[Multi]Overwatch

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [Multi]Overwatch

Postby Binerexis on Sun May 29, 2016 3:42 pm

I've found the matchmaking to be REALLY schizophrenic. Either it's a good match or a complete stomp, there's no middle ground. I'm also getting match with people who are level 40+ and I'm level 11. What. The hell.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Nish on Mon May 30, 2016 11:04 pm

According to the Overwatch twitter there are still a lot of new users that needs to get calculated an MMR. That's why it's so uneven currently.
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby Binerexis on Tue May 31, 2016 11:46 am

That makes a lot of sense although I think it's going to be difficult to calculate an MMR for people given that it's built around switching heroes/roles to suit the situation.

I'm also curious as to what rating a match when it's over actually does. So far, I've been rating it based on how much I've enjoyed it (i.e. I only rate it highly if it's a close match, rate it low for stomps even if I win) but I'd be surprised if we get anything specific in regards to that so folk don't try to game the system.

I've found I also really need to improve my Support game. I never seem to pick the right support for the situation so I don't think I'm helping my team too much (although, saying that, I'm still spending most of my time telling people to disregard kills for objectives).

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue May 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Binerexis wrote:I'm also curious as to what rating a match when it's over actually does. So far, I've been rating it based on how much I've enjoyed it (i.e. I only rate it highly if it's a close match, rate it low for stomps even if I win) but I'd be surprised if we get anything specific in regards to that so folk don't try to game the system.

I don't think it actually does anything at the moment. From what I've read you are using it the way Blizzard intended. Apparently it may do something in the future.

Lucio is love, Lucio is life. :P
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby Nish on Tue May 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Oh, I haven't even pressed one of those circles to vote yet. I don't think it does anything at all at the moment...
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Rating the match at the top positive or negative sends information back to the devs so they can look at feedback and improve matchmaking.

Voting for a player on the cards screen adds that person to your "preferred player list" so you are more likely to be matched with them in future.

You can also add people to either your preferred list or mark them as avoid manually by going into the social menu and clicking on them.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Salva on Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 pm

Patch notes to confirm my post above.

From the original November patch notes:

New “Rate This Match” and “Rate This Player” options have been added to the end-of-round flow
Rate This Match: These ratings are designed to provide the Overwatch development team with feedback about how much you enjoyed a match. This data will be used over time to improve matchmaking and the game in general.

Rate This Player: Positive and negative ratings can have an effect on how likely players are to be matched with one another in future games.

March 22nd Patch Notes:

Social Menu All social menu screens have been updated with new art A “Recent Players” list is now available The ability to “Rate Players” has been moved to the social menu (from the end-of-match screen) This means that players can rate their teammates at any time via the social menu, rather just at the end of a match Note: “Rate this Match” can still only be accessed via the end-of-match screen
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:47 am

Has anyone found a good solution to getting your team to go on the damn objective? My old TF2 methods aren't working.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby 13th Nightmare on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:26 pm

I'll let you know when it happens, Bin.

Decided to give GeForce Shadowplay a go and record some footage of me playing as Junkrat. What follows is the 1st match I used as a test for Shadowplay. Quite pleased with how this went and it reminded me how much I enjoyed playing as Junkrat in the beta

Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby jopo on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Add Jopo#1221 on bnet if any interest what so ever.

jopo
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Jopo
STEAM_0:1:5263882

Postby Security on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Nish wrote:Oh, I haven't even pressed one of those circles to vote yet. I don't think it does anything at all at the moment...

I only used it once when not only it was a steamroll but people on both teams were a-holes. I thought at some point in the beta you could also rate people, too bad I can't seem to find that option anymore.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Flare on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:04 am

The player rating is there but from the main menu, the social section where you can see players you recently played with/against and right click on them to set prefer to play again with or not play again.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Binerexis on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:59 am

I'd just like to announce that I've been really enjoying pissing people off as Junkrat lately. I am THAT player.

That is all.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Wow, I am starting to actually hate this game ... not dislike it, or think its overhyped, but actually hate it...

I am on a massive losing streak, I have no idea what to do... I take counter heroes (WidowMaker to kill Bastions) , Tanks and healers as needed, I switch as needed but I cant carry a whole match myself.
I was rocking one match as Pharah, but a Bastion was giving the team issues... I wondered what had happened to our WidowMaker, moron had only swapped to Pharah... I had to swap out to deal with the Bastion but ran out of time.
I went to chill a few minutes, calm down, its a game... next match, my team had a level 3 and a level 4 ...enemy team had level 37's and higher, I took Reinhart to tank the mess that was incoming. I sat in front of a Torb turret blocking its damage output waiting for someone to kill the turret, but only a Tracer was brr brr'ing at the thing and running in front of my shield... I looked to see if we had someone that could take out turrets, both a Hanzo and WidowMaker... didn't see either though.

