[Multi]Overwatch

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

Re: [Multi]Overwatch

Postby Salva on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 pm

It just took 4 wins to go from mid 54 to high 55.. I lost 1 game in sudden death and dropped back to the lower end of 54 :(

Thats brutal!
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Flare on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 am

I got 5 / 10 wins, and got ranked at 45 , won a match and it crawled up a tiny amount to 46 but that win was due to the enemy team mass quitting except for 1 guy who insisted in waiting till the end, so I figured the tiny increase was due to players leaving.
Lost one match up, and my progress regressed back to where it was, then I won a hard fought match... literally went full boss mode D.VA after we lost the first CP when my team went stupid (3 Reapers ? And Symettra on a CP), and was eager to see the rewards of my hard work, a tiny fraction as the bar crawled a bit towards 46.
I swear at this rate the season will be done before I get to 46, hell even getting all the skins in the game is probably easier to do than achieve '46'.

It doesn't help that players are leaving so often at hero select, don't know what the criteria was but my first 2 was leavers, won one due the enemy having leavers, had 2 more cancelled due to leavers, lost one, had 3 more cancelled and then had that hard earned win (with pitiful reward :P).
Leavers should get more of a penalty even if it is at hero select, its not fair on the other players if players are leaving to 'cherry pick' a composition, its damn annoying having everything reset especially when you get a few on mic and start discussing plans and ... player left, oh well so much for those plans.

The crates are getting me more annoyed than happy with my 'rewards' , had a skin drop in one was all happy until it revealed itself as a epic skin I ALREADY had (Huntress Widow IIRC), here's some more currency dude....oh and I got a currency drop as well.
How unlucky must you get to get a duplicate epic skin, at level 46, its not like I have a tonne of skins.
I also noted how few poses and emotes drop, I have a tonne of crappy sprays and re-colour skin jobs but maybe 2 - 3 emotes and poses (got JunkRats puppet emote, hilarious).

On the plus side, the comp matches do seem more evenly matched affairs so far, haven't stomped or been stomped... so far.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Dauntless on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 pm

I play on the PS4, I got it on that platform as my Son loves playing it.

I completed my placement matches with 6 wins. 2 of the 4 loses was due to leavers. I got placed at level 54.

The thing that winds me up is they base the match making on a team average (at least for the PS4). I've played 6 matches post placement and lost all 6 in spectacularly fail ways, im now level 49.... In 4 out of the six matches I had this set up or similar; Both teams average at level 49, the enemy team has players all either low 50's or high 40's. My team had mostly low 40's with 2 players mid-low 50's. Now I try to account for those players that have no intention of playing competitively but play the mode because of x,y,z. That doesn't explain why the placement matches were in general really well balanced and an enjoyable challenge but the actual post placement matches are awful.

Is communication good on PC? Seriously thinking about getting a copy on PC if anything so I can talk to/praise/berate players at will.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby Binerexis on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:26 pm

So... play with friends in competitive to remove bad teammates as a variable?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Dauntless on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:57 pm

None of my friends play it on PS4, like I said, I got it on that platform to keep my son happy. I was just venting tbh but I think my real gripe was more with the brutal rank drop of a loss compared to the gain of a win, especially considering your rank is destroyed in a loss because of your team and not your own actions. Also as a long time PC FPS gamer I do miss the player interaction and communication which is almost non-existent on the PS4 version. This and your point Bin is why I'm considering buying a PC copy.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Athrun_Talan on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:18 am

Got it on the PS4 as my girlfriend and I switch after each match, and she prefers controller to keyboard. Dauntless, if you fancy joining us (and another friend of ours, we play most evenings), you can find her PSN tag as rukias_revenge. When we're on with our mate (peppersandwich) we tend to play miced up.
Athrun_Talan
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Athrun Talan
STEAM_0:1:5275691

Postby Salva on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Sounding like an elitist wank here but I just got fucked by match making! It's happened a few times but now was the worst case.

