[PC - F2P - Fishing Sim] Fishing Planet

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - F2P - Fishing Sim] Fishing Planet

Postby Flare on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Yes! You read that right, a Free to Play Fishing Simulator on the PC.
Game is called Fishing Planet and is available right now on Steam, still in development but has hours of content and is ridiculously fun... if you like fishing.
To save you time reading... the game is a good fishing simulator, so it ain't too arcade like...so no rock music blaring with a voice over shouting 'FISH ON!!' while you crank in the fish... its real quiet (too quiet actually), its more like real fishing in that its relaxing and chilled with some excitement when you realise the fish you hooked may be a decent size.
If you plan to be all MLGPRO 360 no scope headshot casting fish in e-Tourneys... wrong game for you mate :)

To those still reading...

Game is well presented with a reasonably simple UI, not overly complex yet still manages to provide a large array of proper fishing options in the form of equipment and tackle.
There is a progression system where you 'level up' and gain experience and credits for fish caught, achievements and simply logging on... oh yeah its online only, each player connects to central servers and all player data and fish data is stored on the server, no local data hacks but luckily each player gets a instance of the fishing spots to themselves, and only see other players in the chat box... no troll jumping in your face or casting over you, just you and the water.
It isnt very hard to start in, and is easy to get going initially but does get a little slower later but if you relax and enjoy the fishing rather than trying to grind levels you shouldn't have any issues with progression.

The business model is currently VERY generous, hell too generous as even the premium currency cannot be bought by real cash, you can only buy equipment packs in the form of DLC, credit packs to give you credits (which is the none premium currency) and premium membership which only boosts your exp and cash game... basically boosters.
The premium currency is coins (or gold) which is earned by catching unique classes of the various fish, leveling up, logging on 5 days in a row... may be other ways, I didnt notice I just fished and saw I had x amount of 'em, but you cant throw money at the screen and get 'em (yet, maybe the devs will add this, not mentioned though).
The coins buy special equipment and bait / tackle that is better than none premium stuff but isn't mandatory to have, just makes it easier and as mentioned you need to earn the coins and cant simply slap the game with your wallet.

Game itself is on the Unity engine but looks fantastic, I couldn't believe it was on Unity, the spots are so atmospheric, the water looks great, the line mechanics are awesome (you can see your line float on drifts, hang over some obstacles, react to bites, coil up if you dont keep up with the slack ), the ambiance is great too (if somewhat annoying in some spots with repetitive bird calls and fly buzzing).
The gameplay mechanics are solid with a few minor gripes that the devs have said they are looking into, and with the minimal UI elements (which can be hidden totally), you have all the information you need to fish (even without the UI the line and rod reactions can let you know if something is biting or not).
The minor issues are mostly about how fish school in certain spots leaving vast amounts of the water bare, and many players search out youtube vids to find the spots and 'grind' fish there rather than actually...fishing.
Sounds are sparse, some are annoying (bird calls and buzzing flies) while most do the job ok, I do wish more was added but do appreciate the lack of arcade style sound effects and music... the sounds do make it nice and peaceful, and you can always run some tunes on your MP3 player :P
My experience with the game has been for the most part bug free and lag free, I haven't had issues as a result of it being online with the occasional idiots on the chat (which can be hidden, or the individuals ignored / reported).

I have waited for a while to make this topic as I didn't want to rush in, and gush over the game with early game enthusiasm but at 90 hours in I can still easily recommend the game as long as you understand, its Fishing... if real life fishing doesn't appeal one bit...this game wont change that at all.
It is probably one of the best fishing simulators currently out there, and its early in its development and much more content is planned... by all signs, it looks like it can only get better.

Fishing Planet , on Steam , 64 bit client with an experimental 32 bit client, registration is quick and easy and not intrusive at all but currently 1 account for each Steam account (plans to fix this is in the works, according to the devs).
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: [PC - F2P - Fishing Sim] Fishing Planet

Postby Binerexis on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:29 pm

That... actually looks kind of interesting.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Hehe, what a mix bag of a days fishing...

