[PC/PS3] Final Fantasy XIV

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [PC/PS3] Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Blast on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Is anyone still playing this? I'm tempted to try this out tomorrow.
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Postby Slavechild on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 am

Ugghh it's a bad game ...FF died a death back at 10.2 only to have one last spark with 12 .. it was then dead from there on.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Templar+ on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:08 am

No i got bored with this game after about 2 month's the gear system seems a bit pointless and the dungeons feel a bit hollow.
Templar+
Old Timer

Player: Templar+
STEAM_0:0:10400303

Postby Flare on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 am

I play the game, but have to admit it isnt the most exciting game around... I will say it has a decent story and the world and its NPC's are interesting enough to keep me playing till I had leveled a healer to max (Conjurer).

The class / job system allows you to level every job / craft / class on one character... no need for alts but at the same time it also messes up the economy as players will just level up all the crafts and gathering jobs and supply themselves.
There is no real economy ... its roughly craft high quality items that can be spiritbound, and then converted to top level materia which is worth some Gil... it a bit tedious as spirit bounding items is about wearing and fighting / crafting / gathering until the item is bound to you... can take a while, then you roll the dice and hope you get a good piece of materia.
The combat system is a typical action bar / hot key affair with some limited active action components... dodge aoe / cone attacks , and some classes have a chain system or some system that must be mastered to max out the rotations but it isnt really fluid or adaptable. Not bad but not really special.
Dungeons are pretty good but the loot system makes it pointless to visit most of them more than once, they have interesting mechanics and boss fight systems that will make a party hop... end game dungeons are all about grinding for tomes for gear, high level players will rush the crap out of these and drag other players through at pace... no time for site seeing.
The loot system is a bit odd in open world combat... there isnt any gear drops from mobs, or Gil...just crafting mats, no random chance of a new piece of gear dropping or even decent vendor trash.

I enjoy playing the game at the moment and have a decent Free Company (guild) and it did keep me interested long enough to max level... which is less than what Guild Wars 2 managed, but it isnt a specially exciting game... more a FF experience, mind you the dungeons and some quests are a good challenge so its not all MMO for casuals but its not Hardcore either... offering only 1 dungeon thats really top FC only at the moment, and even that is attemptable with pugs.

Good game, not special and has issues but interesting enough in my opinion.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Previous

Return to Gamer's Retreat