My peak rank so far has been 72 which is/was at the time top 1% and top 500 on PC I at the time of this game was 68 which is top 2%,
I was in a party with a 72 and another 68, our three teammates were 54, 54 and 62... against a team of 66's to 71's

Fair enough we were the under dogs by 4 levels, But still I can't carry that as games around the high 70 bracket play alot differently to the 55 bracket. your going from top 1/2% skill wise to top 28% =/
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Security on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Binerexis wrote:So... play with friends in competitive to remove bad teammates as a variable?

That really is the only real solution, solo comp play is just not working.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Dauntless on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Its kind of evening itself out now, all the useless solo players are ranked below 40, all the half decent players that solo are between 40-50 and all the group players are 50+.

I'm averaging around rank 48 at the moment. Started 54 and dropped to 42 as my lowest before it started levelling off. I get the odd bad game but mostly it's not too bad now.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby EWJ on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:12 pm

LUCIO!!

God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Flare on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:28 pm

This game Competitive mode is a piece of shit, a pile of crap, a fever dream of some seriously drugged up retard...

After all the crap and bugs of the competitor launch I thought it stabilised...

Man was I deranged, I was rank 37 (after bugs costed me ranks from 46) , I WON a hard fought long battle 3 - 2 points, and remained 37, I was like that sucks but ok , then I lost a match 1 pt - 0 , literally they got a point then we failed to get that point...

... I went to rank 36.

I had all the result of the previous win wiped out and lost enough to lose my rank from 1 loss.

The first win I had to start 5 times, make my team 5 times, get it going 5 times and we won...

The loss we failed to capture the 1st point, and we failed to prevent the enemy from eventually nabbing it... we lose ranks ?

One last point, when we won the 1st match 3 - 2, my team was underdogs.

Overwatch competitve is a fever dream, and I hope someone bitchslaps Blizzard awake.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Binerexis on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 pm

This is what Blizzard does now.

They make a perfectly fun game and bow to public bleatings for a competitive mode whether it's viable or not.

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Security on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Next season some pretty big changes should be coming as they seem to realize the loss punishment etc. is not where it should be.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Honestly, my advice to everyone would be to just blanket avoid ranked for as long as possible. It will be a long, LONG time before it's anything close to what anyone would call stable.

To put it simply, there are too many people at Blizzard listening to too many fans giving input to the game. In my opinion, here's what they should have done:

[*] Create competitive in a vacuum

Ignore suggestions given by players through the whole range of "I play for shits and fits" and "I make money playing esports". Blizzard have access to the raw numbers and data, that's what they should work with. By all means, maximise fun but don't do it by bending to player demands.

[*] All changes to ranked happen in the PTR vacuum

The fact they went from "We don't want hero limits" to "We have introduced hero limits in the live client" so quickly after the release of competitive does not set a good precedent. It's not a viable environment to allow players to adapt to strategies or weed out what is truly OP from what players are struggling with because the game has only been out for a couple of months. Rolling stuff out to the live client that quickly is going to generate some severe gameplay whiplash which will lead to people de-ranking because they can't acclimate themselves to the changing environment. At the very least, if they want to continue with that practice, they need to separate out the changes between competitive and quickplay.

[*] Do NOT try and bend to the esports community

I know I already said they need to create competitive shit in a vacuum but changing the game in line with what an esport community dictates is a really quick way to stop a game being fun for people who don't want to play competitive. I've seen it happen most notably with League of Legends where the esports meta is not only catered to, it's enforced. It is extremely difficult in that game nowadays to assemble a team which doesn't fit the meta, allows you to have fun and gives you a chance of winning. I really want to see more things in Overwatch where they let things which aren't game-breaking flourish for a while to see what happens rather than immediately trying to make it more esports friendly/viable. Yes, I'm looking at you hero limits. Can stacking heroes be difficult to beat? Yes. Can it fail miserably? Yes. Can it be stopped with teamwork? Yes. Then leave it alone.