... what the hell is level 3 and level 4 players doing in a match at my level , 25 ? I know levels dont mean more power, but more experience helps a lot.

EDIT: AAAANNNNDDD...straight after typing this complaint , I tried another match...

... seriously wtf can I do ?

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Matchmaking is still in a weird place at the moment but I think it's a priority for tweakage in the next patch. I've experienced stomp-whiplash myself but not enough to make me hate it.

Personally, I wouldn't say Widowmaker is a really good counter against Bastion mainly because his weak "HEADSHOT HERE" button is on his back when in turret mode. Roadhog is tanky enough to approach and hook him out of his sentry mode so long as you're quick. Pharah is a good choice because big booms from long range (works well with turrets, too). D.Va ult works well against him as it forces him to move and she can absorb his bullets which is good if your team can follow up on it. Mei can block off his line of fire which is good for moving around him but that's not so much of a counter but more a tactic to get around anyone camping an area. Junkrat can do GODLY amounts of damage to a set up Bastion and comes with the bonus of being able to hit him from outside his line of sight if you can bounce your grenades.

My personal favourite counter to Bastion is Genji. Approach Bastion, let him shoot at you, activate deflect, watch Bastion kill himself. The best part about this one is it doesn't rely on your team to do anything at all to get rid of him, you just need to get relatively close and let him shoot you.

Personally, I'm still having trouble with people not getting behind my magic blue rectangle when playing as Reinhardt, people not doing the objective and having two or more snipers on attack (which could MAYBE work if they weren't hanging back and camping... whilst on attack). I've noticed, also, that there are so many people unwilling to switch at any point in the game which is infuriating because that's what you're supposed to do; adapt to fit the situation.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flare on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 am

Well , Widow is a good anti Bastion hero as she just needs to 1 charged shot + 1 quick scoped shot to kill a Bastion in sentry mode, and its quiet easy to do... peek shoot , peek shoot.
Pharah though is situational as you need really long range to avoid getting shot to death before your rockets hit, and a decent Bastion is not going to be out in the open trying to cover long ranges as the spread is too much at long range.

I had a good match as Genji last night, one of my rare attempts with him and I had fun, especially when I deflected a Widows headshot back at her, it wasn't even luck as I saw her and waited a sec for her to spot me before hitting deflect.
Tried Zarya as well, and quiet liked it but had a rather odd player on Mercy, as in I shielded her and approached a torb sentry to destroy it and charge my shield and wondered where my heals were, nope Mercy had ran off leaving me san's healing in front of a turret... not credit to team.

PotG is a mess as well as MM, had some matches where I was sure I just won it for the team and get PotG... only for a JunkRat to get it by getting 2 fools in the RipTyre ... one match I had a triple kill with Zarya where I marched onto the point, and ... politely asked the enemy to leave :P
Pharah got the PotG for a double kill on McCree and someone else with rockets... go figure :scratch:

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Security on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Binerexis wrote:I'd just like to announce that I've been really enjoying pissing people off as Junkrat lately. I am THAT player.

That is all.

Same. Also getting the flick shots on a Tracer warping around you is pretty satisfying, I am seeing more and more Tracers switching when they keep getting killed by me. :D
Now if only I could get the hang of airshotting Pharah's...

My biggest complaint would be that people seem to be too dumb to realize that maybe they should protect that healer that is getting jumped by enemies every time... And then there are the people that run away from the objective and team and then complain they didn't get healed... They are worse then the people who refuse to play a different class so you now have 3 Widows and a Hanzo on your team. X(

As for PotG it's indeed all kinds of broken, you constantly see people either ulting or simply killing 2 or 3 opponents and that is it while you know, seen and done things that are more suitable for it, but I guess it simply is hard to implement well with an automatic system that decides it.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Nish on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:59 pm

And here we go, competitive mode has been added to the game.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 pm

wish i'd spent less time screwing about in quick play with silly picks as Overwatch uses your hidden quickplay MMR in part of the calculation for your comp rank.

75% of my time in over watch has been in tournaments and custom games scrimming. I played comp on the PTR and as it had no quick play data to use i got ranked at 72. I done my placement games last night on the main client with 9 wins 1 loss and got 54 :( let the grind commence!

I don't foresee it being an issue as the group I play with have all climbed from the low 50's to the mid 60's in the last 24 hours but still a bummer.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Nish on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:38 pm

That is actually pretty decent though. I got a 6 - 4 in my placements and went to rank 51. Seems like they put you sub 60 to make you grind upwards.

So far, seems like CP maps are bugged and only gives you like a fifteenth of rankup points if you win.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Retreat