[PC/Sim/Indie] Game Developer Tycoon

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC/Sim/Indie] Game Developer Tycoon

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

Anyone else picked this one up? Caught my eye when a Youtuber did a short presentation video of it, and the media attention it's been getting by it's antipiracy measures are kinda neat! You can read the story here.

Essentially, you start a game developing company in around the 80s, beginning by operating in your garage. You create your own game engines, build up your resume of games and with success you can move to a bigger office, hire staff, etc. The game is immensely addictive, I sacrificed a good 3 hours into it after I bought it! The game gets very difficult around the midpoint, at least it does for me. No matter what I do, I manage to make 3-4 succesfull million dollar games and after that my games just end up being terribad and before I know it I'm bankrupt. :C No clue what I should do to save the situation, since at this point I lack the funds to research and develop a more sophisticated game engine. Still, dont mind starting over again and trying!

Tips and tricks for success stories? What have your best games been, how did they do? My most succesfull title so far was a business simulator called Money Makers, which made me a hefty 3 million...even with that money I failed to do anything except for going bankrupt :D

You can pick the game up on their site, http://www.greenheartgames.com/, for 8 dollars. Currently Greenlit as well and looking forward to Steam release!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Player: aekson
STEAM_0:1:9679660

Re: [PC/Sim/Indie] Game Developer Tycoon

Postby Shuriken on Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 pm

It tickled me a little, but I wasn't surprised to see most copies being played were pirated since they took the liberty to release it themselves. It's a nice touch, poignant but a little self defeating if it's meant to be serious. Even so, nice tongue-in-cheek marketing tactic. Picked up a copy of the game myself, hope it's as good as it could be
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm

I picked it up, its on Win 8 store so it was easy enough for me to nab, and these types appeal to me... and double points for small indie team without a huge publisher / company backup.

Had a quick mess around with it, and it nearly had me in its grasp but I did notice the time and was able to tear myself away... my very first title did well, earned me fans and cash, so I put more effort into the sequel ...moar graphics moar action moar money, and it flopped :silent:

Easy to get into, can chill out while playing as it only needs the mouse to control... it doesnt seem to be a deep and replayable title though, and doesnt seem to have any way to customise your 'garage / dev studio' that I could see.
Not a serious game and more like a mobile app / touchpad type of game... cool to mess around with if you dont have time to really get into a game but not deep enough to warrant too much effort to master it.

Cheap , fun and casual game... hard not to recommend unless you really hate casual titles.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Security on Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I have played the demo and it is a very enjoyable game but I haven't bought it yet because of the current randomness later in the game when it comes to if your game does well or not. It is not clear if the developers will clarify on how the system calculates success and if needed fixes it. Especially since supposedly there is a claim from the developer that they will not support the game any further now that it is released.

So to avoid frustration (and since this is that studio's fist game) I will wait and see what happens before buying it.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Thu May 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Well, after I had the guts to hire on new people (was afraid the costs would bankrupt me in no time, was trying to run the company with two people, which was nowhere near enough), I've managed to create succesfull publisher titles after another and put time, money and effort into better game engines. So for now, things are looking good, lets see how long I can manage to keep it up :D

EDIT: And about not supporting the game after release, I thought they just announced DLC?
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby Binerexis on Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm

I bought it and this thing is HARD. I left my garage with 6mil and have ended up bankrupt again. Time to start fresh game 3!
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Sir Bob Geldof on Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

So many restarts but I love games that death slap for making risks and well it my fault for trying a werewolf action game with a bloated budget and advertising.
Sir Bob Geldof
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Geldof Section 9
STEAM_0:0:13484122

Postby Flare on Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 pm

What a giggle...

I make a pack of titles and engines... kept making a steady profit, though dipped into the red with a new engine eating my capital but came up roses with the game.

I was wondering what to spit out next to creep to the required 240 k for the ver 3 graphics, when I made a silly title called Date Me! A mature themed Mystery RPG on the PC (which had the lowest market)...

Game reviewed at 9 10 10 10 , I went from 180 k to 1.8 mil and added 3.5 k fans... new office hello, bye bye garage.

I tend to use the time I am getting cash in from one game (if its well reviewed) to make expensive jumps... if the game was bad I do contract and research till I can make another game of decent value.
I dont like how you cant add new features to old engines, I mean my first engine had linear story , mono sound , saved game...then I got the option to research gamepads, but to add gamepads I need to make a whole new engine even though most of the stuff is the same.