[*] Focus on competitive being fun for solo players

Overwatch is DEFINITELY a team game but people will always want to play solo in competitive even if it's not the best idea. You need to make sure it's fun for these solo players or it falls apart. Have a metric which tracks things they already record like time spent doing the objective or damage blocked so that even if you lose, you get SOMETHING out of it because the chances of you winning with a random rabble in the early stages is extremely low. There are a number of ways they could make it more fun for solo players but failing that, make it so competitive requires a full team of six. Players who really want to play competitive will go that extra step to group up, especially if there's some way of dealing with people who act like assholes. Granted, this is more than likely going to be third party which is a pain but hey, that's what you get when you make it impossible to trash-talk people in menus.

[*] Don't release competitive in an unfinished, untested state purely because people want it

Put it on the PTR. Let people get used to it. Work the kinks out. Flesh out rewards if you're going to have any. Only after you do ALL that should you even consider letting it go live, and I think their failure to do that is what has made so many people get so frustrated that they just don't bother with it.

As I said, this is just my ramblings about what I think could be improved. I think Blizzard surprised themselves with how popular the game is which has led to a lot of things being changed and botched too quickly. Most of this is me being Captain Hindsight, some of it is seeing people make the same damn mistakes over and over again in the twenty-plus years I've been gaming. If nothing else, I think we can all agree that Blizzard should know better by this point.

Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Salva on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:45 pm

I'm happy with the recent patch and changes to ranked myself but then again I play nothing but scrimms, tournaments and ranked but I feel it has now actually opened up the meta away 7/8 heroes.

I feel the hero limit and patch was long over due in coming. It had got to a point where playing in the 70 plus ranks and any kind of scrimming or tournament there were set hero compositions for each stage on each map the new patch does mix it up, more options are viable.

Previously for cap points / payload
Mercy had a 90% pick rate,
Lucio had an 80% pick rate.
soldier and pharah and rein zarya had a 60% pick rate.
with winston, roadhog and reaper having 40%

That was your meta right there - 8 heroes to chose from

Pre patch kings row defense was always going to be Mercy, soldier, rein, roadhog, reaper and either a lucio or symmetra
Last night alone I saw people taking D'Va, Mcree, Junkrat, zarya and zen again.

It also actually makes KOTH playable as before with no hero limit you could bet on any KOTH map team comp being 2 tracers, 2 lucios and 2 winstons.
I have had a single cap point on overtime for 8 minutes and there videos of over 15 minutes due to it becoming 6 v 6 tracer or 4 tracers 2 lucios.

I'm happier with the patch. I play competitive to win as winning for me is fun and now at least I can play more than 1 or 2 viable heroes when I do.

How this filters down to the less hardcore players at lower skill levels, I don't know. from games Id played with friends lower down nobody stuck to the meta anyway and played what they wanted, I don't see why that wont continue and people can always avoid ranked and play quick play or training till the get used to the patch anyway.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Dauntless on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:49 pm

Personally I would like to see two separate comp modes, one for solo and one for groups. The one for solo should have less of a kick in the balls for a loss or more of a benefit to objective players.

For a while it seemed solo comp had levelled out on PS4 but since the introduction of Ana (I've been offline a few weeks for holiday) people/idiots have taken it upon them selves to learn how to play Ana during a comp match. You might as well have a 6v5 on some maps when someone does that. Best one yet was Dorado when as attackers we had 2 Ana's, one Widow and 1 Hanzo... Sufficed to say That silly cow Ana has cost me 3 ranks already and I've only been back off holiday a few days. On the flip side we did have a decent Ana once, really helpful and even secured the last point on Kings row attacking!

I now play Quick play at the weekends to reduce stress and Comp during the week. Mostly because Quick Play is renamed "Long Wait" during the week, typically up to 5 mins for a match, as every man and his retarded dog plays comp during the week.

On a lighter note - 1000 posts! :cheers:
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Previous

Return to Gamer's Retreat