[Android - MMO AR] Ingress

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[Android - MMO AR] Ingress

Postby Who Am I? on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Ingress is a Massively Multiplayer Online Augmented Reality (game) for Android smartphones. The Android version launched as a closed beta about a year ago (November 2012) and about a year later it is now an open beta. In about a month, December 14, the game will be released officially. There have been rumors of an iOS version in the future (2014?) as well, but I can't confirm it.

The info on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(game)) provides a basic explanation of the game, but once you start playing you're going to want to read the official and unofficial guides or get help from a high level player (that's how I learned the game).

A fairly good summary of the gameplay:
Wikipedia wrote:The gameplay consists of establishing "portals" at places of public art, landmarks, cenotaphs, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units, i.e. people, nominally controlled by each faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map). The necessary links between portals may range from meters to kilometers, or to hundreds of kilometers in operations of considerable logistical complexity. International links and fields are not uncommon, as Ingress has attracted an enthusiastic following in cities worldwide amongst both young and old

The story/plot behind the game is tough to explain, as it is quite mysterious on purpose. But here's some of it:
http://www.ingressguide.com/what-is-ingress/ wrote:Life seems “normal” but your world is being infiltrated. A mysterious energy has been unlocked by a team of scientists in Europe and is spreading around the world. The origin and purpose of this force is unknown, but some researchers believe it is influencing the way we think. We must control it or it will control us.

There are two factions. The Enlightened seek to spread this influence. The Resistance struggle to protect what’s left of our humanity.

The World is the Game

Move through the real world using your Android device and the Ingress app to discover and tap sources of this mysterious energy, acquire objects to aid in your quest, deploy tech to capture territory, and ally with other players to advance the cause of the Enlightened or the Resistance.

Some screenshots:
The game:ImageA portal:ImageAgent stats:Image

The Intel Map (Stockholm a while ago):

Advanced fields:

You may be thinking that an Android game doesn't fit into these forums, but it's not just something you play when having a poo break. The thing that separates Ingress from other Android games is that you are mobile while playing it, i.e. you move around in the world (or more likely your city). If you've heard of Geocaching before, think of that but as a game. I've also seen games like Turf and Turf Wars, which seem similar to this but not at all as good.

There is so much more information about Ingress and what you can in the game, but this is just an intro and a start of a discussion.

TRY IT! Free exercise btw :)
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Player: wa1gasm
STEAM_0:0:12807451

Re: [Android - MMO AR] Ingress

Postby Who Am I? on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm keeping this post space for later, for guides and stuff.
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby Berath on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Interesting

Berath's Brain Burps; you know it makes no sense
Berath
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: (=WDG=) Berath
STEAM_0:1:23915483

Postby KaTTa on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Hmm, so the nearest portal is 223 km south of me.... damn :(

EDIT: Nvm the map thingy was just slow, the nearest is only 55 km away. :D
So quick question then can I as an lvl 1 hack an lvl 7 portal?
KaTTa
Home Member

Player: KaTTa
STEAM_0:0:25459580

Postby Shuriken on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:47 pm

This app is great :D It has had a couple of hiccups in beta but overall it's an interesting way to keep you on the move
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Who Am I? on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:24 am

KaTTa wrote:Hmm, so the nearest portal is 223 km south of me.... damn :(

EDIT: Nvm the map thingy was just slow, the nearest is only 55 km away. :D
So quick question then can I as an lvl 1 hack an lvl 7 portal?

The good thing is, you can suggest portal locations yourself, so if you have anything that is remotely special in your hometown, you can submit that and it will probably get approved within like 4 weeks (might be way faster now).

About hacking higher level portals, you can hack ANY portals without any problems, it is if you want to take over the portal you're gonna have big problems. Hacking is done to collect items and you get AP if it is an enemy portal. I didn't start blowing up enemy portals until I was like lvl 4 or 5, cause my XMP Bursters (weapon used to blow up enemy portals) didn't have a desirable effect until then. What I did to level up was create control fields and recharge friendly portals (give XM to a portal, from yourself), which can also be done remotely if you have a key to the portal.

Shuriken wrote:This app is great :D It has had a couple of hiccups in beta but overall it's an interesting way to keep you on the move

It is amazing, I only started 3-4 weeks ago, so I haven't really had any problems with it, maybe it was worse before. Still though, for a beta it is working really well. I agree with the last thing you said too, I really appreciate it now, whenever I have to walk somewhere. I even take after work strolls, only because of the game.
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby Synaphix on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:31 am

Ah, you are wa1gasm lol was going to say someone was discussing this on CS:S tonight but you made the thread :P
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby Who Am I? on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 am

Haha, that was me indeed
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby EWJ on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:57 am

I tried it but my crappy phones gps wasnt up to scratch.. I have a good mate in Dublin who teams up with other people and walk for miles each night attacking and securing portals.. they even go on field trips to other cities... :shock:
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Shuriken on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Haha I do that Jim, but solo XD

I'm going to have to go on a winter walk soon just so I can get the forts and castles portals
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Who Am I? on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

I just got back from Dubai and I have keys to one or two portals :) I'm not sure if it it would work to create a field all the way from Sweden to there. I have multiple keys to Burj Khalifa, so all I would need is two connected portals in Sweden with lots of Link Amps I assume, if it is possible at all.

I'll be friggin famous if it works.

EDIT: Not gonna work: http://decodeingress.me/ingress-manual/ingress-items/portal-mods/link-amplifier/. The max distance of a link is 655 km * 3 = 1965 km, for an L8 portal with only Link Amps. The distance between Stockholm and Dubai is almost 5000km. Oh well, it would be near impossible with all the links that are in the way (can't create a link through an existing one).
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby Aceo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Got this a week or so back when I saw the thread. It's quite fun. Gotten to the top end of level 2 after destroying 2 portals at bottom of my street, only for them to be taken back about half an hour later. Going round the town center is quite interesting now with the multitude of portals there are there...

Last edited by Aceo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Binerexis on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 pm

I remember playing this in beta and it being terrible in my area. Have they updated it at all so that it works in small towns?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Aceo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:14 pm

You can submit portal suggestions from stuff that fits the criteria which seems to be small local landmark from how they are here.

Edit: Link to criteria

Last edited by Aceo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aceo
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Aceo
STEAM_0:1:8775008

Postby Who Am I? on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Yeah it is working properly as far as I can tell, what was it that was terrible, Bin?
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby Shuriken on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 pm

It used to be impossible for people in small towns and villages to get anything done, mostly because there'd be nothing spawning nearby. Was fixed a while ago though, only problem now is there are memorials, statues and ruins nearby that I have no idea how to get to lol

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Who Am I? on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:07 pm

If the portals are inaccessible, you can submit a location correction or mark it as invalid. But, to do this I think you have to be able to see it in your Scanner first. Then tap it and click the portal image and choose Edit, you'll get a few choices.

I've submitted a change request for a portal that was on the roof of a shopping building, they said they had fixed it now, but it's still there, GJ. On a lucky day when my scanner goes haywire, I can hack it :)
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Postby Who Am I? on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:05 pm

FYI, a badge will be awarded to those who have reached LVL 5 on the release day Dec 14, like a thank you thingy for participating in the Beta. Go go go!
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Return to Gamer's Retreat