[PC - Tactical J-RPG]Valkyria Chronicles

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - Tactical J-RPG]Valkyria Chronicles

Postby S.O.Sniper on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:17 am

This was released 6 years ago as a PS3 exclusive and I wanted to play it ever since, then forgot about it. Then SEGA announced a couple weeks ago that they're porting it to PC (apparently an online petition played a part) and it actually releases in a couple days.

It's currently £13.49 on pre-order and, unless it's a terrible port (already 720/1080p support confirmed which is promising), it really should be worth a look.

Set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of the 1930s, Valkyria Chronicles depicts Europe divided in two and ruled by two super powers: the Empire and the Federation. The Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, situated in the middle of the two superpowers territories, in an attempt to secure invaluable natural resources. Within this struggle a hero named Welkin, and his fellow soldiers of the Federation's 7th Platoon, are fighting back against the invasion and the Empires attempts to unify the continent under its power.

During the ensuing war the Federation discovers that the Empire possesses a secret weapon, known as the "Valkyria" - an ancient race with special powers thought to exist only in legends. With this new discovery the fate of the Federation's ability to turn the tide of the war, and the hope for a better future, hang in the balance.

“CANVAS” graphics engine: A unique engine that produces breath taking images that look like watercolour paintings in motion.
“BLiTZ” tactical battle system: Experience strategic manoeuvring of units combined with conventional RPG gameplay, all layered on top of the moment to moment action afforded by real-time controls as players command each squad member and tank in battle.
Epic storyline: Players will immerse themselves in the epic struggle for freedom, as the fate of the world lies in the hands of Welkin and the members of the 7th platoon.
Customisation: Over 100 customisable characters allow players to create a variety of platoons to suit each battle’s needs.
Beautifully rendered battlefields: Players explore 30 different environments, using unique terrain features to gain advantages in battle.

Additionally this brand new PC digital version comes bundled with all previously released DLC, including:

Hard EX Mode (harder versions of skirmish missions in the main game)
Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” (a side story campaign)
Selveria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” (a side story campaign)
Challenge of the Edy Detachment (six challenge missions)

Videos:

S.O.Sniper
Home Member

Re: [PC - Tactical J-RPG]Valkyria Chronicles

Postby Silent Image on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Great game, very pleased to see it on PC so the master race can enjoy it now.
Silent Image
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: SilentImage
STEAM_0:0:7831462

Postby Shuriken on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:50 pm

This looks awesome :D
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Not a bad game, enjoying it quiet a bit at the moment.
Somewhat simplistic but quiet engrossing at the same time, and the troops have some character so it ain't spawn#234274 that died there its <name> who was <personality trait>... makes you rather annoyed when that enemy scout pops out the grass and takes out one of your own.

Some issues, minor irritants is the controls, mostly outside the actual combat missions... why couldn't they allow you to mouse control through the menus and tabs, arrgh.
In the battle the controls are functional, not particularly good but usable, I would guess a good gamepad would work much better but mine is playing up and a new Xbox360 controller is on route (yeah I know PC can use the Xbone pads but costs more and I just want a decent pad).

Rendering is actually pretty decent (except the pre-rendered cutscenes which are not awful but are noticeably less defined than the in-engine run scenes), the engine scales up well with the higher resolutions and is pretty smooth but then again the graphics while nice are not groundbreaking which is to be expected from a game from PS3 2008.

AI is a bit... suspicious, I mean it loves to run scouts into tank MG fire trying to get to the target hiding behind the tank... and loves to group up for a nice mortar round. and often forgets to crouch behind the sandbag it is standing next to... sniper fodder.

BUT all in all a decent port of a good game in my humble opinion.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Silkie on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 pm

I had a lot of fun on this on PS3 especially using Rosie to ambush an APC by using her speed to wreck it's engine.
"I prefer the company of animals more than the company of humans.
Certainly, a wild animal is cruel.
But to be merciless is the privilege of civilised humans."
Silkie
Experienced Member

Player: Silkie
STEAM_0:0:523712

Postby Munkehboi on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Yeah I got it orginally when it was released on PS3, really good solid TRPG. Took a little time to get use to the combat and system but great story though.

Munkehboi
Recruit Member

STEAM_Munkehboi

Postby Shuriken on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Really cheap in the sale at the moment, picked it up myself just now :)
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Binerexis on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Temptations runnin' high.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Return to Gamer's Retreat