Postby Dauntless on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

Yeah thanks Flare, got myself one too!
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Re: [PC - RTS] Company of Heroes 2

Postby Seven. on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am

This game is pretty cool. It has the shitty net-code that Dawn of War 2 has as well, you know; one person lags or delayed, EVERYONE FREEZE.

Other than that it's a solid game. I can't play rts because I can't think ahead or react fast enough but it's really fun when I'm not against a super pro player that steam-rolls me :lol: .
Seven.
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colonel Seven.
STEAM_0:1:3465036

Postby I Blame my Mother on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:47 am

I'd be up for a casual game sometime. I'm not great at it either but I enjoy playing. Wouldn't mind someone to comp-stomp with or play a friendly pvp game with
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Player: I Blame My Mother
STEAM_0:0:5643272

Location: At the late night science fiction double feature picture show.

Postby Flare on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I cant seem to get anywhere in this game... the AI just seems to roflstomp with no issues, gets me into a right mess trying to deal with 200039458899304 things at the same time...

Why are capturing that point your engineers are dying... leave the engineers there is a enemy stealing another point... forget the point there is a mortar team killing your troops... nevermind the mortars they are stealing another point... why are you not dealing with the invasion to the east , and north, and south...and west , oh by the way you lost that mortar team you hid in the forest (fuck knows how the AI found it so easily) , that MG team of yours is kinda dead despite putting them in a house for protection because the AI loves its mortars...

... etc etc etc.

Oh and before you advise me to try a easier AI level, this is on the EASIEST POSSIBLE AI in the game at the moment.
Longest I lasted was 8-9 minutes before rage quitting in disgust.
I cant seem to learn anything because all the AI does is rush rush rush rush, and all I can do is try deal with explosion of events ... its like what does this upgrade do ? Fucked if I know but it looks good buy it... whaddoyameanIcantuseithere ?!?! Rage!

I would put it on par with trying to learn LoL as a level 1 summoner finding themselves in a LCS match trying to 1 v 5 , or as a noob SC 2 player tossed into a Plat match up with... I dunno , Flash ?
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby I Blame my Mother on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 pm

In my first few games against the AI, I made heavy use of the pause key. Just to give myself the time to see what was going on. Right now I'm afraid the only way to go seems to be bringing your own mortars to the party, having squads roaming out to find and kill the enemy mortars and rushing to light armour as fast as possible.
I miss the infantry game, so much.
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Postby Dauntless on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I have only put 30mins-1hr into the beta for that exact reason flare, I usually go for normal to hard levels of AI in strategy games but on easy in this game I just get a high five. In the face. With a chair...

Love the way it looks, can't try anything else until the AI is sorted. (Not a pvp fan btw)
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby I Blame my Mother on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:29 pm

My offer still stands, if we want to team up and see if we fare any better with a bit of co-ordination
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Postby Flare on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Game is a lot of bullshit at this stage, the AI is fucking relentless, suicidal and crazy at the easiest possible level.

I couldnt even hold onto a single point...

I tried hotkeying units, pausing the game at each encounter to have time to consider my tactics... nothing helped.

Tactics dont work because the AI doesnt care, it merely selects everything it has and tells all that stuff to attack a single target... things like ignore the 4 grenadiers, ignore the fact if the MG crew it leaves a valuable unit for the enemy to salvage, it even rushes in AT guns right past everyone and park right in your base shooting the HQ.
The only AI units that dont rush are its mortar teams, those are sitting at the back firing until your stuff is out of range, then it moves up and bombards again and again and again...none fucking stop... this on top of the relentless zerging your HQ makes cover and strategic placement useless.
Put up a MG bunker in the road ? Mortar bombarded to pieces, hunt down the mortar team, another is in place before the hunters can get back, meantime the bunker is destroyed by the sheer amount of zerged in units the AI has rammed down the MG's barrel.
You get ridiculous stats like killed 60 enemy units while only losing 20 yourself... but lost due to the sheer numbers rammed into your HQ.

The AI in this game is an exercise in sheer frustration.

*whee* I am exhausted from 8 mins of trying to learn to play this game.