... ah well now onto training and hiring new slaves...err I mean loyal employees.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Thu May 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I got the game. I named my company Atari and my first game Pong. Got a few achievements for nostalgia!
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby Shuriken on Thu May 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Played about with it for a bit, really liking it. Had a smash hit on the TES with my ninja action game Shin of Shinobi, 2 million and a new office later I managed to ruin it all by investing heavily in an engine and having a game flop completely lol
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Ok, got over the overwhelmingly harsh midpart and now I'm running my operations in an even bigger office with more employees. At this point I would have to make a huge mess of everything to go bankrupt, but...I'll knock on wood, just to be sure :D Have had a succession of hit Strategy, Adventure and RPG releases for the PS2, mBox and PC and those have carried me pretty far!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby Shuriken on Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm

lol I'm currently battling through the mid part now, i've been hanging by the skin of my teeth, saved by a last minute release twice now. A bunch of action games and rpg's seem to be my specialties lol

Edit: Successful sequel to my first Gameling action smash hit "TaeKwonDojo", the originally named "TwoKwonDojo" just landed me a 100 million :D Finally time to make a new engine :cheers:

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Picky Bugger on Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 pm

For some reason I watched Total Biscuit live streaming it for about 2 hours. It was entrancing. Anyway I've picked it up for myself now. Here comes a real sequel to Deus Ex. :P
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Shuriken on Fri May 03, 2013 10:19 pm

lol oh damn where did the rest of the day go....

I've sat here playing this all night o.O

Got a final score of 39,547,866, so close to making my MMO lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby S.O.Sniper on Sat May 04, 2013 6:08 am

Shuriken wrote:lol oh damn where did the rest of the day go....

I've sat here playing this all night o.O

Got a final score of 39,547,866, so close to making my MMO lol

Just finished the game with 41.5 mil score. :P

By the end I was running out of ideas of what to make and so just stuck with what I thought I knew, but they didn't do so well. I didn't manage to make a AAA game or console because I ended up sqaundering most of my millions.

Top Earners:
Dark AI 3 (Cyberpunk RPG) - 61M
Dark AI 4 (Cyberpunk RPG) - 43M
Captain Saviour (Superhero Action) - 39.1M
Dinosaurs Rule 3 (Evolution Sim) - 33M
The Missing Toe (Mystery Adventure) - 28M

Very addictive game. :D
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Picky Bugger on Sun May 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Been playing this a lot over the weekend and have been enjoying it although it does seem rather arbitrary at times, especially regarding game scores.

Currently my biggest selling game is a Business / RPG? :ill: by the name of Boo Capitalism (19 Million sales).
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby sNaKeBiTe on Sun May 05, 2013 9:10 pm

On this wiki they explain everything: http://gamedevtycoon.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Combinations

However it also takes away the fun a bit.

sNaKeBiTe

Player: sNaKeBiTe
STEAM_0:1:10928581

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 pm

sNaKeBiTe wrote:On this wiki they explain everything: http://gamedevtycoon.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Combinations

However it also takes away the fun a bit.

CHEATER!

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

Finished today as well, upkeep costs for my smashhit MMO and development of my own consoles sadly drove my beautiful studio bankrupt :(

NORTHERNLIGHT
Highscore of 47,9mil (at the end of 30 years)

Sadly I can't access my top games, but my MMO "Seven Kingdoms" (Song of Fire and Ice inspired series :P) sold 471 million copies with 5 expansion packs I launched. I also had a Military Action series "Blackwater" going for the X360, which had 3 sequels. That was my second most succesful title, think the games sold 50-70 million copies each. Managed to create a couple AAA titles as well and host my own convetion. My console nLIGHT Cyan sold 1,3 million units before I went bankrupt from trying to maintain servers for all the 7K geeks :( The console happened after the 30 years, though, so I think I'll have another run at this to see if I can make the MMO and consoles happen a lot earlier in the game. Most likely I'll start from the very beginning, as with Northernlight I took babysteps the whole way. Still, had immense fun for the few days the game had me at it :D

As for replay value, I really can't see much else than making all the development happen earlier in the game. The DLC they announced should help, though. One could always come up with challenges, such as being a Strategy/Simulation biased studio. Most of my titles were Fantasy RPG ones, so maybe I'll try being Creative Assembly next instead of the unholy matrimony of EA and Blizzard :D And I agree, the game is immensely addictive, I played for another hour or two even after beating the game, just to see how far I can get by spending everything on R&D and Hardware development :D

EDIT: Also, never managed to make a game that got all 10s! Best titles were 10/10/10/9, think it was my strategy game Empirium Roma or one of my PS2 RPGs.
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby Binerexis on Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Getting all 10's is crazy difficult. Basically, you have to assign the right people to the right areas and they have to have certain skill values.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Next

Return to Gamer's Retreat