Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [Multi]Overwatch

Postby Binerexis on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Is this bloody game out yet?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Salva on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Trell wrote:Must be nice to get into the beta.

Your crying made me feel bad as I hadn't played in almost 3 weeks, So I had a game earlier and here it is for you to cry over now :)

Not the best game, but for almost 3 weeks off and a first game back I'm happy with the result!

I played Tracer on Defense and for anyone who hasn't followed Overwatch Tracer is best compared to the scout from TF2 but instead of fast move speed, double jump and a shotgun she has average move speed 2 machine pistols, 3 blink charges that recharge one every 3 seconds, an ability named Recall that rewinds her to her position from 3 second previous with the ammo and health she had then. Aswell as an ultimate ability thats basically a timed sticky grenade that deals 150 damage.

I find shes best used to divert the enemy teams attention and when possible get the odd kill. As the games only 6v6 if your dodging around the back line harassing a support hero, someones going to have to stop and try to take care of you and the more you harass the more players have to move away from the objective to deal with you and if 2 out of 6 are focusing you that makes a big difference.

Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Shuriken on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:09 pm

*throws chairs at wall*

I want to play!

*kicks desk over*
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Binerexis on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

When is it that the pre-order access starts? May? I'm really tempted to buy into it.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:22 pm

I read somewhere that the early access (beta) will start around 2 or 3 May and a week later it will open up for all public. The actual release is on the 24th of May I think.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Security on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Well I just got my early access key's for the game. :D

Edit: It seems that you can claim, download and install the game but the servers aren't responding... I fear I still have to wait till the 3rd. :(
I had hoped to play Overwatch this weekend.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Flare on Sun May 01, 2016 11:58 am

Me too, got the mail with my key and installed the game, hit the play...and nope.avi

What a tease :P

Yeah yeah I know they SAID the 3rd and it ain't the 3rd, I just hoped they were sneaking keys out so the number of players would ramp up slower than all in one on the 3rd :P
Guess I am happy the game is pre-loaded so to speak... ah well :roll:
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby EWJ on Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm

A very friendly chappy ( who i now own a kitty to) has given me an early access key. WOOT!
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Salva on Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Wiki Link to all the heroes
http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Heroes

Video showcasing all the heroes abilities - well worth watching if you havn't played the game yet just to get an idea of who does what!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Sr6-32QZ8

Mei and D'Va arn't in it as far as I'm aware as they were only added recently so theirs are below, bastions ultimate is also no longer a sentry drone, he now goes into a tank form and can roll round shooting a cannon.

Mei
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hB88uMY8k

D'Va
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3TISLTVyc
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Salva on Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 pm

And now my rant of knowledge from the beta on team compositions.

I played alot of comp games and tournaments during beta, setups were generally 2 - 2 - 2. or 1 - 2 - 3 but this could change on the fly during the map depending what was needed.

2 Support
2 Tank
2 offense/Defense

Occasionally switching to
1 support
2 Tank
3 Offense / Defense

Supports.
Lucio was generally in every team comp as the core support, then switching between mercy and Symmetra for the second.
Lucio's passive heal over time and mobility whilst still retaining the ability to shoot, makes him hard to kill for flankers such as Genji and Tracer, whilst his ult allows a team to push a point or defend an on coming attack with a major boost of health.

Mercy is a solid support, but with no real offensive capabilities of her own, think TF2 medic but with a gun you can switch from healing to damage boost on the fly.

Symmetra and Zenyetta were core picks at their own retrospective points during beta but both got nerfed in the final month of beta and fell off slightly but both still have their place.

Tanks
Reinhardt is the general number 1 tank pick, his shield allows the team to advance through chokes on attack or on defense hold chokes, his ult is a cone knockdown in front of him which can easily lead to a team wipe.

Zarya or Winston were normally the number 2 pick for a tank, Winston's his jump allows him to either close the gap on snipers quickly or jump onto a point and deploy his shield.
Zarya can deploy a shield on herself and teammates that blocks damage and boost hers but her ultimate ability blackhole can be the real game changer.

Defense
Only defense heroes really played in comp were Widowmaker or Mei With the occasional pick up of Junkrat for aoe spam.
Widowmaker for a solid sniper and her wallhack ultimate then Mei for crowd control, her wall allows you to hold chokes and split teams for easy kills.

Offense
Now it becomes very situational.
Genji, Reaper and Tracer are all solid flankers. In points in beta teams were running two tracers on certain maps akin to the old 2 scout TF2 tactics. Reaper also has the added benefit of high point blank DPS making him very good at taking out tank heroes also.

Pharah comes with a rocket launcher and knock back rocket, generally picked up on maps with ledges to blast people off or maps with tight control points. Also a good pick up if the other team lacks A Mcree or Soldier 76 as whens shes hovering in the air most other heroes will have trouble killing her.

