EU URL: http://eu.battle.net/heroes/en/
Title : Heroes of the Storm
Genre : MOBA / DOTA / LoL style
Platforms : Currently PC only
What is it ?
A DOTA2 / LoL style game coming from Blizzard (dont know when at the moment).
It will be a free 2 play title that will have a in game store to buy cosmetics or rush buy heroes which could be bought by in game gold.
It uses the same free hero rotation style used in LoL to let you access 5 - 7 heroes, and you need to unlock to own permanently.
So.. another LoL / DOTA2 ?
Yes... and no, mostly no.
It does a lot of things differently :
- Cant select map, maps are (currently) randomly selected - may change dont know yet.
- Maps have a core theme and objective, standard MOBA tactics dont work so well.
- Last hitting is virtually removed, only a limited number of talents or traits require you to actually last hit,
- EXP is team wide no matter who gets the kill / objective.
- Players start off with all their none ultimate skills unlocked, and skills scale rather than get upgraded like other DotA type.
- There is no item shop, builds are created via choosing talents at various levels, each tier will offer 2 - 4 options. You cannot unselect talents for that match.
- Towers and other defensive building (except Core (final structure)) have a limited ammo count and can run out in battle.
- NPC camps are very important, in fact it is a viable tactic to evade team fights and capture merc camps instead forcing the enemy team to deal with waves of strong NPCs.
- Players have a level, which at the moment is rather bare of rewards.... initially some gold, unlock quests , free rotation hero slots , then more gold rewards for the last parts.
- Each hero the player plays have a level to progress in, initially these unlock talents and 2nd ultimate (on most heroes).
- There is no kill stealing as a kill equally rewards all players irrespective of their participation in that kill.
- There is (currently) no all chat , cannot speak to the enemy team at all.
- There is (currently) no post or pre match lobby.
- Players select their hero (or select random) then search for a match, random hero tries to choose a hero type to suit the team.
- Players are given a daily quest (dont need to do the quest on the day, it saves them up...daily mean you get a quest every day) which rewards the player with 200 gold.
Well... whats it like then ?
Its good, looks like a typical Blizz game and runs reasonable even in this technical alpha stage.
It has balance issues and progression issues at the moment but these should get ironed out.
It doesnt have the competitive potential of a LoL or DOTA2 as it can be boring to watch, not so much player versus player as much as PvE with fights over some objectives.
It should appeal to those that like the idea of a LoL or DOTA2 type but want less of a individual player skill based system and more a team based / map awareness style game.
The heroes are quiet fun and have some interesting abilities, like Abathur is a odd hero that is so squishy he cant directly engage in battles but he can attach a symbiote to teammates , friendly NPCs and friendly buildings and assist with several abilities and he has a ultimate that lets him make a copy of a team mate and control that copy for a limited duration.
There is a decent diversification of current heroes that they all feel different and not just re skins of others ... even similar types like Sonya (female Barb) and Tyreal, both are jump in and hurt enemy types but play differently anyway.
You dont feel like you just need to sit at the back and do your job even as a support you are doing DPS, hell as a Tassadar I nearly match the Assassins in damage versus Heroes while supporting my team.
I would say its worth a look, it will be free 2 play so it wont cost much bar some time and maybe the old download limit but it isnt some cheap and nasty cash in on the DotA style, it has a fair bit of differences that make it somewhat in its own spot...same spot as the DotA's but a little to the side.