Slow 1st day, couple of 1kg Bass in the bag, joining a earlier 2.2 kg trophy bass I got the other real life day (same day in game tho, it saves your time on your trip when you go to the menu or quit), then I got a huge hit and was fighting a fish I was certain could only be another trophy... and 8m from the shore, it 'escaped' due to some timer or random number generator.
Off to Steam to rant about it and wasn't the only one, but the devs already stated they are tuning things and aware of that issue...

... then I am fishing again for some relaxation, not worried about catches and I decided to try catch without any UI (you can hide the chat or both the chat and ALL the screen UI with a easy button toggle), from cast to net.
I found you can read the rod tip quiet easily, like in real life, and caught a lovely 2.2 kg trophy.

Some players hook the game up to a big TV for the ultimate chill and fish, and with xPadder I got the game to play nice with my gamepad... so I can even sit back and really chill :)

Oh yeah, didnt show any youtubes because, watching someone fish is more boring that watching a car rust in the sun... but playing the game is stupidly fun but I cant explain easily why it like that, and a lot of the players in the chat are remarking about how fun it is.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:09 pm

I have a really weird love-hate relationship with this type of game. I can guarantee I'll end up downloading it and thinking it's boring/stupid before losing a hefty chunk of hours to it like I did with Euro Truck Simulator and trading in X3.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:34 am

At the moment you dont have to spend anything, hell as long as you are careful with the in game licenses you should have no issues with needing cash, and you cant toss your wallet at the game for coins or gold either so... spending money is really just a case of tipping the devs AFTER you had enjoyed the game, and decided they deserve some pennies.

Some tips ...

1) Game has fishing licenses for each spot, and typically 1 - 2 advanced license types depending on area and fish types, they are not expensive but the fines can be. A 1 day license cover 24 hours in REAL TIME, so you can have a 4 day trip and only need a 1 day license if you do all 4 in a real time day but if you leave the game say on day 3 it will save your trip day but your license will carry on ticking away so you will need a new one the next day you resume fishing.

2) Except for your 'Home State' , which by default is set to Missouri when starting , travelling to other spots incurs a hefty travel cost but note it only incurs it once on a trip, even if the trip is 1 - 4 days. It is beneficial to stay at a spot for at least 2 - 3 days to earn the trip cost and earn some cash for gear and tackle.

3) You dont need to leave if your planned trip is done, you can extend it and only incur the small fee you pay per day, and not the travel cost... so you can make a 1 day trip and extend it as long as you need.

4) At midnight each day, the contents of your stringer/fishkeeper will be emptied and sold off and you will earn the cash and coin rewards. You only earn the cash and coins on the fish you kept till the stringer/keeper is emptied, BUT you earn EXP on every fish even those you release. You can press T to forward game time, so if you are done with a day and want to empty your stringer / keeper and start the next day, fast forward to a time AFTER midnight and it will 'cash in' and start you at the next day at the time you forwarded to.

5) Buying equipment at the store while on a trip is more expensive than when you are not on a trip (basically you have a home super store when not on a trip, and local fishing stores when on a trip, and while on a trip you are limited in what is available to buy), so plan to buy as much as you can before going on your trip and only buy bait and replacements on the trip...or emergency bits if needed.

6 ) You can damage your rod and reel and need to repair it, or it will break completely and need replacing so careful when trying to yank your line out of a snag.

7) When you have travelled to a state to fish, you get a map screen showing you 2 or more fishing spots at that location, it also shows weather for the next 5 days and peak fish activity times based on the weather, you can consult that to try fish in the peak times BUT its not 100% you can catch in off peak its just harder.

8) Press F9 for FPS and Ping details, press F1 for keybindings. Gamepad support is practically none existent at the moment without 3rd party software (like xPadder) but it plays better with M+K just can get a bit uncomfortable when waiting for bites or working the ponds for a long time.

If you dont go mad buying junk, and play the game with some thought to your in game finances you should find yourself never needing to worry about putting real money into the game, and its really easy to earn cash without needing to 'grind'. The game is not really like most F2P titles, it is really Free 2 Play and only boosters and credit packs are up for sale, plus DLC which you dont need at all unless you want to fast track and get a convenient equipment pack for a reasonable price, but you can easily earn credits and coins to buy the stuff in game too.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Samantha on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:38 pm

It's actually strangely fun haha. Would not have suspected that.
Samantha
Recruit Member

Player: Samalam
STEAM_0:0:86633355

Return to Gamer's Retreat