[PC - Indie - Early Access] Timber and Stone

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - Indie - Early Access] Timber and Stone

Postby Flare on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Found this little gem by accident, was checking out vids for the new Dwarf Fortress update and in one of the searches this game popped up.

Title : Timber and Stone
PC - Indie title - early access - not via steam - $19.99 (about £12) via paypal to the developer

Developer site : http://www.timberandstonegame.com/
Wiki : http://timberstonewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

What is it ?

Its yet another survival game where the player leads a few men and women in a effort to start up a new town in the wilderness, it is in 3D using an Voxel engine in Unity.
You start off with about 6 people with random skills / professions and need to try establish a town of sorts in a pretty hostile environment which just gets nastier as your settlement grows in value.
You dont simply place down structures but build them block by block Dwarf Fortress style (design the building and the appropriate minion will come and build it), the furniture and equipment is placed but the actual buildings the player makes.
It has a hefty combat element to it as it lets you make militia with archers and armour melee teams, and includes castle defence weapons such as ballista which you used to defend your settlement from ever increasing hordes of skeletons, spiders , necromancers and more.
It has much of the Dwarf Fortress vibe to it but is not as deep BUT the UI and interfaces is much more friendly and easier on the eyes, the graphics are actually quite nice to look at as well and the animations are decent... its quiet satisfying to watch your little guys go about their business (or loaf about on chairs and benches , lazy sods :P).

Worth a look ?

I say its at least worth checking the lets plays and some videos, personally I found the CURRENT game worth £12 and despite the slow update rate (1 developer) the current game has enough in it to keep a player occupied for a few hours at least, potentially you can spend ages making that perfect castle.
It does have some issues, like stuttering when the time changes and ...the loooong nights (I tend to have my people sleep at night, so the wait is long , even with the double speed activated).
It is quiet hard to get started as your people are not very tough and dont start off with lots of combat gear, a set of archer kit and some infantry gear is typical and lost HP is hard to get back as it slowly regens over time, plus you have a lot of other issues to deal with... food, tools, resources, time, limited number of people, etc etc... I haven't even managed to get a full wall up and lost one woman to a skeleton (she got killed while chopping wood... learnt there was a pause game on seeing an enemy option).
Its will keep you busy, lots of stuff to manage and the UI has a surprising number of features to help here... the ability to select which resource you want to track, setting patrol paths, AI used roads out your castle (and to attach your castle with the map boundaries so merchants and migrants can get to you.
Its a solid mix of Settlers , Dwarf Fortress , Stronghold type games... enjoyable, and its still in development.

My opinion:

Game in its current state is enjoyable and has enough to keep me busy for hours and the potential for yet more to come with new releases. I got my moneys worth now, and there may be more to come (lets face it , lots of times early access games end up dead before they hit release).
It has a slow start to each map but ramps up pretty quickly, it is quiet challenging yet is fair (mob attacks are based on how valuable your settlement is.. basically the better off you are the harder the attacks are).
Worth a go, and is not too expensive... may die before its complete but it isnt tied to a server and is very playable in its current form with only a few minor issues.
Last edited by Flare on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: [PC - Indie - Early Access] Timber and Stone

Postby Flare on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:53 am

Game has gone through a few updates since my last post, and has changed quiet a bit and overwhelmingly more for the better...

Game has an improved UI and much needed unit list table to show all the villagers and jobs, it has had a sizeable graphic update (and adds custom texture support), added a fog of war and tweaked the light during the night time phases, ditched the fatigue system so villagers do not need to sleep and the sleep system now acts like a healing system instead (hurt villagers will find a bed and sleep till healed up, better bed faster recovery).

The game has been greenlit too so is in the process of preparing to move onto Steam, which presents a issue for new customers as anyone buying the game from the site now will unfortunately not be eligible for a Steam key... so it may be prudent to wait until it hits Steam which shouldnt be too long.

If you enjoy Settlers, Dwarf Fortress, Banished or any type of colony management sim you are sure to find Timber n' Stone to have quiet a bit of charm.

*note: The game is still under development and does have some crash issues (rare in my case) and performance issues (works fine for me, but others report issues), it is certainly playable.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Slavechild on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:24 pm

I've always liked these sorts of games and remember playing Settlers as a kid along with AOE and Baldies and I definitely like the newer generation like Banished so I might give it a go.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Flare on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Apparently it is due to go on Steam in about 20 hours...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/408990/

Oh, and don't be fooled by its cute GFX style , it can be brutal and offers DF style 'fun' ... its quiet common to have a nice looking peacefully little settlement that has quiet easily disposed of unarmed Goblins, a few lost Wolves or the occasional dimwitted Skeleton... to suddenly be staring a Necromancer with his troupe of Skeleton Infantry, guess building that fancy Inn for your settlers wasn't too useful :P
It is fair though, you do get a slow ramp up time before the 'fun' starts and each start teaches you new tricks until you are able to field heavy armoured melee with large swords covering the Archers on the walls... and failing that a good solid wall and moat helps a lot.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Shuriken on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:25 am

Grabbed this after seeing the magic words Dwarf and Fortress thrown around a couple of times. Seems like a more hands-on version of Gnomoria, which is the closest we've come to a DF-like lately imo. Initial impressions were to be expected from a beta but after the hang/ctd the game runs surprisingly well already. Would love some more settlers though, despite having connected roads I've had all of 2 merchants and no people. I've been told you need to get surplus resources to attract more people but drowning in wheat and berries apparently doesn't cover that.

It already feels more like DF than anything that came before it so to me that's more than enough reason to promote it. There are a bunch of QOL improvements that can and should be made but the beta bones have enough meat on them to show promise and enough attention to detail that it would be surprising if it's not rounded out well.

5 hours playtime impression: 7/10 not perfect but a great showing for a beta.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Slavechild on Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:25 pm

I've racked up 27 hours since it went live on steam, learning curve is a bit high but you get a hang of it and then it stabs you in the back with a necromancer at your castle door and settlers that can't deal with that and run away .. day 43 and the necromancer is gone but no settlers venture out of the walls, it is now a enclosed state that closely resembles north korea so I'm tempted to start again.

I can't wait to see how this game develops but atm I would like to see a version that uses all my cores :( still a solid 8/10
Slavechild
Home Member

Postby Shuriken on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:55 am

17 hours verdict: 8/10 missing a bit of flesh here and there but I expect this to rise before full release. This is more punishing for having wealth, of any kind, than dwarf fortress. Dig out a strip for a mine? Congrats all that stone attracted 8 wolves. Bye Settlement. Why is that forest on fire? Of course there are necromancers on day 5, you shouldn't have started with a level 5 miner and collected all that lovely copper ore. Definitely the same vein of "you play properly or you die" but possibly too hard in the settler dept. I started a new settlement just to figure out how to get new settlers, turns out each of your folks eats about 30 food per day and you need surplus food to attract new people. Simply put you need to be able to feed them before they get here, you won't start seeing any migration in until you're producing more than 240 food per day presuming none of your characters are heavy eaters, closer to 300 if they are.

Not many games get me to stop what I'm doing and play them all day instead but this one has. Definitely another time sink.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Slavechild on Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:58 am

The map generator can be evil but challenge accepted
Slavechild
Home Member