[PC - F2P] Heroes of the Storm

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - F2P] Heroes of the Storm

Postby Flare on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm

*** Heroes of the Storm is now officially released, here is a reference free link ***

EU URL: http://eu.battle.net/heroes/en/

Title : Heroes of the Storm
Genre : MOBA / DOTA / LoL style
Platforms : Currently PC only

What is it ?

A DOTA2 / LoL style game coming from Blizzard (dont know when at the moment).
It will be a free 2 play title that will have a in game store to buy cosmetics or rush buy heroes which could be bought by in game gold.
It uses the same free hero rotation style used in LoL to let you access 5 - 7 heroes, and you need to unlock to own permanently.

So.. another LoL / DOTA2 ?

Yes... and no, mostly no.
It does a lot of things differently :

- Cant select map, maps are (currently) randomly selected - may change dont know yet.
- Maps have a core theme and objective, standard MOBA tactics dont work so well.
- Last hitting is virtually removed, only a limited number of talents or traits require you to actually last hit,
- EXP is team wide no matter who gets the kill / objective.
- Players start off with all their none ultimate skills unlocked, and skills scale rather than get upgraded like other DotA type.
- There is no item shop, builds are created via choosing talents at various levels, each tier will offer 2 - 4 options. You cannot unselect talents for that match.
- Towers and other defensive building (except Core (final structure)) have a limited ammo count and can run out in battle.
- NPC camps are very important, in fact it is a viable tactic to evade team fights and capture merc camps instead forcing the enemy team to deal with waves of strong NPCs.
- Players have a level, which at the moment is rather bare of rewards.... initially some gold, unlock quests , free rotation hero slots , then more gold rewards for the last parts.
- Each hero the player plays have a level to progress in, initially these unlock talents and 2nd ultimate (on most heroes).
- There is no kill stealing as a kill equally rewards all players irrespective of their participation in that kill.
- There is (currently) no all chat , cannot speak to the enemy team at all.
- There is (currently) no post or pre match lobby.
- Players select their hero (or select random) then search for a match, random hero tries to choose a hero type to suit the team.
- Players are given a daily quest (dont need to do the quest on the day, it saves them up...daily mean you get a quest every day) which rewards the player with 200 gold.

Well... whats it like then ?

Its good, looks like a typical Blizz game and runs reasonable even in this technical alpha stage.
It has balance issues and progression issues at the moment but these should get ironed out.
It doesnt have the competitive potential of a LoL or DOTA2 as it can be boring to watch, not so much player versus player as much as PvE with fights over some objectives.
It should appeal to those that like the idea of a LoL or DOTA2 type but want less of a individual player skill based system and more a team based / map awareness style game.
The heroes are quiet fun and have some interesting abilities, like Abathur is a odd hero that is so squishy he cant directly engage in battles but he can attach a symbiote to teammates , friendly NPCs and friendly buildings and assist with several abilities and he has a ultimate that lets him make a copy of a team mate and control that copy for a limited duration.

There is a decent diversification of current heroes that they all feel different and not just re skins of others ... even similar types like Sonya (female Barb) and Tyreal, both are jump in and hurt enemy types but play differently anyway.
You dont feel like you just need to sit at the back and do your job even as a support you are doing DPS, hell as a Tassadar I nearly match the Assassins in damage versus Heroes while supporting my team.

I would say its worth a look, it will be free 2 play so it wont cost much bar some time and maybe the old download limit but it isnt some cheap and nasty cash in on the DotA style, it has a fair bit of differences that make it somewhat in its own spot...same spot as the DotA's but a little to the side.
Last edited by Flare on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: [PC - F2P] Heroes of the Storm

Postby Flare on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Its another phase of the Alpha, and to be honest the game is fun but the means to gain new heroes is currently very long and grindy, which really is a shame as the overall game is actually pleasant if a bit more... relaxed ? Casual ?

Gone is last hitting, or a single player being below level...just being near a minion as it dies is good enough and there is no items to buy or skills to select... just talents which can either boost a skill or give you a new skill, this means team fights are go from level 1, and laning is something that is needed but cant be focused on.

The map variety is nice but at the same time the random selection of said maps can be annoying, I mean I for example do not like the pirate map and seem to get THAT map a LOT these days. Would love to be able to ...not play that map so often ?

Its still fun, just bloody pricey if you pay real cash for heroes and grindy if you try go the gold route.... not bad and worth a look as a free to play title.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Security on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Ah yeah I wish I had Alpha access as this game interests me allot.

I don't like the idea of having to unlock skills for a hero first when you play with them as simply makes you so much more useless... I do understand them wanting to limit the options for new players but Smite has solved that more elegantly with there auto-skill and auto-buy systems.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Security on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Look at what I found in my mailbox:

I have no idea why they invited me in the first place (let alone on my alt account) but I am not going to complain. :D

Edit: I read an interesting piece of news for HotS, if a person that is in the Alpha reaches level 20 before 18-11-2014 they will gain the ability to invite all there friends on there Battle.net friends list to the Alpha. I recruited my brother to help me reach level 20 asap. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Glad you got an invite there, and I heard the same but I read it was a auto enrol to a random chance to be allowed to invite your friends list. I got to 20 but don't have anyone on my list to see if they all got an invite.

