months until something else, if you want more content and a longer game to get stuck into then Rift tops it but this had far better graphics if that is your thing. I do enjoy the game and I do prefer Rift but for a F2P with limitations it is a good game to give a try.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin team? Apply here or inbox me if you are a current UKCS Admin.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Postby Nish on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm very tempted to try this out! :)
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby Dauntless on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 pm

F2P goes live Tuesday 5th Feb.

I would suggest downloading prior to that if your going to give this game a spin :)
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Nish on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Yeah, I've been downloading it for the most of the day.

Does F2P have levelling limitations? I read somewhere that it's only up to level 20... That might have been to Trial accounts though.
Image Image
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Synaphix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 am

Most games that go F2P limit character slots etc until you upgrade a one time fee or buy it in a store. Not sure about this.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin team? Apply here or inbox me if you are a current UKCS Admin.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

Player: Synaphix
STEAM_0:1:36281577

Postby Aceo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Linkage

Seems to be mainly character slot limitation and dungeon timer refreshes as the main limitations. Some bonuses to paying a subscription but the difference between F2P and bought the game seem fairly minimal unless you like to have many characters.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Nish on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

That character slot lock is really ballsy, it should be atleast upped to four.
Image Image
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Dauntless on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Most f2p games minimum account level is 2 characters. Its the only real major difference which for a f2p game isnt that bad, take a look at SWTOR, that limits characters, experience gained and almost every non major story part of the game.

The dungeon timer will only hinder later in the game imo, at which point you will either be addicted enough to sub or you will have moved on or not spend enough time for it to matter.

Im semi-lucky to already own the game so I will have 8 slots. It really is a weird one this game, i go through stages of enjoying it for a month or so then dropping out for awhile then going back to it. Similar to the way i treat most mmo's lol.

One tip, get an active guild & get social, the sooner the better, it makes the grind a lot less tedious and with any mmo, the more friends you have the better the game becomes imo.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Flare on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Trying it out for a laugh, got a tiny little Elin female mystic on that NEW english PvE server (EU)...

Prologue was as confusing as hell but now I am on the training island getting to grips with the systems, its not bad and runs well enough on my rig at the moment.
Dont like the controller ghost image stuck on my UI even though I am using a Mouse and Keyboard setup, and dont have a 360 pad... I cant seem to get rid of it, why not.
Chat is full of the usual WoW beats this, no it doesnt yes it does arguments, with some GW 2 rules comments.... go play those games if you prefer them ffs.

... all in all its not too bad, will be messing about with it again since the price is fair, not sure if I'll get into it hardcore but it is early days... lets see how it fares when the new shiny coat gets some scratches and dents hehehe.

Impression so far : Downloads a bit big but if you dont mind downloading a large game its at least worth a look. Looks a lot like Aion and a tiny bit like Rose Online (least the Elin race does).
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Aceo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I'll be trying it out, played Aion a lot so I can deal with grind. Just this download is going to take a really long time due to my lovely internet speed.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Dauntless on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

the controller can be removed from your screen, cant remember how though, either press alt then see if there is an x to close it or i assume it will be in the options.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Nish on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am

I've been trying an Elin Sorcerer and gotten all the way up to the second continent and have not touched the game since.

As of now, it's actually a pretty good game! I'm gonna see how the second continent is for leveling and etc... And if I dislike it, I'll have to start a Warrior DPS.
Image Image
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Dauntless on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 am

I just came across the most annoying thing ever, a cooldown on guild applications....

There was one perosn harrassing everyone in guild chat, so we asked the GM to do something about it (bad enough you have to ask a gm to do that...) to which he said the whole conversation was over and anyone else talking about it would be kicked. The player carried on harrassing everyone. He didn't get kicked. Funny enough those complainging to the GM about the harrassment got kicked... Now i'm left with a level 5 character which either takes 7 days to delete the character or 7 days before i can join another guild...

Apart from that it's nice to see so many active friendly people around :)
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Flare on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I found out how to remove that gamepad image from the UI :

type /controller and uncheck show controller in ui

It isnt in the options or anywhere, you need to type in that command, pretty silly if you ask me... more annoying is that the controller options only show up if you select the gamepad as your controller, which lets you turn the image off, but if you select mouse and keyboard it shows the gamepad image but doesnt give you the option to hide it unless you type /controller.
Seriously wtf logic is that ?

I am still in the training island, got to level 11 and finding out nice things about the ui all the time, like the way it highlights needed mobs on the radar if you click the highlighted mob name in the quest description.
Some things are pretty clunky, like needing to alt then right click to use the extra quickslots which I got on the side. The combo system is also a bit off as occasionally it is slow to bring up the spacebar to combo option and you end up hopping in the air in front of an enemy and get slapped.

... still as a free to play title it has its charms, and time can suddenly vanish... like hey I'll play a quick hour of Tera at 7pm ... and suddenly why is it 11pm :P

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Silent Image on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:01 am

I have returned from lurking to post here. I've been playing Tera for a while even before f2p and its definitely worth a try at least, its f2p after all. The f2p restrictions aren't too bad, and apart from some changes which do affect end game item acquisition quite harshly, the overall game is exactly as it was before f2p. Combat is good, quests pretty much generic mmo fare.
Silent Image
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: SilentImage
STEAM_0:0:7831462

Postby Nish on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Aight, I guess we can start the "What's your name and server" replies to this topic now.

I play on the Arcadia server.

Nish - Warrior
Nishino - Sorcerer
Image Image
Nish
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Dont think enough play to make a group of UKCS players... most of those are on GW2 , or EvE.

I am on PvE - [EN] Veritas - Mystic - Ayne (female Elin) (currently level 16)

My interest is slowing dropping, its a bit ... slow at the moment, same combat spells each battle with barely any variation... I even mess around with sub optimal rotations just to change the pace a bit.
Monster variety is also dropping, and just the name changes of many monsters (instead of a steelbeak, I have a moderately pissed off steelbeak, and then to up the challenge, I get a seriously ticked off steelbeak)... visually you cant see the difference.

BUT... I do tend to try clean up the whole area before moving on so much of the sameness is due to me lingering too long in an area, new area may bring new things so I'll stick with it ... at least till level 20.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Next

Return to Gamer's Retreat