[PC - Indie] Kerbal Space Program

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [PC - Indie] Kerbal Space Program

Postby m0lineux on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 pm

I've added it to my wishlist, but for £17.99 I'm not sure.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Allan Ocelot on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:35 pm

The new update is in play testing at the moment.
Some features:
- ability to manage the kerbins (hire, fire, train, return home and reuse)
- A new ending phase (too many people clicking on end flight instead of return to station)
- more parts
etc
You can read more on the KSP website.
- Knowledge is a curse but ignorance is worse - Neil Hannon.
Allan Ocelot
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ALLAN OCELOT - "The Bard"
STEAM_0:0:33578867

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:27 am

Binerexis wrote:Tell you what, I'll be at i49 for the day so if any of you guys are there with the full version of the game, you can try to sell it to me :P

Bine, I will be there with my pc and a copy. If you give me a tap on the shoulder, I will happily let you have a proper stab at the game :)
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Binerexis on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Mega!
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby 13th Nightmare on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Finally bought this just before the Steam sale ended. Only played it for about 20 minutes but I like it. Managed to launch my 1st rocket... Only for it to come crashing down without a care in the world. But I like the fact it's a case of trial and error. Not sure if I will read the wiki about it or not as I want to try and figure out stuff on my own. As I think it will be a bit more rewarding that way
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby m0lineux on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 am

Same as 13th got to 5:50 and bit the bullet and bought it, not sure how i feel about it yet but ill carry on giving it a go.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby S.O.Sniper on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

So I noticed the new update came out, but I still haven't got around to playing this yet (I swear I will) after buying it in the summer sale. It seems to add some very interesting changes - what's the verdict?

Anyway, I'd love to see more screenshots of what you guys have been doing.
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Shuriken on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Oh gods it's out?! I know what I'm playing all day then :D

That'll also explain why the forum is broken lol

Edit: Had a quick blat before foods, space planes are now a joy to fly, if still a little strange. Built the bare bones of a space plane to see how easy it was to get into orbit, if I put fuel lines from my small tanks to my aerospike tank I would have got a stable orbit on the first attempt. Most noticeable change though, no shaking of death for no reason on the runway \o/

So now that planes are more fun I'll probably move back onto rockets, because screw logic
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I tossed this up to low Kerbin orbit (LKO) as a start to the space program...

Its a docking training space station where I will add a fuel and mono prop reserves for craft to refuel with, then later with the Kethane mod I will set up a fuel operation on the Mun to supply the Station and out going space craft.

Green and Red lights from the Aviation Lights mod, has some Kethane mod detectors on it, and Mechjeb (I also have Chatterer, love the random kerbal chit chat while floating in space... some of it is even starting to make sense :shock: ).
The red light flashes at intervals, a warning light to docking craft that they shouldnt be pointing in that direction and rather at the nice green lights. I also have some nice white lights at each hatch by the crew tanks and Cupola.
Craft can host 6 ships on protected docking ports (4 inline and 2 shielded on the ends) with 1 senior docking port for expansions.

I love the new version... the whole ship that carried the station to LKO only used 3 sets of 4 struts to keep it together and flew with barely a issue and nothing I couldnt deal with even at my poor piloting skill levels.
The connections are definitely a lot stronger than they used to be and dont just fall off on a whim... less struts = less parts overall and that means less lag.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Shuriken on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Oooh pretty lol

Everything needs moar lights in space. Ended up being busy all day, haven't had a chance to play about but have some funky new ideas I want to try :D
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Decided to try and send a probe into space. This is how my most memorable attempt went:

Stage 1 - Launched without any problems. No explosions, no parts flying off that shouldn't, nothing.
Stage 2 - Reached 450 feet or metres. Whatever the measurement scale is.
Stage 3 - Ran out of fuel.
Stage 4 - Plummeted to the ground.

So I think we can call that a fail
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Shuriken on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Tried putting a space station hub up, not enough lift :(

Tried a big plane, not enough lift :(

Time to go back to small and start again I think lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby ListerofSMEG-2 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Read up on 'Asparagus' staging - all the thrust you can shake a stick at

Also there is a handy mod called 'Mechjeb' - useful for docking & obtaining a circular orbit (not cheating really)
i37 i40 i43 i45(Spec) i46 i49 i52(spec) i55
ListerofSMEG-2
Home Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: ListerofSMEG
STEAM_0:1:5418592

Postby Security on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:56 am

Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Flare on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm

New update is out on this, 0.22... and it adds Science, and career mode.
Both are in a rudimentary stage and tend to work more as a progressing gate for players than a real 'game' but its fun to have to 'earn' the parts and it gives you a nice way to learn about the basic parts bit by bit, rather than having the whole mess of parts tossed at you from the get go.
The science part is amusing and does just enough to keep a player interested enough to progress through the parts tree, and gives the player more interaction during the waits between burns.
It is possible to still play the old sandbox mode and have all the parts and mods like previous versions, and the career mode is fairly easy to 'game' to clear the tree in as few as 3 or 4 flights by 'pros', I havent tried myself I just progress slowly and make odd prototype rockets with the bits and pieces I unlock... amusing.

Worth a look if you have put KSP on hold, I would suggest experienced players try not min max the system and just enjoy the tree slowly, and for new players who got turned off with all the parts available at the start the new mode lets you gradually acquire the parts at a more sedate pace.
Its easy enough to get started, slap on a fuel tank under the command pod, and a T30 engine, plop on a parachute on the nose of the pod and launch the lot straight up, right click on the pod to make a crew report, deploy chute and land the rocket ... all the science you need to progress to the next tier.

In short: New update is fun, lets you play KSP with some goals, science. Dont expect too much though, it is limited and still needs work.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Advanced_Boobies on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm

My mate got me into this game, currently using the demo and hoping to buy it in the near future.

Glad there there is a place on UKCS to express my love for a beautiful and fun game.
Advanced_Boobies
Recruit Member

Player: *
STEAM_0:1:53194106

Postby Slavechild on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:45 am

I've spent a lot of hours planning ships and flights, I love this game and I don't think I've ever learnt so much from a game! A quick example being the Aerospike engine.

I can't see how anyone can clear the tree with 3-4 flights but I can see how you can unlock most of the tree in your first flight out of the kerbal system. I made 2k science on my first flight out of the system headed for Eve and I tend to use a "Kazakami" style probe in the lower levels of the tree (lots of battery power and solar panels for science transmission spamming 8)).
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby XenocideWiki on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:21 am

I dont know how to fly around the earth XD i get up to the space then i think i accidentaly once evacuated bob and he fell down and died xD
still, i have to figure out a lot of things >.> i want to know this, how to fly around the earth AND LAND, then how to connect multiple rockets together, theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen how to fly that jetpack cos last time i flew 10 km away from my ship, also i killed bob kerman, and i dont know what i am supposed to do XD

Because... BACON! <3
XenocideWiki

Player: xenocidewiki
STEAM_0:0:69668919

Postby Useless² on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 pm

New updates out, time to start a new save!! What do people here prefer, sandbox or 'career'?
God gave me wind and waves...

...Everything else I can buy
Useless²
Home Member

Player: Useless²
STEAM_0:1:20542679

Postby Security on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:03 am

Sandbox for me as I still don't have a clue what I am doing. :D
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member