I just want to add that dont get discouraged by some initial match ups, there isnt a huge playerbase in the game yet so match making mishaps will happen and often players will quit mid match when THEY feel its over (rage rage rage).
Try not to see the game as a Dota or LoL game, rather see it as a team brawler where team fights and map objectives are more common than 10 - 15 min lane phase.
There is some laning to be done in Heroes but not through last hitting but rather through having a presence in the lane when enemy minions die, the shared experience means as long as there is one player near that minion when it dies the team gets exp so its good to have at least one player in each 'lane' initially and roam for objectives.
Deathballing (5 man group and push a lane down) is pretty common but you can 3 man hold a deathball while keeping a presence in each lane.
Comebacks is quiet common in Heroes so an initial loss can easily be turned to victory as the comeback features are pretty strong, and without items + gold + individual exp the level difference doesnt equate to a overpowering difference in power... a hero is still a hero and not to be under estimated even if you have 2 - 3 levels advantage (ie no such thing as a fed carry).

The heroes themselves all seem to be useful and good choices but some have rather niche roles and can seem worthless initially, like Gazlowe for example... useless nearly for team fights, does minimal hero damage but is a monster at taking merc camps and NPC based objectives (he kills NPC's very well, his Ultimate tears through NPC's and Structures).
Sonya is another example, she seems to be a squishy tank but she is very effective at latching onto and pulverising squishy assassins but can seem weak if you play her like a typical tank.
The stealth mechanic may seem op, permanent stealth as a trait on Nova and Zeratul just needs to be out of combat and hey presto you cant be targeted... except by AoE and skill shots that dont need a target, and there is a visible shimmer when you move about in stealth so its not 100% stealthy, and those heroes are squishy as hell.
Just keep an eye out for the shimmer, and dont wander about at low HP alone,

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Urinator on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:41 am

Got the invite for closed beta, this game any good? Used to play LoL a little bit, it was ok.

Urinator
Recruit Member

Player: Urinator3000
STEAM_0:0:6849357

Postby Security on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Never played LoL, couldn't be bothered getting into DOTA2 and played a bit of Smite before I went to HotS in the Alpha and I am still liking it allot. Just don't take it too seriously as in unranked you will constantly be matched with noobs worse then me. :P
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Binerexis on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:48 pm

I've heard that it's almost like Smite and LoL had a baby together with interesting things on the different maps and that I should play Thrall all the time.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Its more like removed parts of a MOBA and emphasising team battles and objectives with quiet a few map types (though mostly sticking to the lanes and minions format with various objectives varying from paying a pirate coins to bombard your enemy, to nabbing skulls to power up your teams golem, to collecting seeds to control a plant monster, or shrines that shoot lasers at your foes structures, or free and control a dragon knight to storm your opponents).
Individual EXP in a match... gone.
Individual gold / currency in a match... gone.
Instead you have team wide exp, and talents which open up at set levels so you still have to soak up as much exp as possible to get access to talents faster than your opponent yet dont have that one or two heroes is powered up while the others fall off the pace... a support can just as easily farm a lane as an assassin.

Its simpler than traditional MOBA types but does have a subtle level of depth to master to really be good, mastering soaking up exp with roaming to gank or take objectives can make or break a team, sometimes a good team can be all over the map as in soaking EXP and at objectives while taking camps... somehow.
The apparent simplicity hides the level of complexity, so a new player will not have such a imposing task of learning so much but by the time that player is level 30 most would of learnt a surprising amount of tricks through experience and changes the play style from the simpler games with new players, to hero league matches.

Thrall was OP at launch, but has been toned down considerably... initially he could walk into a fight with a third of his HP and walk off with full HP due to his crazy sustain through simply using his abilities (not a heal ability but a passive that heals after x amount of charges when using abilities)... his Windfury ability alone could count for 3, and his lightning could hit multiples which would proc multiple charges to his passive and initial launch Thrall had access to Battle Momentum which decreases CD on each auto attack except Windfury counts as a auto attack and with a talent could hit 3 times...
... it was crazy, now he has a lot of DPS but his sustain was toned down a bit.

The game is fairly easy to learn and get into (once you get a beta invite / buy in of course), especially if you have MOBA experience but it does have its own peculiarities to master and at the moment the community is fairly docile with some ragers, but a largish issue with AFK and Leavers which can be frustrating.
I wouldnt buy in at the moment unless you REALLY love the heroes in the game, but it is worth while checking out if you get an invite or when it goes open beta.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Urinator on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:37 am

Tried it last night and I liked it. The different missions in different maps makes it a bit more interesting and it's a lot more casual and easier to learn than LoL. Also the matches don't seem to take that long which is a big plus. Everyone just seems to be complete noobs in this game tho.

Urinator
Recruit Member

Player: Urinator3000
STEAM_0:0:6849357

Postby S.O.Sniper on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I've started playing this (after having a beta invite for over a month), and I like it a lot. I've tried jumping head-first into DOTA and the steep learning curve put me off, but this is much more accessible.

I feel, though, like I'll probably end up using this as a stepping stone to eventually playing DOTA, since I'm not a huge fan of certain things like the shared XP since it leads to very even Hero levels between teams (which is less fun to me).
S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Postby Binerexis on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:06 pm

If you ever want help with DOTA, give me a shout. More than happy to advise and coach.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Anyone looking for a Heroes key to get in to the beta? I just got 4 keys from Blizzard (and could even get a 5th one). Just pm me.
Last edited by Security on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 am

I also seem to have 4 keys available, so pm me as well if you need one.

( 4 keys remaining )

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Tell you what, the game is a bit fun. Not so pleased at how long it's going to take to be able to buy a hero, though.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Dauntless on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I have 4 keys as well, pm me if you want one.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby Binerexis on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 am

Y'know, we should really add each other as friends for that sweet bonus.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Dauntless on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 am

Anyone feel free to add me.

Dauntlesskun#2983
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby Binerexis on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:45 am

Binerexis#2922

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:32 pm

FlareUKCS#2725

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor