World/Village/City building games

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

World/Village/City building games

Postby Binerexis on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Afternoon all!

I'm looking for a game where I can build up a town or city or something like that like Banished or Tropico but I've hit a bit of a stumbling block in my searches. What games like that have you guys enjoyed and can recommend?
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Re: World/Village/City building games

Postby coldandtired on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Of all games of this type I've tried, I keep coming back to Settlers IV. It's becoming more and more of a pain running it on each version of Windows, though.

Other than that, Caesar III, Stronghold, Alien Nations (I prefer micro-management).
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby Security on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Cities XL is pretty decent.
I also came across Mini Metro a couple of weeks ago which sort of fits the genre and is a fun little game.
Security
Experienced Member
Honorary UKCS Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Security
STEAM_0:0:8446840

Postby Flare on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Anno 1404 (the older Anno, rather than the modern one... its better in my opinion).

Timber and Stone (indie , self published , in development and slow progress BUT current game is fun for quiet a few hours)
http://www.timberandstonegame.com/ (dont worry about the last updated date, the forums have the devs describing progress and testers do have a new build).

Dwarf Fortress 2014, indie , free, difficult as hell, ASCII graphics unless you use a graphic tile, bad UI, HUGE amount of depth and details, tonnes to do and explore...
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Did I mention it was as hard as hell to learn and play initially ?
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Slavechild on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:56 pm

^^ YES! The old Anno games were amazing! I purchased the new one at release and it was a massive let down :(
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby The Ninja Pirate on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 am

How about Crusader Kings 2? So immersive and lots of stuff to do.
The Best ninja (and pirate) in East Finland.
The Ninja Pirate
Home Member

Postby Binerexis on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Cheers for all these suggestions guys!

Does Dwarf Fortress still have the beginner's tileset available? On mobile at the moment and can't check.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:45 pm

I believe there is a starter pack , where all the popular mods and popular tilesets are packed together with a Launcher GUI to simplify things.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

May be a build behind until the author updates the pack to the latest build, game is in a update frenzy while Toady fixes the bugs of the latest major DF release.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Shuriken on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:41 pm

There's a new version again D: Well thanks for the reminder and so long another 200 year dynasty lol

I will master shower room entrances this time, even if it kills me, again.

Edit: Forgot to leave recommendations because I am a self absorbed dwarf fetishist

Kind of skimming the genres, have you tried prison architect?
Craft the world is an arcadey take on it too, good for small sessions here and there, can be a bit grindy for long sessions.

Gnomoria seems decent as a dwarf fortress lite, though i've not had long to sit down with it and work out the limitations there.

If you do go down the crusader kings II route, as I know you like space and shit check this out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/crisis-of-the-confederation
Tis a full conversion mod, not quite complete yet but it's pretty ambitious and the little poke I had at it made it seem stable enough to enjoy
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Found a new one, I have more or less just messed about with the 1st world and used up about 4 hours and still not finished a tiny fraction of the technology tree, I could of been a tad faster if I wasnt such a neat freak in such games.
Game is called : Craft the World - Steam £13.99
It seems like a mobile game ported to PC but plays decently and is complex enough to satisfy most survivalist + builder genre lovers.
Its a like Terraria met Dwarf Fortress, you get the side action build and digging with the Dwarf management and crafting.
Has a campaign to let you slip into the style of the game without being overwhelmed but has a sandbox option with all the training wheels removed for that figure it out yourself style.
Graphics and sounds are pretty colourful and fun, the AI is not bad but can be annoying at times when building and digging, especially the idiots habit of falling off ladders which make long ladders a no no.

A LP of the game ep 1 - Campaign + Tutorial - a bit slow but you should be able to see if it appeals or not, dont let the simple look fool you... there is a lot of stuff to be crafted in the game and it aint easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28R60Ce4l0

Another older world survivor + sort of builder is Dont Starve by Klei, its a oddball of a game with unique aesthetics and humour. Player is tossed into a odd world with wierd rules and tasked to simply survive, the player will explore and exploit the world to survive its dangerous inhabitants and harsh environments, avoid the night monster and the hunt of the hounds, use pigmen and beefalo as allies and source of items.
Its a fun game but a bit of a slow burner, you can easily sink several hours into a world and suddenly fall victim to a stupid death and lose everything, its also full of moments where you can see the inevitable death but cant do anything as you spiral into a vicious cycle you cant break out... experience teaches you how to survive but initially, you get to restart a lot :P

Dont Starve - Steam - £10.99 - It has a DLC called Reign of Giants which adds a lot to the game but play vanilla before forking out the extra, also a Multiplayer DLC is in the works called Dont Starve Together (currently in early access / beta - read the owners of the original Dont Starve will get the game for free...not sure how that works to be honest)

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby tom13king on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I hear that Civilisation 5 is very good, although it more focuses on the war and competition elements more than the management.

tom13king
Recruit Member

Player: tom13king
STEAM_0:0:53949117

Return to Gamer's Retreat