EDIT : I cheated and got revenge on the retarded AI... basically I set up handicap match and added a expert AI as a ally , vs a single enemy AI set on easy... kicked its arse easily, which let me actually see what the hell battle phase 2 means... plus the expert AI is 6 times more relentless and more worried about losing units... easy AI had nothing outside its base.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Well the thing is. You can't really can't complain about the CPU being broken/retarded/<insert other states here> because at the end of the day it's currently in a Beta STRESS test. Where the aim of the game is to see how the servers hold up to people actually using and for them to balance the mulitplayer side of the game. :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby RubbeR on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 pm

FYI, this beta will end april 30th
I am RubbeR, You are Glue
RubbeR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ImRubbeRyourGlue
STEAM_0:0:760883

Postby Flare on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm

The issue is that there is no way to learn to play the game except via skirmishes, versus the AI or human opponents... learn on the fly, no tutorials (except some vids in game that explain cover and snow).
A clever (and considerate) player will at least pick up the basics of the game before engaging against other human opponents... its no fun for either side if one player is still struggling with the camera controls and UI, unless you are the type that actually enjoys stomping complete noobs.

Its irrelevant anyway, I just put on some training wheels in the form of a Ally AI to keep the murderous enemy AI at bay while I get to grips with the title, my aim is not to defeat my foe but to learn how to actually fight my foe first.
I figure when I am comfortable with building , capturing and micro'ing units I'll even the odds up and take off the training wheels.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby MittinsKittens on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm

RubbeR wrote:FYI, this beta will end april 30th

Do you know if there is going to be any more before it goes on sale?

As for you Flare. Well, As I said before, It IS a beta so you can't really expect much hand holding which you probably know anyway.
HOWEVER, there is teaching material out there seeing as most of the basics transfers from CoH1, so if you can't find anything to do with CoH2, just look it up where it's talking about vCoH and it will probably most likely transfer over.
The only things I can think off that don't transfer over is, You can leap over walls in CoH2 (which makes flanking easier in a way), Wire/Sandbags not being such a big deal and Anti-Personal mines not being a single mine placement but being an minefield (which in turn, has made mines more expensive).

So yeah :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby RubbeR on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 am

MittinsKittens wrote:
RubbeR wrote:FYI, this beta will end april 30th

Do you know if there is going to be any more before it goes on sale?

according to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_pF9DqPXE there should be an open beta be4 release.
I am RubbeR, You are Glue
RubbeR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ImRubbeRyourGlue
STEAM_0:0:760883

Postby Flare on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Well Open Beta has been ongoing for a while now, theres 7 days left before the beta ends.

The easy AI has been tweaked a lot , its not as murderous as it used to be and doesnt go for the throat of new players as much, in fact I was able to defeat the easy AI in a 1v1 without much issues though not due to skill as much as the AI taking it easy on me.
This makes for a much more easier learning curve than it used to be and as such encourages me to play more to improve and I have a nice little path I can take... easy - standard ... etc etc, instead of easy just slaughtering me.
I am glad it isnt so mortar happy anymore, in fact the match I played 1 v 1 didnt see a single mortar round... we even got to t34's and Stugs.

If you tried it during the previous alpha trials and was disillusioned by the murderous AI and difficult to grasp nature, try again the AI is much more forgiving and allows for players to grasp the concepts of the game much easier.
This beta is much more entertaining as a result, and I personally feel a bit more confidant to learn more... it even offers to auto match you with other humans against AI opponents (didnt try it though, dont think some poor bugger will be too happy to keep the AI at bay while I worked out how to play :P).

Recommend looking at the open beta of this title as soon as you can.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Wizav on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:55 am

I went off this game after finding out no other factions would be added, just going to be Soviets vs Germans. Why can't they just do historical single player and leave multiplayer open, it always bugged me in the first game that allies could never be on the same side as axis, does anyone care if it's not realistic?

If they added all major factions and allowed all combinations and mirror matches could be as popular as SC2

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Postby I Blame my Mother on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:40 am

But you can play with mixed teams and mirror matches in CoH2. As for having more factions I guess there's such thing as overstretching yourself. There's always a temptation and a demand from players to do absolutely everything and be everything for everyone. This often ends disastrously.
Given the game's slightly troubled path to the market (via a crumbling THQ and being sold off to Sega) Its probably for the best that they focused their efforts on the eastern front and Russia/Germany as playable factions.
I Blame my Mother
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Events Deputy Head

Postby Wizav on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 am

so they allow mirror matches & mixed matches on automatch and ranked now?

I'm cool with CoH2 only having two factions for the meantime, but they won't be adding others at all from what i've heard. The first CoH only had Americans and Wehr but they added Brits and PE in expansion. If they are set on keeping eastern front historical then US , Brits, France and other major powers will never be added to multiplayer. They could do Africa Korps expansion but then soviets won't be a faction and so on. If they didn't care about realism or being historically accurate in multiplayer they would have many more options

Wizav
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wizav
STEAM_1:3:666666

Previous

Return to Gamer's Retreat