Soldier 76 and Mcree are both solid DPS characters, Soldier comes with the added benefit of an aoe heal and grenade.
Mcree's ultimate has the ability to cause a team wipe and his flash bang stun makes him great for taking out flankers such as tracer, the stun locks them in place then you can right click to unload all 6 revolver shots point blank in their face.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby EWJ on Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 am

Sander did well here, other team seemed a bit slow starting.
Last edited by Nish on Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded video
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Salva on Tue May 03, 2016 8:32 am

Good round a soldier! Brilliant all round hero, can be so useful on every map

One thing to note, Kill feed is off my default, Nish doesn't have it on in his video. Well worth turning it on in options > gameplay
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Nish on Tue May 03, 2016 10:17 am

Didn't realize people were following my youtube...

I turned on the killfeed, as I had no idea about it until you told me, Salva.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby 13th Nightmare on Tue May 03, 2016 11:20 am

I didn't know about the kill feed either until just now.

Played a couple of rounds as Torbjorn and I find him a enjoyable character to play as. He felt a bit like an Engineer in TF2 who has went down the route of the gunslinger, but more improved, I could go out and kill the enemy myself without the help of the turret. Also liked the ability to pick up scrap and throw it down as armor packs for my team. And the fact that even if the turret starts attacking you then it isn't immediate death.
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Binerexis on Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 am

Bit of a long-shot but does anyone have a spare early-access beta key lying around? I sadly wasn't paid in time to pre-order it before the 29th and I'd love to try out the game sooner rather than later.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Tue May 03, 2016 5:27 pm

This is my RAW impressions, ie exactly what I was thinking at the time during my first couple of games...

- WTF I got kicked out of a training map for taking too long ?

- Symmatra is pretty cool... but useless as a support on a attacking map...except for teleport, that is cool.

- I wanted to play Bastion... what the fuck he can get sniped so easily, doesnt that fucking Widowmaker have anyone else to shoot, ah fuck it this hero is useless...

- Why the fuck is THIS Bastion able to kick arse, why hasn't HE got a personal Widowmaker sniping HIM all the fucking time, look the bastard got play of the game.

- Being Mercy is a pain , its a big come kill me flag ...and why doesn't the wings work half the time ? The ultimate sucks when your team is being picked off 1 by 1 all over the map.

- I want to try Hanzo I was pre-match skirmishing with him, this other dude joins and now there are 2 Hanzo's ...

- Oh thats a deadfall, got it..

- Why is this wall unclimable ?

- Ah fuck it Hanzo vs Genji is no fun... going Soldier76

- Shurikens beat assualt rifle...got it, eat Helix rocket and ninja that shit.

- Reinhart looks tanky, a 6 shooter kills him... a Junkrat kicks his arse ?

- Oh lovely tip... get above JunkRat, he is not so effective shooting up... to a Reinhart, yeah hang on I am looking for my fairy wings and tutu...

- Dont like this match system... its like random servers and players every few minutes...

... need moar beer to get through this games early game :P

Overall though it ran well enough, and most of my issues are more 'learn to play' than anything... I dont enjoy all the sniper/fast kills though especially as the maps have so many paths... guess I need to learn the maps before I can really say much about that though.
I preferred TF 2 vanilla in beta to this beta, it swaps maps too fast, too few players per team, TTK is too fast, etc etc.
It is a bit of a snipe fest though...

... back into the fray.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Was able to play a match yesterday and rather enjoyed it.

I think I'll find it more interesting once I know what all the characters do and how to best utilise them. I can't shake the thought that some will be considered standard whilst others get left in the dust, though.

I also need to rebind the keys, mostly to do with the chat (activate voice on '? Really? How can you feasibly use ' in the middle of a skirmish?). Thankfully they allow for multiple binds to one action so it should all be solvable albeit a tad time consuming.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby 13th Nightmare on Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Decided to play a few rounds as a support class and Mercy seemed to be the one that fitted the bill for me. Plays a lot like the Medic but now I don't have to choose between what medi-gun to take with me seeing as her staff does both healing and increasing of damage. And her ultimate is a good game changer as well, your team can go from 2 bodies dead to all 6 alive and kicking in a heartbeat.
I took an instant liking to her during one match. My team was on the losing end of a King of The Hill match so I decided to switch to Mercy and we went from having 8% on the point to them having 99% on the point to us winning the round. We just all ganged up on the point and I healed everyone left right and center. Don't think much of her secondary though but guess she is more suited to the role of healing/support than actually killing anyone.
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby nevvy on Wed May 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Got a beta key from salva, thanks mate!

First impressions are good. I've not bothered with many of the heroes yet, but spending plenty of time in the doom beta set me up nicely for the rocket-woman. I think this could be a game that I could happily sink hundreds of hours into, it could be really good. However, I also thought the same about brink, dirty bomb and star wars battlefront which all failed to scratch my team based FPS itch (an itch that has been going since I stopped playing TF2 some years ago...)

Time will tell if this has the depth and longevity to keep me hooked, but for now it's a shooter that requires tactics and teamwork, it's fun to kill people and it runs smoothly. Most importantly it has points to stand on and carts to push :cheers: NOMNOM

Standing on the point since beta Retired pointstander
nevvy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Nevvy
STEAM_0:0:5372127

Postby 13th Nightmare on Wed May 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Might need to come out of retirement then. The points in Overwatch won't stand on themselves
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat