[Multi]Overwatch

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [Multi]Overwatch

Postby EWJ on Thu May 05, 2016 11:45 am

Main issue I have is the lack of communication in teams.. Hell most people dont even seem to be on comms.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Binerexis on Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 am

I'm still really thankful that Flare chucked a key my way!

Played a few rounds last night and I'm starting to get the hang of some more characters. It's feeling very reminiscent of my early TF2 days as I'm learning how to best play dudes by getting my ass handed to me.

Comms was strong on the first day as they often are due to people getting excited. I'm hoping to see more people on comms now that it's open to everyone and as folk figure out how to re-bind the keys. It's a fun game for pew pew but WAY better with co-ordination. I've also found some issues with the voice comms in game as, for some reason, it doesn't always activate and seems that it MUST be on a keyboard key as Mouse 3 didn't work for me at all for comms even though it works fine for melee.

Biggest tip I can give so far is that holding down C (by default) opens up a comms menu. Hover over an option, release C, you do the thing. "Group up on me" is a very quick-and-dirty way to tell people to stack on the god-damned point for a capture and people seem to realise communication is a thing once one person does it. My hopes are that after a few games of not shutting the hell up and insisting hat people stand on the point, it'll spread around the community like a virus.

I tried to play the game mode where it gives you a random hero every respawn but, at least last night, no one was queuing for it and I was looking at a 20 minute wait. It's a pity as I think that could be a good way to at least get a little grounding knowledge of each character.

I'd love it in the future to see more maps, more variety in the maps and specific queuing for certain map types (even if it's just for the one map, I swear I played 3 point captures in a row last night when I really wanted to try payload).

In the end screen, I saw that you can rate the match but I have no idea what it accomplishes. I think it could be to help gauge and improve the matchmaking so, if you can, remember to rate all your matches when they end. Also, does anyone know what commending people does? I've not had many so far as it seems most people tend to commend they guy with the best KDR and I'm a disgusting Junkrat suicide bomber and I don't want to miss out on any potential sweet swag that the perma-sentry Bastion players are maybe getting.

All in all, I'm still enjoying it and best of all, I've not seen any character come across as horribly broken. Only thing I'd like to have looked into at the moment is that beefy characters take years to get to places at the start of the round and don't always get to the right place during start-up unless they have a Lucio.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Nish on Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 am

Sinking way too many hours into this game, so far really enjoying tanking.

Recommended tactic: Team Smasher - Reinhardt, Mercy and Zenyatta.

Mercy buffs Reinhardt whilst Zenyatta E's the enemies down.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby Synaphix on Sat May 07, 2016 4:28 pm

I had two accounts with beta but skipped trying it until the official release. I gave in as my brother wanted to see what it was like and I just cannot get used to it. I'm a Quake 3 Arena player (still play) and just cannot get used to this slow gameplay unfortunately.

The game itself looks good but I gave up after two maps and to be honest, it just feels like everything else out in this genre and nothing special.
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby Shuriken on Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 am

Had a few games, initial impressions were good but it's not particularly satisfying gameplay. Dunno if I expected too much from it or that Paladins scratched the itch but I probably won't be splashing out for this one.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Salva on Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 pm

i keep seeing people crying about how Junkrat takes no skill, I keep directing them to this clip.

Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Binerexis on Mon May 09, 2016 12:55 pm

People are always going to complain about Junkrat so long as he keeps dropping grenades on death and people fail to learn to avoid them.

I liked the beta a lot but I'm on the fence for a full purchase. It's very difficult to co-ordinate with people on your team sometimes which means that you can end up losing due to small, silly mistakes (the number of people who keep chasing down kills rather than pushing a payload is staggering). I feel like they also need to tinker with their matchmaking a bit more before full release as I was often matched with people of my level on my team versus a team twice our level which wasn't too fun.

I'm going to use the couple of weeks before full release as a test phase. If I feel the itch for it and wish I could still play it, I'll buy it. If I forget about it, I won't.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Mon May 09, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm the same way. I don't see myself rushing out to buy it, but at some point I'll inevitably pick it up.

All I really know is that the only characters I need to play to be happy are Reaper and Winston.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby Binerexis on Tue May 10, 2016 11:46 am

What I'll likely end up doing is just buying the base game next week or something so I can justify it as "Well, I might not play it every single day but it's good fun and cost me less than <LATEST ALTERNATIVE BLIZZARD PROPERTY>".

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Dauntless on Tue May 10, 2016 6:56 pm

I really enjoyed it, well my time playing it on the PS4, tried that first before I fount out it runs on any old toast on PC. On the PC I didn't enjoy it as much, maybe I had a really bad couple of hours but the teams were awful and no team play whatsoever. Not sure if i'll buy it though.

