[PC] Total War: Rome II

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [PC] Total War: Rome II

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:18 am

Got this for christmas from my awesome brother and it would seem they've ironed out most of the issues. I'm running supersmooth with all settings at Ultra with my new rig and I haven't encountered too serious bugs as of yet. Ending a turn is smooth as well, although it does take significantly longer than in previous titles. It does seem a bit silly that whenever you take on a settlement and encircle it, any enemy units outside the city just scatter into every direction, even when they outnumber me 3:1! This occasionally is rather helpful for a Seleucid emperor in the making like myself, but I would call that a bug rather than a feature. I'll just have to avoid exploiting it. :P

Another downer for me is the repetition of the battle maps. So far all the sieges I've done have been on rather similiar battlegrounds, but I think I'll get more variety once I dwell further into the campaign.

Overall, loving the game! It looks and runs great, the battles feel as good as ever in a TW game and I love what they did to the grand campaign. Such a small and simple thing as generating names for your armies and tweaking the recruitment really does make the experience more immersive for myself, as in Medieval II and Empire I would usually take over a city and just create a new stack for the next one; faulty tactics from my part, but that was just me. :D When I send the Might of Hephaistos and the Wings of Pegasus to deal with satrapys who think they're better off independent, the whole deal feels more like an actual military campaign rather than just marching off to do a couple of battles. Love it!
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Player: aekson
STEAM_0:1:9679660

Postby Flawless on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:36 am

The control the point battles, and the increasing time between turns because of poor programming (They call a CRC check exponentially more as time goes on). I'd stuck to Shogun 2 if you wanted a modern total war game, else Rome and Medieval 2 are there and ready to play.

At least they stopped the squalor bug since the first, no longer do I need to cheat or leave my own cities until they rebel and then slay them all.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby renegade_master on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:07 pm

thanks for the feedback, i think i will now invest my monies into the game.
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 am

Creative Assembly are now testing "official" mod tools in beta; http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/18/total ... a-testing/

I think there already are lots of mods that tweak the AI, I'm kinda starting to hope this would enable making total conversions. The vanilla is great and keeping me addicted, but a GoT mod for example would be kickass :P
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:06 am

A bit further in, with a few updates here and there, the game is starting to feel more and more polished. I think it's getting to the point where it should've been on the initial release, which does sound kinda funny and terrifying for CA at the same time. Had a short break, but got back into it thanks to some enhancement mods; so far I've only applied graphical mods such as GEM and Better Blood Textures (which, btw, make the game look a LOT better) and once I'm done with my Seleucid campaign I'll consider throwing in unit packs and maybe some AI tweaks. During battles the vanilla AI can handle itself relatively well, but it's still pretty goofy on the campaign map at times.

Anyone here tried out complete overhauls like Radious or Divide et Impera? Opinions on either, preferences over the other?
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Postby [FIN]JackBauer on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:04 am

NECROBUMP, but well worth it, me thinks! CA are working on what they call the Emperor Edition of Rome 2, which includes a ton of changes and balancing stuff out. I thought I read somewhere that they would include all the DLC, but seems like it'll be only the free-LC.

More info here; http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09 ... s-edition/
[FIN]JackBauer
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Gamer's Retreat