When is this Beta supposed to end? It's still online atm.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 11, 2016 7:49 am

Weird, it was supposed to end on the 9th. Maybe it was still live yesterday because of trying to make it end at a proper time in the US timezeone? Who knows.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Wed May 11, 2016 9:53 am

They put an announcement out at the weekend that it had been extended and was set to end on the 10th (yesterday) at 18:00BST.

Some people managed to keep playing for over an extra hour, as they started taking servers down at 18:00 but didn't get them all down for over an hour.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Curses, wish I knew about that to get another map or two in.

Still, it's released in two weeks. Can't decide if it's worth getting the medium-fancy pre-order because, on one hand, I'm not a fan of pre-orders and I won't get the benefit of the cross-Blizz game stuff because I don't play on them. On the other hand, skins.

I have been far too conditioned by TF2 and CSGO to want skins.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Rico on Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Overwatch releases in 4 and a half hours! \o/ :D

Rico#2593
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Postby Flare on Tue May 24, 2016 5:49 pm

I am already getting annoyed with the game... its matchmaking and no server is causing me issues.

My first game on official launch, loss 20 sec after joining a match... barely chose a hero and DEFEAT, then back to searching not enough players, 2nd match 10 sec in VICTORY , LEVEL 2, LOOT BOX... I shot 3 bullets, into the air ...fun.
Got a full match after, a win but not satisfying... I select Soldier 76 as I am not yet comfortable with the maps to play the really fancy ones like Tracer... some other dick picks 76, now I could go FU and ignore or pick for the team.... ended as Mei, but got picked on :P

So far, I am not even into a full can of beer and Heroes of the Storm is looking very attractive </3

EDIT: the more I play the more I feel this is a bad imitation of Valves TF2 ... the 'skins' are mere colour tints, the maps have too many little side paths and make it confusing, Valve made their maps easy to understand but left just enough to reward exploring... Overwatches maps have too many paths so you get overwhelmed from all angles and just get pissed off while trying to learn... Valve mastered the balance of adding enough to master but leaving enough for the beginner.
The weapons and abilities have too many control removals, and 'oh shit I cant do a thing' situations, Valves initial TF2 game there was always something... even if it was difficult.

... and Overwatch has Bastion, the hero that can sit in a spot and do nothing for 6 minutes and be a hero at the end, and its all good :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby EWJ on Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 am

Been playing the brawl bit.. Find it enormous fun.. having everyones abilities come up super fast while having huge health is great craic. loads of different tactics need to be deployed.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 25, 2016 5:27 pm

I appear to have lost all my talent in this game the second the beta closed.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Nish on Thu May 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Been playing this with some friends.

So far I've gotten to level 15 on my character and spendt a tiny bit of RL cash on loot boxes.

I am really looking forward to playing the competitive mode once it releases in late june. Just have to grind up to level 25 first.

Remember that playing in a group of friends gives you a 20% exp boost.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby Flow'Tastix on Fri May 27, 2016 9:24 am

Played it and its awesome cool game, objective style most likely and tons of different characters each with their own ability's i game i like to play very much aswell!!
But on the long run your waiting for new updates new maps and new customisations, but still very nice game to play, i was playing it when the beta was on and was free, now i bought the game,
and its even better :) :)
Flow'Tastix
Recruit Member

Player: Ṁʀ. Ƞοکĸіℓℓت⁉™
STEAM_0:1:14901425

Postby Flare on Fri May 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Getting better at the game but I dont think I will ever be comfortable with the match hosting systems, its really annoying to search for a match, find one but its nearly finished (because some loser ragequit before the end) and then after 10 - 20 secs either lose or win.... and then have to go back to searching because other players left after that match.

The game itself is quiet fun, I learnt something new ... Meis' ultimate , the little ball with eyes she throws can bounce off enemies.... I planned to toss the ulti on the point and then freeze myself safely, instead a random DVA dashed past me as I tossed the ulti and it bounced off her and landed behind me...and I was on the point and no ulti :P
Had a annoying match as it was basically over when I joined, I wanted to play some Hanzo... tried in the 2nd match but was bullied by a Pharah, so I went Widowmaker...and got bullied by a Reinhart who roamed behind my team all the time, that venom mine didn't do much to protect me there.
Ah well at least the enemy Bastion wasn't having fun parking on the payload, fully charged sniper shots ruined his play of the game potential... and while the enemy Reinhart was chasing me about, my team pushed the payload for the win :P

... and I think I better stop playing when I get back from the pub, I had several extra levels and a pile of skins and shite I dont remember seeing :scratch:
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat